ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Default M6 surgeons

Does anyone know how to get a list of surgeons who use the m6? All I am aware of is clavel and dare. I tried emailing spinal kinetics and searched on their website to no avail.

It appears to be the latest and greatest and it perplexes me why more doctors don't use it. I daydream about it being used in the U.S. and my insurance company paying for it, at both levels! One would think I would daydream about a pain-free neck.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM

Jen,

Rather than email Spinal Kinetics, you can call their phone number, which is on their web site. The receptionist is trained to answer many questions. I don't know about that one.

I had a question about the device that I could not get answered after numerous phone calls and finally sent a hand written letter to Tom Afzal (sp?), the CEO. The next time I called they could not get me to the people I needed to speak with fast enough.

If you can acquire that list, I hope that you'll post it here. It could be beneficial to a great many others as well.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...tics-m6-11626/

L5S1 ADR with Nick Boeree 22-2-12 using the M6

No painkillers required after surgery from day 3 onwards. Now able to run and live free again. Back to work in full duty
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Default M6 docs

Somehow I just now saw both of your responses and I am on this site every day! Thanks so much and whatever I find out, I will of course share with the community.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Jen, just curious: why the focus on M6 as a solution to your pain? Please add a signature to your profile soon, thanks.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 AM

Default M6

I like the shock absorption and control of movement qualities it offers. Insurance will pay for a prodisc at c5 & fusion at c6, but from the research I have done, the m6 appears to be the newest generation that best mimics the natural disc plus I am terrified of fusion. I don't know what I will end up with or if disc replacement is the right answer for me... Just researching and praying A LOT! And suffering, let's not forget that.

I am much better since my foraminotomy, but my quality of life consists of going to work and to bed most of the time. I don't have to run a marathon in the future, but I would be so grateful for the muscle spasms to stop and the knife to be removed out of my neck and trapezius.

Sorry about the signature, I added one SOMEWHERE the first time I posted. I am pretty new at posting on forums. Thanks for everyone's precious time!

Thanks!
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery
Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jen, I'll be checking in from time to time.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Default M6

Hi Jen,

I'm baffled by why the M6 disc is not available in the United States as well, especially since it is manufactured in the state of California! The M6 is used practically everywhere except for the United States. I blame the FDA. I'm currently consulting with Dr. Ritter-Lang in Germany and Dr. Clavel in Barcelona. The M6 is most appealing to me for several reasons: 1) some of my pain is caused by facet joints, damaged soft tissue, and motion irritating nerves, 2) the M6 restricts some motion relieving pressure from these damaged areas, 3) I am not allergic to any of the materials used to make the M6, the few discs approved for use in the United States contain a lot of metals, specifically surgical steel, which contains nickle which I am allergic to. 4) I'm seeking multi-layer M6 ADR for C5/6 & C6/7 for it seems more promising than a double layer fusion for someone my age with DDD. 5) You can have a fusion after having ADR if the ADR is not successful, however, you cannot have ADR once fusion has been done. 6) Fusions are helpful for some and done all the time by the surgeons I mentioned above, however, it does not seem like the best option for me given my age, and the rate at which my discs are degenerating.
2011- Left c5/6 Discetomy & Foraminotomy
2012- MRI c5/6 Re-ruptured
Current- Evaluating surgical options, 1 layer ADR or double layer fusion (here in the US) or double layer ADR in Germany.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 AM

Default M6

Hi!

Thanks for your post. I live in California yet I would have to travel out of the country to get it. Maybe I should just bring the M6's with me. Frustrating for sure. The plane fare alone is staggering—somedays I considering selling a kidney to pay for all this! J Have you read any of the posts by Marti from Benicia? She lives close as well and went to England for exactly what we both need (multi-level ADR @ C5-C7).

I’m curious how you know that some of your pain is caused by facet joints? Also, did you have a metal allergy test or you are just aware from past reactions/exposure? Just this week I asked my doctor to give me a prescription to be tested. It blows my mind that a lot of surgeons will just “install” an ADR without testing the patient first. I cannot fathom having such an invasive procedure to then discover that the one thing I thought was going to be my cure exacerbated my condition.

We think alike-it is comforting to have another option (fusion after ADR or ??). I daydream about an injection like the “discogel” where the damaged disc is removed through a small needle and a gel is injected that will restore my disc height and release my nerves from this relentless squeezing!! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I would love to hear about what progress you are making.
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Metal Allergy Test

FYI regarding metal allergy testing before ADR

metal allergy testing

I had mine done a few months ago and the results put my mind at ease....the company is very helpful if you have any issues you need help with....have a great day!!!!
2012-5th & 6th Dr. Opionion=ADR
Dexa Scan
Metal Alergy Test
May 17, 2012---L4/5 ADR, M6-L, Dr. Clavel
Barcelona Spine Center