PDA

View Full Version : Actual Cost of Prodisc-L Device

Jdouglas
05-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I thought that this might deserve a new thread. I was told by my hospital that the Prodisc-L device cost is $32,000. This is for the device only. Has anyone seen a device cost on their billing personal or insurance? It's not as if Synthes would just tell me if they called.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
L5S1 Herniation and Annular tear
Over 10 epidurals,
DDD, 2 discograms (positive),
Countless attempts at conservative therapy.
Surgery date 5-26-09

trkdoc714
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
If I remember correctly, I read an article by Synthes stating the cost of a ProDisc L was $8,000 - $8,500. The article was printed over a year ago. If I can dig it up, I'll try to post it.

The cost of my second Maverick was $4,000 Euro which at the time was $5,400.00. I can't imagine there's a $28,000 difference in disc cost.

Bob

Jdouglas
05-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Man, that really pisses me me off. If you find that article please let me know. I will stick it up their ...

tigerpaw75
04-06-2010, 12:36 AM
My wife and I just paid for ADR surgery at one level with a fusion at the level below. We had to pay for the ADR. Estimated that the hospital charged us $12,500 for the Prodisc.

Harrison
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Y’all…

There are 1.2 zillion variables which can account for confusing price differences among institutions. Here are some of them:

1. Domestic device prices vs. International prices (they are substantially different)
2. Domestic surgical prices vs. International prices (they are substantially different)
3. International currency exchange rates
4. How inclusive the pricing is; e.g. cost of the surgeon’s services, cost of the OR team (nurses, vascular surgeon, anesthesiologist), disposables, the cost of the hospital’s services
5. The billing codes that were used.

These account for most of the differences in pricing. As patients become vocal (both pre and post-op) and competition increases, it appears that providers are actually improving their price transparency. But are costs coming down?! Time will tell.

Here’s another perspective. I’ll have my seventh pain-free anniversary in June with my Charite’ at L5-S1. If that device lasts a lifetime, it’s worth every penny. And then some.

melholnyc
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi all, I am hoping to have a hybrid procedure with Pro L disc at L4-5 and fusion at L5/S1. I think my insurance will pay for all but the device. I live in Texas. Does anyone have any idea what the actual device costs? Do you have to buy it from your particular surgeon or can you get it direct from the manufacturer or maybe overseas? Can anyone share their experience with the hybrid surgery?

melholnyc
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi there, any ideas of Pro L disc cost now? Will Synthes or anyone sell to individuals? Or is it available overseas?

scoop302
08-30-2013, 11:32 PM
I have been offered multi level fusions paid for, or 2 Bryan disc's (it is what's available here in Fl.) as long as I pay, Then I can go after the ins. co. The Drs. office said the disc's were 10k each, cost of surgery is 40k (including disc's) I asked what fusion would be and they said between 50 and 60k.

TPatti
08-31-2013, 07:51 AM
US pricing is still crazy! $60,000 for a 2 level compared to $40,900 (31,000 euros @1.32) for the 3 level I just had with Dr. Bierstedt in Germany which included 6 days in hospital after surgery and then 8 days of rehab (full days of rehab, see me thread) including hospital meals for both myself and my wife and lunch at the rehab center for both of us.

scoop302
09-01-2013, 05:53 PM
40k for everything. That is just the surgery, no hospital, therapy, etc. I think I will be going to Germany as soon as I get my lumbar MRI and see how bad that is.

Harrison
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Guys, Texas Back is quoting patients $35,000 for a 2 level pro-disc for an all-inclusive. Be careful about making assumptions about "US" costs -- they still vary widely. Texas Back also has aggressive appeal support services and people know Blue Corpse Blue Sled et al policies, so there reimbursement successes are comparatively higher than most any in the US or abroad.

TPatti
09-02-2013, 08:09 PM
does "all inclusive" include 7 to 8 days of comprehensive therapy after or just the surgery? Also, how many days in the hospital?