PDA

View Full Version : Just another confused newbie trying to decide

michelle4
03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi there,
have been reading several threads and think it will be a while before I can give responsible answers!!

I fractured my spine at L5 (I think) when I was 15 and also dislocated my pelvis. No real treatment at the time, pain relief and strapping for 2 weeks, no follow up requested. After the birth of my 4th (2003) started getting low grade back pain which nurofen helped and was very mangeable. 5 yrs ago a sneeze would have me flat for days, or sweeping, vacuming etc. did the rounds of GP/Chiro/acupuncture/reflexology/pilates/yoga/pain relief and so on.

got terrible sciatica during a tennis game and this took 4 wks with physio/tens pain relief to go. returned to tennis along with above routine but eventually had to quit tennis and body combat as back ache terrible with little relief. increased pilates but again...agony- so 2 1/2 yrs ago gave up every excercise except for walking swimming and osteo and/ or chiro acupuncture and deep tissue massage. tore a disc and had very intensive osteo treatments but even walking brought on too much pain to be able to manage my family (hubby away mon-fri) got cleaner in for even more time and did very little at all. since xmas becoming less and less mobile and the nerve compression is awful. physio gave me the tennis ball to release tightness in muscles but otherwise wont touch me and GP sent me to neurosurgeon saying its about time....

Neurosurgeon says am beyond options other than surgical at this point but could delay inevitable with nerve blocks etc if I choose to. he reckons the only long term plan to get me back on my feet properly again is fusion at L5 and ADR at L4 along with cleaning away debris. am going for bone density and an MRI on friday before I return to him, but he felt a double ADR would not be suitable, that fusion at the base with the ADR would be a better option and may also help slow DDD up further...

My physio after this, said he felt that is what I would be told and that e would work with me to rehab. this all feels very drastic but I have no idea and did not expect such a huge fix though am willing to do it if it means I can walk more than 50ft again and stay on my feet longer than 10 mins

What I would like to know is...does this sound like an acceptable appraoch after all of the above or is too much?

I am sorry this is sooo long (my physio was the one for the olympic team, national rugby team etc and my neurosurgeon is Dr. R. Kahler, whom I did feel he seemed to know what he was doing) oh and the ADR is A MAV not yet ok for use in the states, but is here and in europe.

the other possibly big problem is that I have huge skin allergies to metal but my GP doesnt know what to ask for in the test ??? will neuro deal with this?

I really appreciate your time to this clueless newbie who justs want to be able to be on her feet and care for her kids!

Harrison
03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Michelle, thx for finding us. I am sorry that you are here, but I hope we can help you. I may comment again in a few days...I trust others will offer some good input. Feel free to email or PM me too.