PDA

View Full Version : Eating

Harrison
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Food for thought -- literally!

Eating (http://premium.naturalnews.tv/Eating__NN.htm#)

Ideas, comments and then some are appreciated.

annapurna
12-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I hate getting in arguments about "my doctor is better than your doctor" but I'm going to indulge briefly. I'd mentioned elsewhere that I was VERY impressed with the diet that Dr. Hauser offers at Caring Medical in Chicago. The reason why I was impressed, and my first concern with the Rave diet referenced in your video, is that Hauser starts with blood pH, glucose tolerance, and insulin testing to determine how your body is handling your current diet and how well you metabolize sugars. If the Rave diet started with that same basic information and was tailorable to match your body's metabolism, I'd really like the idea. In fact, that's my overall indictment of all one-size-fits-all diets: how do they know that my body's metabolism will work the way they think it will?

Other than that, it looks like the Rave diet espouses an all plant based approach. If you add the need to eat organic produce to that basic idea, it seems like a solid idea. I will point out that, as Michael Pollan wrote, even cultures that ate meat more or less exclusively failed to have the health challenges caused by the Western diet. From that standpoint, it's clear that the need is to move to a diet that isn't based on the Western paradigm of commodity food. That is, you can't be healthy just living on vitamin and mineral supplementation and normal grocery store pre-prepared foods.

I know that it's old news by now, but I'd suggest a simpler approach following mostly Pollan's Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. From that, tailor your selection of what you eat based on what your metabolism can handle based on some basic testing.

On a side note, I've known that I was allergic to certain foods for close to 40 years now. Recently, Laura and I have been checking into the differences between IgE allergic reactions (translated into layman terms: acute and often severe reactions) and IgG sensitivities (subtle effects). We've both sent off for IgG testing with Alcat but haven't received the results yet. If the company does well, I'll post here and let everyone know.

Harrison
12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Jim, Laura...

Many people have literally eaten their way out of health problems, which is intriguing, but not possible for everyone. I am curious about your diet changes -- and sacrifices -- have you two gotten better because of your iterative changes? I'd be curious if your blood pH (and saliva) changed during your doc's care and dietary changes. For sure, your oral pH affects your bacterial flora!

I have met people that "eaten" their way out of arthritis, IBS, mood problems and/or juiced their way out of back pain. Of course, these were all different people, different problems, different diets. But what is cool is that they committed to a change and stuck to it.

And thx for the reminder on Pollan's book...I'll check to see if my library has it. Should I buy it? Do you find it's a good reference too?

Hope your test results are unambiguous, interesting and helpful. :)

annapurna
12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
If you can give me about 2-3 weeks, I can give you pretty much the whole story. Our allergy test results just came in and we both discovered that we do show IgG on an unfortunately large number of our staple foods. We'll need a little while to find suitable replacements and see how well we feel with them.

Harrison
12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Yikes...sorry....thanks.

annapurna
12-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Sorry, didn't answer all of your questions. Pollan's are, in my opinion, best checked out of the library. They're thought provoking and, if you buy into the thoughts, life changing but not something that you're going to need at hand to reference once you're read and understood the ideas.

Obviously, we're still in the midst of dietary changes. Laura's knee arthritis hasn't miraculously vanished in response to the better diet. The pain hasn't diminished and it's WAY too early to see if better overall health has resulted in better stem cell growth within the knee. For me, I've had a large number of medical challenges that were minor, a couple major ones like cancer, but most minor. Overall, it added up to a general poor health, poor energy level and poor attitude. Those are changing already and I'd expect that to continue. It wouldn't have fixed a bad spinal disk but it would mean that I'd work out more and be less likely to damage one or recover better after the surgery to fix one that was already bad. It also touches on a topic that Rich and I have discussed in the past: the spine cascade (for the lack of a better term).

On ADRSupport, of the patients that didn't start their spine problems with a single traumatic event, a dismaying number seem to wind up with a whole series of spinal problems. Surgeries to correct one problem succeed only to reveal a second which requires correction to reveal a third and so on. In comparison, others have all of the same problems, and more sometimes, but never develop pain or see any effect on their quality of life. Diet isn't the sole cause but the experiences I'm going through convinced me that it is a base cause for overall poor health that manifests in numerous, apparently unrelated, areas. Laura's comment, "Food is medicine," was true for me.

Pollan's Food Rules book has a number of pithy summarizations of his other books to produce a series of rules to eat by. For example, one is to eat food that ate what it was intended to. Eat grass-fed ruminants instead of grain-fed for instance. I'll add to that eating what your body needs. I turned out to be a mild reactive hypoglycemic during Hauser's tests. He explained that my body obviously should not be fed easy to digest sugars if I wanted to have a stable blood sugar level. For me, fruits needed to be limited even though I could eat vegetables as I wanted. That's why I'm concerned about a one-size-fits-all vegetarian diet. It may not work right for everyone.

annapurna
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
It's looking like my diet manifesto will be delayed. Overall, my health is improved but the reason I know that is less than positive. The radical changes in diet have placed me in the position of needing WAY MORE FIBER than I've been able to get. The resulting problems have cut into my sleep and contributed to a general feeling of ill-health. I know that I've improved my health because I would have caught a cold by now with as little sleep as I've been getting. Excuse me now, it's looking like I need to fry up a rattan doormat so I can start putting problems behind me (so to speak).

Harrison
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Jim,

In case you missed it, an article in today's WSJ - dunno if there's anything new in here for you:

New Guide to Who Really Shouldn't Eat Gluten

New Guide to Who Really Shouldn't Eat Gluten - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204136404577206891526292590.html)

The comments are interesting too.

Harrison
02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Wish I had to time to read this -- maybe next month! Give this is a read, check out the comments too:

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food

Author's web site:

Deep Nutrition | drcate.com (http://drcate.com/deep-nutrition-the-ancient-science-of-human-engineering/)