PDA

View Full Version : Just came back from Germany

Claudia K.
12-22-2012, 02:20 PM
It's a beautiful day and I can be in it again, without chronic pain! After four years of low back pain and siatic pain, artificial disc replacement was the best decision I made. Now, I get up in the morning with no stiffness or pain, no nerv pain or tingling in my foot either. Looking forward to play with my kids again.Yes, I have some surgical pain but this is by far better then the chronic pain I had. I just wanted to let you know that there is hope out there. My live is much better now already!:jacks:

Harrison
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, glad you are better! I assume you got the M6. Happy that you had a good outcome, given that you went to a Stenum-affiliated (http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f49/what-stenum-hospitals-reputation-10308/)doctor! Peace and comfort to you in all the days ahead. :angel:

Claudia K.
12-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi Harrison, I went to Dr. Bierstedt because of his experience in artificial disc replacement and good reviews about him on german forums.
My disc is called Mobidisc L with spike like ankering in the vertebra, I got this model because it was the best choice for my back since I have hyperlordosis and a M6 had a slight chance to slip.

Harrison
12-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks for clarifying. It's been a while since we have anyone here with a Mobi. Did you have a choice of various discs -- or did the doc highly recommend that one because of your hyperlordosis?

I always liked the idea of having a surgeon that has experience with different disc designs...

BTW, for you and others, the Deutsche-specific Mobi information:

http://de.ldrmedical.com/Produkte/Thorakolumbal/MobidiscLumbaleBandscheibenprothese

jss
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Claudia,

Welcome back and congratulations! Good luck on your continued recovery.

Jeff

Claudia K.
12-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jeff!

Harrisson,
I know that he implants a variety of discs exept the charite. For me he recommended the Mobidisc. I know of other people who got different discs. What I liked about Dr. Bierstedt is that he trys to find the disc that works for your individual spine.
On a different note, I noticed that I had some more muscle pain driving my car, I'm on no medication right know. Maybe I should just slow down a bit.

johnwhof
01-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Hi Claudia, I had surgery in Germany (Dr. Bierstedt) in late September, and I had a lot of muscle pain in my legs for about 2 months. It's almost all gone now, and I feel very good. What symptoms did you have post surgery?

Claudia K.
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi John,
Good to hear you're feeling better. when I came out of surgery the nerv pain and the chronic pain I had mainly on my right lower back was gone completely. I did however wake up with tingling on top of my left foot. That took about one week to go away and Dr. Bierstedt told me that this can happen from just manipulating the nervs and that this was only temporarly.
I do have some muscle soreness and spasm above my operated level, I feel it the most when I get out of my car. It has gotten alot better and I just started physical therapy to strenghten my muscles. Did you go to physical therapy when you came back from Germany? I think we are still improving.

johnwhof
01-28-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes, I did go for PT and massage. I went twice a week for 2 months, and now I'm down to once a week massage, and PT every 2 weeks. I am feeling very good recently, hardly any pain at all anymore.

TPatti
01-29-2013, 06:22 AM
That is great news!

Claudia K.
01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, I did go for PT and massage. I went twice a week for 2 months, and now I'm down to once a week massage, and PT every 2 weeks. I am feeling very good recently, hardly any pain at all anymore.

Wow, three level ADR, sounds like you had a very good outcome.

Rev. Zen
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi Claudia, I am very happy for you and your outcome. I am still trying to figure my own situation and I had a question for you.

In terms of paying for the surgery, were you able to use insurance in any way or did you simply have to pay for the surgery out of your own pocket?

Claudia K.
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi Rev. Zen,
It's quite a process. I did pay out of pocket. In my case BCBS would not pay for anything not even a fusion (denied appeals too). Hope you find a possible solution soon.
Claudia

TPatti
02-07-2013, 04:40 PM
What grounds did they deny fusion? BCBS just approved fusion for me, but I do not want or I want a disc at compromised adjacent levels.

johnwhof
02-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Wow, three level ADR, sounds like you had a very good outcome.

Hi Claudia, sorry it took so long to reply. My outcome is awesome, so far. I only wish everyone would have similar success.

TPatti
02-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Johnwhof,
What shape were your discs relevant to lost height? Opinion differences that I am stating to get range from 3 level adr to 2 level fusion w/ adr because of fear of too much distraction based on my low disc height and the assumption that my body has been that way for a long time.

johnwhof
02-07-2013, 11:23 PM
I gained about one inch in height, I was told that there would be some healing pain as a result, but it was very minimal.

Claudia K.
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
What grounds did they deny fusion? BCBS just approved fusion for me, but I do not want or I want a disc at compromised adjacent levels.

Hi TPatti,
I was denied under MillimanGuidelines ORG W0072 stating that DDD is not an approved condition for lumbar fusion procedure.."does not meet the medical necessity criteria."
It was the end of the year and I met my deductible. My guess is that they wanted to wait it out, maybe until the new year. I just couldn't wait any longer. Best of luck to you,
Claudia

johnwhof
02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I hope this answers your question. I'm not quite sure what you are saying. I was told that I had made a good choice in getting the procedure done when I did because all 3 discs were completely done.

Claudia K.
02-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I gained about one inch in height, I was told that there would be some healing pain as a result, but it was very minimal.

Hi johnwhof,
Me too:laugh: I'm an inch taller! Still having, what I think, is "deconditioned" muscles around my operated area. Hope to resolve this with PT. Getting in and out of the car is not a problem anymore.
Claudia

johnwhof
02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
It's awesome to hear you are doing so much better! Keep it up!

Boxer78
02-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Clauda I find ur success very interesting as I am currently trying to contact dr bierstedt. May I ask how he determines what size and height disc to use and was his approach front the front or an more of an angle. U seem to be a true success and your doctor is top notch thx in advance.

TPatti
02-08-2013, 07:52 AM
I hope this answers your question. I'm not quite sure what you are saying. I was told that I had made a good choice in getting the procedure done when I did because all 3 discs were completely done.

I was referring to the amount of height lost between the vertebra of the affected discs from the compression of the degenerative disks.

Claudia K.
02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Clauda I find ur success very interesting as I am currently trying to contact dr bierstedt. May I ask how he determines what size and height disc to use and was his approach front the front or an more of an angle. U seem to be a true success and your doctor is top notch thx in advance.

Hi Boxer78,
Glad to hear you getting some answers. Have you heard from Dr. Bierstedt yet?
My surgery was done anterior (from the front), my insicion is about five inches long and horizontal under the belly button. The surgeon has special distractor instruments to bring the vertebral space to normal hight then he can implant the appropriate size artificial disc. Dr.Bierstedt answered any question I had, he is very personable. Glad to hear my story can help somebody else.
Claudia

Boxer78
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Yes I've made contact and am sending my info to him. I swear docs in this country scare me. Today I saw a top level spine surgeon who said despite my herniations and burning pain radiating through my groin feet and legs says the herniations aren't that bad???????? I mean at what point is it enough? When I'm unable to walk or peeing on myself?? Thx for info

Boxer78
02-08-2013, 11:25 PM
And then said all he could do was a fusion and disc replacement has come and gone in this country??

annapurna
02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Yes I've made contact and am sending my info to him. I swear docs in this country scare me. Today I saw a top level spine surgeon who said despite my herniations and burning pain radiating through my groin feet and legs says the herniations aren't that bad???????? I mean at what point is it enough? When I'm unable to walk or peeing on myself?? Thx for info

Quick test: if the surgeon doesn't ask about your condition and confines him or herself to just reading the films, that's a bad sign. They should be concerned with how you're doing, not what your films say. Once they understand your condition, the films should be helping them understand what's happening with your spine.

Boxer78
02-09-2013, 02:38 AM

Johan you mind me asking what your exercise capabilities are?

Boxer78
02-09-2013, 02:41 AM

Quick test: if the surgeon doesn't ask about your condition and confines him or herself to just reading the films, that's a bad sign. They should be concerned with how you're doing, not what your films say. Once they understand your condition, the films should be helping them understand what's happening with your spine.

I totally agree I mean if I had no herniations etc I could understand but my back is mangled and my lower body is on fire!!! What else you need??? How are your exercise regiments??

Claudia K.
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Yesterday was my first day back at work and it felt good working again. I had just minor soreness above my surgery level. After Ultrasound and Tens unit I did fine. It never happened before surgery that I improved so quickly to a 1 on a pain scale. Now, a day later I feel great! :beer:

johnwhof
02-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Great to hear Claudia, keep it up!
I will be 5 months post op on Monday, and I'm able to do quite a bit of physical labour already without hardly any pain!:clap:

Claudia K.
02-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Hi johnwhof,
That is awesome, its good to hear from sombody else, who had surgery bei Dr. Bierstedt, to have a great outcome! How did you find him?

jss
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
I will be 5 months post op on Monday, and I'm able to do quite a bit of physical labour already without hardly any pain!:clap:

Congratulations on a great outcome!

Claudia K.
03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Just a quick update; had my three month follow up xrays done and everything looks good. .:clap:

Lillyth
03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
That is so wonderful to hear! :clap:

Claudia K.
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Hi Lillyth,
Thank you, I wish you all the best for your upcomming surgery!!!

Lillyth
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Thank you! I hope to be celebrating right along with you very soon!

MikeC
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Hello fellow members,

Claudia has had great experience with Dr Bierstedt. Has anyone else here had surgery with him?

I ready many comments about Dr Clavel but I a, looking for more feedback on Dr Bierstedt.

Thank you for any input.

Mike

Stonewall_Boris
05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
I had a three level ADR lumbar spine surgery with Dr. Bierstedt. The M6 was used. As much as surgery sucks, they were all really good. The hospital in Hattegen, the post op at Medicos. And Dr. Bierstedt , down to earth, and he makes you feel comfortable about what you are going to have to go through. Plus, in following him in some of his work, he's done some amazing surgeries.

MikeC
05-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I had a three level ADR lumbar spine surgery with Dr. Bierstedt. The M6 was used. As much as surgery sucks, they were all really good. The hospital in Hattegen, the post op at Medicos. And Dr. Bierstedt , down to earth, and he makes you feel comfortable about what you are going to have to go through. Plus, in following him in some of his work, he's done some amazing surgeries.
Hello Boris; I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the experience. How are you feeling now about 5 months after your surgery? I am still on the fence. Thank, Mike