PDA

View Full Version : Zeegers now uses M6L when appropriate

simeoni
04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I just stopped by to inform you this:

Dr. Zeegers states in his facebook profile (check it out: Willem Zeegers) that he does use M6L when appropriate. He uses ActivL alongside. He does have some doubts about viscoelastic discs, but he DOES use it. The fact that he is critical about it and uses it only when he sees it appropriate might make him a very potential surgeon to consult.

jss
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Simeoni,

Thank you for dropping by with this information. As reported outcomes with the M6-L have been overwhelmingly positive, and given Dr Zeegers' stellar reputation, that combination, an M6 implanted by Dr Zeegers, will almost certainly become highly sought after.

I trust that your continuing recovery with your ProDisc is still going well?

Thanks, Jeff

simeoni
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi,

As an engineer, I find it difficult not keeping up with the ADR things (though mentally I should probably move on to an other subject of interest :insane:). Interestingly, I also found out that one of the top Finnish (public health) surgeons consults Zeegers on the very problematic cases.

There has previously also been a lot of talk about Bertagnoli`s ties to Prodisc. The link below implies that Zeegers MIGHT have some similar ties with LDR:

Willem Zeegers - Inventor Patent Directory, Page 1 (http://www.patentmaps.com/inventor/Willem_Zeegers_1.html)

Is this bad? I think that the most experienced surgeons (like Z and B) have a lot to give to medical device industry and it is good that they help design a device that they are the most comfortable working with. Of course there is some risk of bias, but that applies to most surgeons anyway.

I had a positive experience with Dr.B. Though as a perfectionist, I must say that his thoroughness regarding diagnosis may not match Zeegers (from what I`ve read and heard).

I just created a signature. It should be shown below and tell you about my status. After 2 years it seems like things are still improving. The shoulder adds a lot to the equation here. Anyway, I`m back to living my life and working with certain limitations.

jss
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
It is well known that Dr Zeegers is a paid representative of LDR. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing though. While his financial ties may lead him to use LDR products where other surgeons would use a different device, those ties are a powerful motivator to implant the device perfectly; which by all accounts Dr Zeegers seems to do every time. We see the same thing with other surgeons that have (Bertagnoli) or have had (Zigler) financial ties to other devices; in that bad outcomes appear to be few and far between.

simeoni
04-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Well put! All surgeons have some kind of financial ties. It just seems to me unjustified to single out one or two surgeons while it is vastly common.

The question is do the financial ties affect the outcome positively or negatively. There are not many discs a single surgeon can master. And if you want to do a good responsible job, you cannot change your preferred disc too often.

I think experience and surgical skills, not to mention critical view on what kind of surgery is needed if any, are the most important factors. There are "knife happy" surgeons and ones that deny surgery until it is too late. I`ve seen both types.

This went a little off topic. But I must say that being European, my conception is that the use of ADR (especially cervical) among Europeans has been exaggerated on many sites that market ADR for Americans. It is still a marginal procedure in most European countries. Eg. there is nobody in Finland that does cervical ADR besides a single study group. Lumbar is more common, but also rare.

simeoni
07-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Now it is official:

MedKiozk | drs. Willem Zeegers (http://www.medkiozk.com/)

Seems like Zeegers has switched from activ-c cervical option to M6. So, cervical M6 preferring patients, one more option.