PDA

View Full Version : Pre op procedure with Dr Clavel

SonjaB
05-29-2013, 06:26 PM
This is not strictly post op but I have no idea where else to post this and I'll be post op in a week anyway ;)

My question is about the pre op process. Those of you who have been to Barcelona could you give me a list of what they did at your pre op meeting and how long it all took please? I would like to have some idea of what's in store for me before I get there.

Thanx.

Buckeyeback
05-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi Sonja,

If I remember right it was,... blood test, chest x ray, EKG and consultation with Dr. Clavel. :)

~Buckeyeback

Running11
05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Sonja,

I did my pre-op in California . I don't know how different it is. I went in the day before (sames as Barcelona) I saw a physician that my surgeon made an appointment with . He went over my general health, medications and what I was getting done. He examined me ; blood pressure , EKG, and took my temperature . They really want to make sure your not sick since they have you go in the day before.

Then he sent me to the hospitial for a complete blood work -up. Whatever that is for and what they were checking out. Since I was so anxious I didn't want to know. Sometimes , they want you to donate blood and do a cross-type.

I know how you feel . I was filled with anxiety . I even got a script of Valium the week before or so of my surgery. Maybe your medical doctor can give you some if you think I need it. It sure helped me ! It's ok if you do just to get you through this scary and challenging time!:wiggle: You'll do great!

Tammi

SonjaB
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanx guys,
Blood tests, EKGs X-rays, consults ..... No wonder it takes most of the day!

I'm gonna be pretty hungry that's for sure, no food after midnight the day we arrive, all day next at pre op, no food from midnight that day as op next day and in the afternoon to boot!

They pick us up at the apartment 7:30am both days, jet lag, what jet lag? Obviously won't have time for it lol.

Tammi I have Valium for the spasms in my legs but won't take any the day of the tests as I don't want to give a false EKG. I'm on blood meds as it is, I think I am more scared they will tell me I can't have the surgery for some reason than actually having the surgery ;)

3 days now till we fly out, panicking? Whose panicking? Oh yeah, that will be me then :laugh:

2Confused
05-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Sonja,

I did everything here, sent copies over & took hard copies with me. Blood Tests, Xrays, MRI's, Bone Density, etc...

Good Luck!

Running11
05-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Sonja,

Just think when your scared , think of me and that your not alone. I broke out in hives when they told me( before I went in for surgery at 2 p.m.) that I would stay in ICU after my surgery. What? Why didn't you tell me this yesterday? The examining physician had to leave his practice which was across the street to sign some forms to give me Ativan to calm me down. It's a funny story now but it wasn't at the moment.

I said, I'm sorry doctor but I'm really anxious. I have anxiety and this surgery is REALLY making me extra anxious. So, the doctor felt the only safe med before mysurgery was Ativan.

I was also anxious because I couldn't eat nor drink since midnight and it was now 2 pm. The nurse couldn't get an IV in (4x's she tried) because (duh) I was dehydrated and my veins weren't showing at all! Usually, when I give blood the nurses all say I have good veins and you can REALLY see them through my skin but you couldn't then because I became so dehydrated.

It is stressful! It is scary for most people! Trust me , if I can do it you can! It will be worth it in the end. You can do it!! I'm rooting for you!:jacks:

Tammi

Running11
05-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Sonja,

Just think when your scared , think of me and that your not alone. I broke out in hives when they told me ( before I went in for surgery at 2 p.m.) that I would stay in ICU after my surgery. What? Why didn't you tell me this yesterday? The examining physician had to leave his practice, to calm me down, which was across the street to sign some forms to give me Ativan . It's a funny story now but it wasn't at the moment.

I said, I'm sorry doctor but I'm really anxious. I have anxiety and this surgery is REALLY making me extra anxious. So, the doctor felt the only safe med before my surgery was Ativan.

I was also anxious because I couldn't eat nor drink since midnight and it was now 2 pm. The nurse couldn't get an IV in (4x's she tried) because (duh) I was dehydrated and my veins weren't showing at all! Usually, when I give blood the nurses all say I have good veins and you can REALLY see them through my skin but you couldn't then because I became so dehydrated.

It is stressful! It is scary for most people! Trust me , if I can do it you can! It will be worth it in the end. You can do it!! I'm rooting for you!:jacks:

Tammi

Running11
05-31-2013, 12:52 AM
sorry for the double post ..
Tammi

mcjagger
05-31-2013, 06:18 AM
I too did everything preop in the states with my pcp who orders everything that I need done....one less cost overseas....I sent all the results via email and took hard copies as backup....pack some warm cloths Sonja as it barely made into the 60's today....I'm from Texas and it doesn't get into the 60's at night never mind the high for the day :))

CurtM
05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
I went in at 7:30AM and they did the blood test within about 45mins, then a chest X-ray which took 15 seconds, then the AKG, it took about 15 minutes, then the consultation with Clavel, had to wait for about 20 minutes to see him then then it took about 20 minutes with him, by this time it was about 11:00, we had to wait 2 hrs to meet with the anesthesiologist because he was in surgery, that took about 15-20 minutes and we were off to see more of the city. So 7:30-2:00 is how long it took for my pre-op stuff but it would have been 2 hrs shorter if he had not been in a surgery.

SonjaB
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Things are getting clearer! Thanks for the warning James I've thrown a light jacket and extra sweater in the case, 60F? brrrrr!

Curt, I can see how the schedule will work, they have said 1pm for the anesthesiologist but it's good to know that he may be late. I presume there is a cafeteria on the premises as hubby will starve otherwise lol

I'm surprised you guys did the tests here as I thought they were included in the price quoted, Curt did you pay extra here? I would have thought the tests would have costs more here but with a $7000 deductible I get to pay regardless!

Any last minute things to think about? We fly out Sunday morning, not long now......

CurtM
06-03-2013, 04:56 AM
I did not do any of the pre-op tests here in the states, I asked the dr if it was. Necessary for them and a metal allergy test but he said it wasnt.

2Confused
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Good luck Sonja!