PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Clavel's price?

twowheelyankee
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Hey all,

I have heard the stories on how going overseas (aka Dr. Clavel is so much cheaper). I received my quote at approx $37000.00 US. Texas back Institute quoted me a price of $42000.00. Just a $5K difference. It is not exactly apples to apples. But, Dr. Clavel's quote did include a few more days in the hospital and some PT sessions. The PT can be canceled out by the airfare costs. And a stay in a US hospital can be pricey. But I am shocked at the close proximity of pricing. In addition, any complications occurring back home, may lead to difficulty finding a doctor that will accept you as a patient.

No direct question, basically just making a comment to inform others....

NJ Gene
06-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Twowheelyankee,

How many levels are you talking about? $37K is only $5K less than TBI, but I am pretty sure that this price (the $37K) includes most of the lodging costs, some meals, and rehabilitation post-surgery.

Furthermore, based on what you told me about TBI being an assembly-line, I would rather pay about the same amount of money (assuming I had no insurance coverage for TBI) out-of-pocket (after factoring in flights to Barcelona) and having the better M6 discs placed in me.

Now, if you told me, you could get the M6 at TBI, and that it wasn't such an assembly-line, I would consider staying in the U.S. for the reasons you mentioned.

Gene

twowheelyankee
06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Hey gene,

My estimates are for a single level lumbar. For me its a moot point because I finally won my insurance appeal. So to me, it's a no brainer seeing that the doctor's are relatively equal. From what I see, Dr. Clavel is also an excellent doctor but has done over 500 ADRs... so assembly line also?????

My concern is aftercare, especially with an anterior approach.

NJ Gene
06-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Twowheelyankee,

Congratulations on getting the insurance approval. Just an FYI, from what I've heard, Dr. Clavel performs 2 to 3 surgeries a day. Not an assembly-line. Now, Dr Ritter-Lang at Stenum Hospital does 6 to 7 surgeries a day. That's an assembly-line.

Best of luck!!

Gene

SonjaB
06-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Actually we had a long talk with Yolanda and Nicci separately. This week for instance is his 'off' week with no surgeries. Consultation with typical Spanish patients, follow ups etc. foreign surgeries have pre ops Tuesdays and ops Wednesdays.

Think about how long it takes, each disk is 1 hour plus prep etc. Elaine who picked us up says he does 3 to 4 per week. Even 4 patients with a 2,2,1,1 is 6+ operating hours assuming no problems.

If Dr Clavel is pushing them through as you say then he wouldn't have taken the time to come in and check on me on a Saturday or Sunday. Will your TBI doc do that? After all the drs I had to see here, all the complications etc there was at no time any pressure to leave, the reverse in fact.

Tim stayed in the room with me every night and they made him up abed, after 5 days in there they also fed him. At Barcelona the price is the price, you need to ask TBI what happens if you have a bleed and they have to go back in again, how much will that second op costs along with extra hospital time.

Mike was out in three days, I spent one day having 2 ops, one at 9am the other at 8 pm. 2 days in ICU then 5 days in a room. Would something like that be covered?

Just something to think about and some serious questions to ask.

Roz
07-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Hello

I am new to this forum and wanted to say congratulations and you are right about having surgery overseas and then doctors in U.S will not see you or take you for a joke. I am going through that right now with a failed ADR C5-6 Pro Disc. I cannot find any surgeon in Michigan that will revise my disc to another arthroplasty. I am auto fused in the wrong place and my disc is subsiding and is too far ventral.

Does anyone have a revision arthroplasty to another arthroplasty?

Thanks
Roz

Stonewall_Boris
07-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi,

I would suggest getting more than 2 contacts for spinal surgery. There are many threads here from those who have had the surgery and their decission making process. You will probably notice which doctors names come up predomitally.
Since you brought up the price, one decission point for me, where I went quoted a full price, if there are complications and I had to stay longer I didn't have to pay more.

TPatti
07-27-2013, 05:34 AM
Assembly line also=NO - The european doctors are implanting many more discs per week because they are not doing as many fusions.

I just had surgery with Dr. Bierstedt, $31,000 euros for surgery plus about $2,000 eros for hotel and all meals for myself and supporting partner and you still have to add airfare.

This includes 7 days of rehab after 6 day hospital stay. PT starts in hospital as well 1 day after surgery. Once you are at the Medicos facility for rehab a typical daily schedule (tweaked for each individual) would include:
(all 30 min. sessions)
- lymph node massage
- 2 massages
- PT in gym, yes you do start using weights on your upper body in a manner to start strengthening your core right away!
- OT
- visit with the nurse for check up, blood draws when needed and wound care with bandage change
- visit with doctor to monitor pain managent, monitor indicators from blood draw including checking CRP levels as possible indicators for any infection before white cell level would change

I think for the care I received here in Germany(still here until next Wed.) you would be hard pressed to find a comparable price in the US!

I wish I could bring the doctor that I meet here on a daily basis home to be my primary! I love our country, but we have a lot to learn about spinal surgery and the rehab that is needed afterward for success. Then even if we want to provide the right treatment we will have to get the insurance companies to fork over the money so patients receive the care needed.
Harrison, I know that you are still a strong supporter to stay in the US, but if you had had the surgical experience that I am taking part in right now I think your opinion could possibly change.

dhanks0001
07-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Dr Clavel did my 3 level in May for only 44000. Problem is after 9 weeks still have problem with left arm as well as pain in shoulder area. I can't lift the arm only can use hand and arm up to elbow has some strength. I've read it happens in about five % of patients. Can take as long as 1 year as nerves regenerate very slowly. Anyway not trying to be negative.95 percent chance of all going well is a great percentage. Good luck and hope all goes well for you. Dr Clavel has a great bedside manner. You will like him.

2Confused
07-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Dhanks,

It took several months for the pain in my right arm to go away. Now 7 months post op and I have no neck pain, arm pain or shoulder pain. If I overdo it, sometimes, rarely, I get a little nerve tingling, but it's nothing. Give it some time and hope it continues to improve. :)
Dr Clavel did my 3 level in May for only 44000. Problem is after 9 weeks still have problem with left arm as well as pain in shoulder area. I can't lift the arm only can use hand and arm up to elbow has some strength. I've read it happens in about five % of patients. Can take as long as 1 year as nerves regenerate very slowly. Anyway not trying to be negative.95 percent chance of all going well is a great percentage. Good luck and hope all goes well for you. Dr Clavel has a great bedside manner. You will like him.

dhanks0001
07-29-2013, 01:50 PM
My problem is no nerve activity in Deltoid , tricep and rotator cup. Bicep nerves are starting to work and a slight improvement in tricep but after 1 month therapy, still not much improvement. Do have the shoulder pain from using my shoulder instead of deltoid which won't work. I'm hoping it is all back in six months as I have been working on it every day three times a day. Glad to hear that u are running again and your shoulder pain is gone. My neck after the three level feels fine.

abe12
08-31-2013, 09:49 AM
Is it really that expensive guys?? i just had quote from medicaltourismco
for 1level M6-L ADR is 12500 Euro.. is going to Dr Clavel directly wlll be more expensive?
oh my goodness i am so limited in financial

dhanks0001
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Is it really that expensive guys?? i just had quote from medicaltourismco
for 1level M6-L ADR is 12500 Euro.. is going to Dr Clavel directly wlll be more expensive?
oh my goodness i am so limited in financial

That would be close because I paid 32500 euros for a three level with Dr Clavel. Insurance paid for one of them only. Your insurance may cover it since it is only one level!!