PDA

View Full Version : Review Question: Paying for ADR Overseas

Harrison
07-05-2013, 10:14 PM
People, how are you paying for surgery overseas these days?

- wiring partial down payments
- wiring partial+ payments
- wiring full payments

or using credit cards with similar options?

I am not liking what I am hearing about the amounts that have to be paid pre-operatively. I am not liking what I am hearing about the amounts that have to be paid for correcting post-op complications. And I am especially concerned with patients that are ignored by surgeons with complex post-op complications. Why should a patient have to spend hours -- making 20-30 calls to Dr Clavel -- to give him more money to correct his mistakes?!

Then again, I've been saying this kind of thing since 2004. And I am sorry to say, the common thread is Stenum. :puke: That's the first time I used that emoticon, and it's perfect.

From the next topic, an all-too-common complaint:

"...What isn't okay, is Post-op forum members who are not getting their questions or concerns answered by Clavel or his staff..."

mary2013
07-06-2013, 10:28 AM
I wired in full for Clavel, but that was my choice. I believe they require 65% of payment 10 days prior to surgery. I tried for credit card, but was told that they do not take credit cards except for small balances when in Barcelona.

LauraB
07-06-2013, 03:24 PM
This practice has me seriously concerned. What kind of expense is incurred on the surgeon's end prior to surgery - other than review of medical data. I can't comprehend the purpose of prepaying more than 25%. What is the payment practice for surgeon's, outside of the Stenum affiliation? I am all too familiar with this practice when dealing with Cancer patients (my brother, father, and husband- God Rest their Souls).

When we are in pain and dealing with life threatening illness, we sometimes throw caution to the wind and put our trust (and lives) in the hands of those who may not be looking out for our best interest.

TPatti
07-07-2013, 05:09 AM
wired full payement 2 weeks in advance for Dr. Bierdstedt

2Confused
07-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

We were a bit nervous about paying the 65% upfront, however, everything went smoothly. We paid the balance by credit card at the hospital. I will repeat myself and say that Hospital Quiron was excellent, very efficient, very clean and everyone was very helpful. I will mention the nursing staff again, they were amazing! The entire experience was better than expected, even the hospital food. I've seen many complaints regarding the airlines & airline foods. If you upgrade to Business Class or First Class your meal will be good, not great, but comparable to cafeteria food IMHO. Coach on international flights offer decent food, but I usually take some snacks to nibble on. The flights, well, if you have never flown more than a couple of hours you most likely will find the experience uncomfortable. I've traveled coach, business & first; honestly no matter what it is a long trip - you will be tired of sitting. Take something that will distract you, it will make your flight much easier. And if you think you cannot sleep, take a couple of Advil PM or something.... flights have a tendency to put me to sleep so thats not a problem for me. LOL
I guess, like anything, keep a positive attitude and the experience will be better...
One more thing, ask Yolanda (while still at the hospital) to provide a detailed invoice of your expenses, especially if you are going to file with your insurance provide. I found Yolanda and everyone very accommodating!

Hope this helps!

LauraB
07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
As uncomfortable as I am about wiring large amounts of money, I digress as it seems to be the manner in which business is done. As I will be having my 2 (possibly 3) level ADR with Dr. Bertognoli, in Germany - his requirement is to pay the larger of the two estimates 36,508 EUR in advance. This is done through an organization and sent to Cyprus. NORMALLY, this is a huge Red Flag, but I've read your blogs, and based upon blind faith - I will do it.

One note (and I welcome any criticism or other suggestions), it was suggested to go through Bank of America. I've noted that their exchange rate is .06 higher than XE Trade. This is a savings of $2,500 US. Anyone have any other suggestions - let me know - I need to make the most of my finances.