PDA

View Full Version : Travel

Stonewall_Boris
07-15-2013, 02:40 AM
Hi,

I had to get this out there because I heard a lot about traveling on a plane. We could not afford first class or business class. If you tell the airline that you are disabled they will attempt to accomandate you as best they can. At airports they will pick you up right off the plane and take you to your next gate. For me this was a great help. Just one thing, if you choose to do this make sure that you do use it, the person picking you up is held accountable for you. If you feel you can walk after the plane trip let the person with the wheelchair to pick you up know. (I made this mistake)

LauraB
09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Stonewall, like you, we couldn't afford the high price of business or first class, and as much as I tried to get an upgrade by looking sad and pathetic, it didn't work.

My suggestion as well for plane travel is to get a seat on the aisle and near one of the steward stations. I chose the second row from the end due to its accessibility to the bathrooms and being able to stand, move around, out of the way of others. It really helped to get mobile once in awhile - also needed to prevent thrombosis. DO NOT choose the last row because the seats do not recline.

Even if you feel that you are able to walk to and from your airline gates, DO request a wheelchair. I found that the airline personnel can whisk you through long lines and have short-cuts not accessible for walkers. Also, you do not carry your luggage or carry-ons. It was much easier to have something sit on my lap than dangle from my shoulders.
Boarding of the plane also is open first to disabled passengers. Getting on the airplane was so much easier without others pushing to get to their seats. I had assistance with my carry-ons and help all the way to my seat. Disembarking the plane - I waited until everyone was off.

Stonewall_Boris
09-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Laura,

Thanks for your tips. I think that the more suggestions we can get on flying would
make a long flight by any one just a bit more tolerable.
I know for myself it was a big concern as I couldn't walk far.
Harrison, maybe a pin on tips on travelling?

annapurna
09-29-2013, 12:59 PM
On the subject of seat selection, look through seatguru.com for a pretty clear picture of the goods and bads of the seats on the plan you'll be flying on. It doesn't help you get the seat you want but, between it and your airline's webpage, you'll have a good idea of what you'll deal with on the flights.

For many of the trips Laura and I have taken, we've gone to using all carry-ons with no checked luggage. That led to the problem Laura pointed out of the person getting surgery needing to move luggage. We got smart and packed into one carry-on sized backpack and one rolling suitcase. That left the non-patient able to move all of the luggage and the patient only responsible for themselves and a small fannypack for trip necessities.