PDA

View Full Version : Surgery scheduled Jan 21!

Masymas
01-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi All-
I am going for a C 5/6 and C 6/7 ADR with Dr Bierstedt on Jan 21st. It took a lot of organization and the help of my primary care doc to get everything together in a week but we got it done. Right now my radiculopathy and neck pain are chronic, about a 3-6, depending on my activity level. Not wanting to suffer through another acute bout (I have had 2 acute rads in the past year with pain in the 7-9 range lasting at least 6 weeks), I decided to take the plunge. Probably the hardest year and decision of my life (cancelled fusion surgery twice).
I was surprised by primary care doc's support and also by US neurosurgeon's refusal to follow up with me after I do the ADR. One flippant neuro asst told me she doubted I would get any neurosurgeon to look at my films afterwards! I see this as good to know since I almost had surgery with this dude!
A lot of angels from this site have inspired me with their stories and I am so grateful for this forum. Some of you have been incredibly generous with your PM responses and I got a phone call from a member here that saved my *** when I was capitulating to a partial solution that I dreaded going into (single level fusion for a suspected 2 level problem).
Thank you all!
PS If you are ready and have your ducks lined up, the ONZ team is really responsive.
PSS 2 level cervical will cost me about 45K for 1 week inpatient and 1 week pt, excluding travel costs.

zenmunk
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Best of luck! Had the same two cervical levels done by Bierstedt on October 30. Doing quite well. Sometimes have lingering nerve issues in arms, but most of the time nothing. Probably just healing/adjustment pains. Localized neck pain is almost non-existent. Getting my 3 month xrays in about 2 weeks, then restrictions are lifted.

First few days in hospital are painful, because of the stretching they have to do to your shoulders/traps/arms/neck in order to access those levels, but then it rapidly improves. I'm sure you'll do great! Bring a support partner if you can.

z

RichardJ
01-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi,

You will do great, I had the same exact surgery with Dr Bierstedt on Dec 12, and recovered pretty quickly. If you have any questions, please let me know! Be sure to pick up at least a few phrases of German, it will help you out a lot.

Hi All-
I am going for a C 5/6 and C 6/7 ADR with Dr Bierstedt on Jan 21st. It took a lot of organization and the help of my primary care doc to get everything together in a week but we got it done. Right now my radiculopathy and neck pain are chronic, about a 3-6, depending on my activity level. Not wanting to suffer through another acute bout (I have had 2 acute rads in the past year with pain in the 7-9 range lasting at least 6 weeks), I decided to take the plunge. Probably the hardest year and decision of my life (cancelled fusion surgery twice).
I was surprised by primary care doc's support and also by US neurosurgeon's refusal to follow up with me after I do the ADR. One flippant neuro asst told me she doubted I would get any neurosurgeon to look at my films afterwards! I see this as good to know since I almost had surgery with this dude!
A lot of angels from this site have inspired me with their stories and I am so grateful for this forum. Some of you have been incredibly generous with your PM responses and I got a phone call from a member here that saved my *** when I was capitulating to a partial solution that I dreaded going into (single level fusion for a suspected 2 level problem).
Thank you all!
PS If you are ready and have your ducks lined up, the ONZ team is really responsive.
PSS 2 level cervical will cost me about 45K for 1 week inpatient and 1 week pt, excluding travel costs.

Masymas
01-16-2014, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

Stonewall_Boris
01-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Masymas,

Best wishes and a speedy recovery. As I asked dogpilot, did you get the "tips" doc from Ken?
Also, which hospital are you going to?