PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

LBK
02-13-2014, 03:20 PM
We are leaving for Germany for surgery with Dr. Bierstedt shortly!:) I was wondering what kind of travel insurance anyone has used. The travel agency that we are going thru recommend TRAVELEX but in TRAVELEX's exclusions it says if you are going out of country for a medical issue i.e. surgery etc. they would not cover you. Just curious what you all did. Also is it worth the extra $ for a 1st class seat coming home? We are borrowing the $ for surgery and in someways it seems like I could handle some discomfort..Hey, been fighting pain for years now!!:/ I am having a 1 level fusion with Dr. Bierstedt. Also curious aprox. cost of travel insurance and if it covers the possibility of needing to change date to come home, etc. I have United Health Care but don't think it will cover anything out of the country. I do plan on trying to get some reimbursement when I get home. Think I'll have any luck?!

ian
02-13-2014, 06:00 PM
My econo fare was $1,100. Business class was $8,000. First class was $12,000. I chose econo. I'll live with whatever discomfort I experience on the way home rather than drop that much money for a plane ticket. That's just ridiculous for first class!

For a trip like this I doubt travel insurance is worth it. We're going to be in the same location for most of the time and not wandering around. I can make changes to my return flight if needed without having to incur any big fees. But then, it's only around $250 for the insurance, so that's not much too spend for a little peace of mind.

Good luck! I'll be there on the 25th!

We are leaving for Germany for surgery with Dr. Bierstedt shortly!:) I was wondering what kind of travel insurance anyone has used. The travel agency that we are going thru recommend TRAVELEX but in TRAVELEX's exclusions it says if you are going out of country for a medical issue i.e. surgery etc. they would not cover you. Just curious what you all did. Also is it worth the extra $ for a 1st class seat coming home? We are borrowing the $ for surgery and in someways it seems like I could handle some discomfort..Hey, been fighting pain for years now!!:/ I am having a 1 level fusion with Dr. Bierstedt. Also curious aprox. cost of travel insurance and if it covers the possibility of needing to change date to come home, etc. I have United Health Care but don't think it will cover anything out of the country. I do plan on trying to get some reimbursement when I get home. Think I'll have any luck?!

Stonewall_Boris
02-13-2014, 07:37 PM
I opted for the insurance. It was about 250 as Ian stated. We went economy. I could handle just about anything for the continental flights but I insisted on Lufthansa for the trips over the Atlantic and was not disappointed.