PDA

View Full Version : Kombucha, anyone?

Kelly4ADR
07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm thinking about brewing my own kombucha. Anyone have experience with this?

Harrison
07-24-2014, 08:51 PM
Kelly,

I love the stuff, but have never tried making it. And I am too cheap to buy it. Why is it so expensive?! Pls make some and I'll pay you by the gallon! ;)

Kelly4ADR
07-24-2014, 10:15 PM
It is expensive, but making it is so easy I've heard, and super cheap. My friend gave me a SCOBY to start a batch, I think I'll get it going tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

The hardest part for me is getting over the SCOBY, (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast), it's a gross looking thing, it's bacteria after all. But I guess Ill give it a try, as long as it doesn't grow legs and walk across my kitchen counter. Eeeeeeeeeeew. .:Dead:

annapurna
07-25-2014, 10:50 AM
We've been making it for a couple of years now. You have to watch out for letting mold come in and a couple of times we've let it go so long that it was very vinegary but it's generally worked for us. We've typically used a mint/raspberry tea from Starwood but we've tried other teas as well with good success.

Kelly4ADR
07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
That's good to know! I heard if you leave it too long it will become vinegary. I've also read about flavoring with a second fermentation, sounds fun to experiment with :beer:

colorado babe
08-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I have tried Kambucha many times but have always suffered from canker sores all in my mouth, The same for my husband but not our daughter. I wonder why this happens?