PDA

View Full Version : L4 L5 S1 w/ Dr Clavel

Ace78
05-28-2015, 02:24 PM
I received my quote from Barcelona and I am ready to schedule surgery. The exchange rate looks favorable and I think this summer is going to be a good time for it. I am going to try to lose weight before I go. My doctor here in the states (DR Zigler) thinks I should lose 20 or 30 pounds before surgery. I am wondering if other people have heard that from their surgeons? Does being overweight make recovery a lot more difficult?

Thanks,

Ace
37 years old male three level DDD.

Cheryl0331
05-28-2015, 03:11 PM
It's less stress on your body if your at an optimal weight; having said that, it's also less tissue to dissect. Also, less weight on the implants; help them do their job. It will be good for your other joint as well. But you know this. ;)
Yes the exchange rate has held very well for a while. what did Dr. Clavel say about your weight?

drewrad
05-28-2015, 03:53 PM
What was the quote?

JeffR
05-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Agree with the above, less weight means less fatty tissue to cut through and less scar tissue in the end. It will also be easier on your joints and will improve your health overall so win-win. ;)

jss
05-29-2015, 08:12 AM
I have heard one orthopedic spine surgeon and one vascular surgeon go on about how much easier it is to operate on a "thin" person than on someone that's overweight. The first stating how much faster and less frustrating thin patients are, the second stating that it is a "real treat" to get to operate on a thin patient.