PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Clavel's assessment

Maczoid
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Dr Clavel has reviewed my files and information and comments below:

“3 level lumbar disc degeneration.

The nerve compression is predominant at L4-L5 and some also at L5-S1.

Due to the degree of facet degeneration at these levels, I would perform a 2 level fusion which can be done from the front (ALIF) and a 1 level artificial disc replacement at L3-L4.”

Interestingly, no surgeon here in Canada that I've seen to date has mentioned the worn out Facet joints. This in itself makes contacting him worthwhile. I have skype consult scheduled for Oct 23, 2015 with Clavel.

I am also obtaining a consult with Dr. Zeegers as another option and full medical opinion.

Any comments from senior members appreciated. :jacks:

Maczoid

drewrad
10-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Dr Clavel is highly ethical IMO. I used him over 15 months ago to great outcome.

I highly recommend him.

Romakis
10-26-2015, 01:39 PM
Dr. Clavel pays very close attention to the facet joints, he reviewed them very carefully in my case as well. I would trust him.

Maczoid
11-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I have to say that everyone that recommends Clavel is right on!
Dr Clavel answered all of my 26 questions giving me a lot of satisfaction. He explained the entire procedure and the risks which are minimal.
His plan is to use the Adrius cage to fuse L5-S1 & L4 adding the M6L at L3 to protect the rest of the spine from further deterioration.

He explained the bone plate at L5-S1 was not in good enough shape for the M6L and the facets at the L5 S1 & L4 levels are worn out which would cause problems for M6 L implants and the increased motion they provide.

I am very satisfied with the Dr. Clavel's plan. I just need to have my consult with Dr. Zeegers and receive his "perfect diagnosis. " then make a decision on which surgeon.

Thx for all those that posted.

Maczoid :beer::kiss:

drewrad
11-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Call me if you want to discuss. Curious about the cage used for fusion by Clavel's recommendation.

Cheryl0331
11-16-2015, 10:14 PM
H was the only one that even looked at my facets joints as a consideration. If he tells you good to go; you're good to go! ;)

Maczoid
11-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Drewrad,

The Arcadius XL fusion cage you asked about is in the link below. Clavel stated this is the cage he would use.

Maczoid

http://www.bbraun.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/cw-bbraun-en-gb/hs.xsl/products.html?prid=PRID00007366

drewrad
11-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks. Hmmmm.

Yeah, he used a Medtronic Sovereign spacer with a separate titanium & plate fixation with me.

Wonder why the switch???

Maczoid
11-23-2015, 09:35 AM
drewrad,

When did you have your surgery withe Medtronic device?

Maczoid

drewrad
11-24-2015, 03:23 PM
I was July 9th 2014. I just wonder why he switched from Medtronic to Aesculap. Is it a better deal economically? A better device? Or a combination of the two?

Ask Dr. Clavel.

The reason is that there are numerous studies that insist that what I got which was a cage secured by a titanium plate and screws gives a much more solid lockup than screws going straight through the cage due to not as much bone solidifying within the cage.

I have links to the studies if you want them.

Maczoid
11-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Drewrad,

Yes please post this research links I want read through to learn more about these cages.

Maczoid

srajan0929
01-20-2016, 05:31 AM
just curious, did you end up choosing dr. clavel?

Maczoid
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
I am still seeking as much information as I can to make the most informed decision I can make.

I will say that Dr Clavel is still in the top 2 of my choices of Surgeon to date.

And I have paid for 6 other assessments so far. I am waiting on two more then I will make my final decision.

M:shedance:

FutureRobot
01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Did you ever get an opinion from Zeegers? He also pays great attention to facets. You are doing a great job of getting as many opinions as possible.

Maczoid
02-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Hi yes I am working with Dr. Zeegers also. I have a skype call with him Wednesday this week and hopefully he wil get his report for me done this week.
Terrible guy for administration. I have had to be on top of him all the way along.
Dr. Zeegers must be a very busy guy!:beer: