PDA

View Full Version : List of Who has been denied ADR

LBP
01-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I would like to start a list of people who still have been denied ADR surgery by their insurance company.

What city do you reside, how many levels do you need, and who is your insurance company that denied you. Please specify if you are a workers compensation case because that is a whole different animal.

I am curious to know how many people with single levels still aren't being approved or are they only ones with trouble the ones with multiple levels?????

Anyone interested in posting your information?

Maybe it would be good to also include those that have paid out of pocket to go to Germany because they were denied by their insurance company.
re: lawsuit...highly unlikely in light of another thread discussing ERISA. Still good info to list what companies are not paying up!

LBP
01-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I'll start,

Need 2 levels, L4/5 and L5/S1. In 2005, was turned down by Pacificare/UHC PPO for 2 level Charite. Insurance was employer provided insurance from when I used to work in San Diego, CA. Later also denied for a combination Charite at L4/5/fusion L5/S1, same insurance via fed and state extended COBRA while living in Milwaukee, WI. Fusion was tentatively approved but not the Charite portion. Currently reside in Milwaukee, WI. Exhausted all appeals, including appeals with CA Dept of Ins.

chasswen
01-29-2007, 01:27 PM
me me me i was denied a single level adr charite blue crap.
chuck

JFerg
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Put me down........denied 3X's United Health Care - 2 levels.
I support your right to petition. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Terry
01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Blue Cross Michigan denied 2 level Charite discs done by a surgeon approved and on Harrison's list of Charite surgeons. I went to Germany and paid out-of-pocket for 4 level ADR.

I sued the homeowner's insurance and Blue Cross maintained a lien against the suit. In order to get rid of the lien I had to waive the right to appeal. Nifty.

Terry Newton

Brad
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Denied by Cigna PPO in California. went to Germany, now pain free and happy.
I hope the insurance geek that denied my coverage has a bad back......let him suffer.

Brad

Nairek
01-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Denied by Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield for a 1 level Charite ADR at L5-S1. Currently on my 2nd level appeal & keeping all fingers, toes, & eyelashes crossed that I will get the denial overturned! http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Texas-T
01-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I was denied a single level L5/S1 Charite from United Health Care.

I was later approved by Aetna when I switched insurance companies.

Kim
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Denied by Great West Healthcare for a 2 level lumbar ADR L5/S1 L4/L5

Abbe
02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I have been denied by Blue Cross Blue Shield of California. I am about to start the appeals process and am waiting to get a copy of Dr. Lytton William's letter so that we can be in sync. I did find that Prodisc has a place on their website for others in the appeals process and an 866-223-0508. There are Patient appeal letters and surgeon resources. Not sure if this will help my case or not but I am open to suggestions.

chasswen
02-17-2007, 08:40 AM
So LBP
have we found a lawyer yet For the class action law suit?
i think it's time to teach those idiots a lesson.
no?
chuck

davidj8121
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Chuck,

You know I'm in. Denied by Highmark Blue Cross/Shield for single level Charite/Prodisc.
Went to TBI for surgery on 2/8/07. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Still in the appeals process but I do not expect anything.

If you don't mind Chuck I will make an inquiry with my attorney this week. Have some other business to discuss and he may have some good info for me. He works for a pretty big law firm. I will be glad to pass the info on to you.

Dave

chasswen
02-17-2007, 10:09 AM
david
that sounds like a plan.
it surely would not hurt to try to find someone.
and if i cant slam them in the lower back with a 2 by 4 then we must become there worst nightmare.
chuck

chasswen
02-17-2007, 10:15 AM
if insurance company must pay for gov employees if fda approved what gives them the right to change for the private insured i want to see them tell a fed judge that the fda branch of gov is useless.
chuck
p/s its a double standard that must go if its not fda approved then they say no it's not approved.
and if its fda approved and they dont want to pay it becomes experimental. GRRRRR

Kim_Dean\'sWife
02-20-2007, 04:24 AM
HEALTHNET may soon pay for Prodisc adr! We were denied by HealthNet today for my husband's two level ADR; however, when HealthNet contacted Dr. Yue's office to inform them of the denial, HealthNet said that they are considering changing their position on covering these procedures, and said to tell us to appeal! Dr. Yue's office has never been told anything like that from any other insurance company! I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything else.
-Kim

nice
10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Where are you on your list I want to join!!

LBP
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
posting on this thread with relevant info makes a list

LBP
10-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LBP:
I would like to start a list of people who still have been denied ADR surgery by their insurance company.

What city do you reside, how many levels do you need, and who is your insurance company that denied you. Please specify if you are a workers compensation case because that is a whole different animal.

I am curious to know how many people with single levels still aren't being approved or are they only ones with trouble the ones with multiple levels?????

Anyone interested in posting your information?

Maybe it would be good to also include those that have paid out of pocket to go to Germany because they were denied by their insurance company.

Ray R
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Denied by BCBS of Alabama. Went to Germany paid out of pocket for 3-level cervical. Still appealing. Sign me up for the lawsuit.Not workers comp.

nice
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I have been denied by
Health Link and Mercy Medical Group.
I have only one disc L4 L5.
It is not workmans comp.

Liz
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
3 appeals denied by United Healthcare last year and initially this year for 2-level Prodisc not b/c multilevel but b/c UHC claims experimental/unproven treatment for DDD. I paid out of pocket with Dr. Delamarter; UHC denied coverage on the date of my surgery. B/c self-funded plan through my employer I was not able to appeal to the CA Insurance Commission or the CA Dept. of Managed Healthcare. I am still in appeals process for reimbursement but do not expect that will happen. Not workers' comp.

CindyLou
10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm in Minneapolis, with HealthPartners, self-funded plan thru spouse's employer. Denied 3 appeals for 3 level lumbar ADR. Paid out of pocket to go to Germany for Dr. B. Not worker's comp.

FUZZDOG
10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
I am in Illinois.
cigna ppo is my primary carrier.
2 appeals denied.
bc/bs il is secondary carrier.
2 appeals denied.
ADR Charite device at l3-l4, "hybrid" application combined with 2 level fusion below at l4-l5-S1.

Was denied as considered experimental technology. Also because it is outside the FDA approval criteria as being used at l3.
FDA approval for charite is for single level from l4 to s1 and thus my surgery did not meet specifics.
I am not a work comp case.
4 level fusion still pending approval they are also fighting on that one!

ck

chasswen
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
denied and used all appeals with blue crap of penna.
IBX blue crap. Self paid to go have dr. b preform a single level at l5-l6.
after returning home submitted again to blue crap as out of network and was told i was to receive payment then they turned around again and denied the entire thing.
so i have given up as far as suing them as you cant get any thing back accept the cost of the surgery. no lawyer fees no travel fee etc... GRRRR
ok enough of that now just writing about it again has in raged me once again.
chuck

steve h
11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
i am a 43 yr old male. denied L5/S1 disc replacement by unicare insurance. no worker's comp -- only personal health ins policy. i am optimistic to be chosen for active-l disc study beginning in dec.

11-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Denied, Denied, Denied...UHC, PPO two level L4-S1 ADR and/or hybrid. Final decision came from the company's Director of Human Resource. Not a WC.

I agree with Chasswen, just typing this puts me in a BAD MOOD.

KL Aguilar
11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I live in Southern California. I was first injured in a student fight, at the high school where I was a teacher. I suffered a second injury lifting a heavy box over another one, also at work. No surgeon on the list Workers' Comp gave me does cervical ADR, so in effect, I have been denied. Dr. Regan (not on my list, I paid to see him and another surgeon out of pocket) recommended a two-level ADR.

sessler
11-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

Been denied,denied, denied by Blue Crap of Nebraska for a single level Charite.

Had to go fusion route on L4-L5. I am just about three weeks out and I remember that I felt better when I had ADR surgery.

Sue S

LBP
11-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Sue,

I find your post a little alarming. Hope you can expand on your "signature" a bit.

What jumps out at me is that you're having a fusion at an adjacent disc level just 2 YEARS post ADR????

Since you had Kineflex..I am thinking it's likely you were a participant in a Kineflex ADR clinical trial.

Did you specifically and medically determine that your L4/5 was healthy before entering the clincal trial on your L5/S1 or did they think your L5/S1 was worse and somehow you still got into the trial when you where really a 2 level candidate before your ADR trial.

Do you understand what I'm getting at? Because the point of ADR is to preserve motion so you don't need another surgery at an adjacent level, especially so soon.

Just raises a red flag! Hope you can shed some light onto your specific circumstances.

sessler
11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
LBP,
I am on the Keniflex/Charite study. At the time I really did need a two level. My surgeon and did speak about this and the study was for only one. He put himself out on limb and decieded to replace the worset disc which was L5-S1. The disc was totally discenagraded. We were hoping that L4-L5 would be ok.
About six months after the ADR, L4-L5 started acting up. I have not had any problems with the Keniflex disc. My opinion that this ADR is fantastic and if I could I would love to have another one.

Does this answer your question LBP. I will change my signture.

Sue S

LBP
11-20-2007, 12:20 AM
thanks for the clarification because otherwise it seems like a very accelarated wear and tear of an otherwise healthy adjacent level disc...which would be scarey info!

It will be interesting to watch your recovery over time since you have the fusion at 4/5 with ADR at l5/S1. Normally in a "hybrid" situation,it seems preferrable to put the adr at l4/5 and fusion at the less mobile level of L5/S1. Because of your circumstances with the trial restrictions....yours seems to be a little abnormal or at least the opposite of what others have done before when having one hybrid surgery.

would like to hear about your fusion experiences at l4/5.

phylly
12-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Hello LBP,
I am new and I am chiming in. I was denied for a two level prodisc L4-S1 by two separate policies, Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I appealed for an IMR and was denied again. I won't give up yet. I paid cash for my surgery. My goal is get so much better that I can prove my surgery was valid. How is your research going?
Phylly

Lisibug
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I had Blue Shield HMO insurance and was denied any ADR surgery, but I was indicated for 3 levels. I also asked about seeing Rick Delamarter in Santa Monica, CA, who is only 45 minutes from me, because he is an excellent surgeon performing ADR surgeries and clinical trials, but they would not cover me seeing him, either. My NS (the only one in my area) does not perform ADR surgery. In 3/07 I went to Dr. Bertagnoli and am much better as a result.

riley222
01-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I was denied coverage by United Healthcare even after 4 appeals and ultimately payed all expenses out of pocket for a single level ADR in Feb 2006. UHC stated that there is not enough long term research results so they deem it as still an investigational stage device. I reside in Durham, North Carolina. My doctor submitted an official complaint to the North Carolina Insurance commissioner and included all his patients who were denied and their respective insurance companies justifications at that time but with no luck.
Good luck with the list! I was looking for something like this before my surgery.
Take care,
Riley

Slackwater
02-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by LBP:
CIGNA denied 2-level ADR Request Sept 2007
CIGNA denied 2-level ADR 1st Appeal Nov 2007 (? look-up item on the appeal date ?)

Cigna wrote I have one (1) appeal left. I hesitate to believe what Cigna wrote without reading the insurance policy. Cigna saw there was an auto-accident & lawsuit. Surgeons may think symptoms are exaggerated, see "Validity of Self-Reported History in Patients with Back and Neck Pain after Motor-Vehicle Accidents (MVA) (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7P-4PSBWH8-4Y&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F2007&_alid=693586374&_rdoc=8&_fmt=summary&_orig=search&_cdi=6632&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=37&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e63fcf031a49997486ff39e77b5a9749), NASS 2007 Annual Mtg. CIGNA's "ADR / TDR Coverage Position" is single-level only. Cigna will not pay for a hybrid surgery, ie.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>ADR L4/5
Fusion L5/S1[/list]
CIGNA will pay for a two-level fusion.

Litigation is a conta-indication for Fusion or ADR, I suggest. My litigation is over. Symptoms are still here. Somehow I thought I must be fabricating pain?? What was I thinking? Oh, right, no fusion because of "long-term outcomes", re-operation rates and adverse events. Is there an alternative, uhh, what's ADR/TDR?

P.S. UCSF, a trial site for Prodisc, was my last surgical evaluation of 4 surgeons. UCSF helped with the request / appeal. UCSF may possibly track the number of ADR denials as an adjunct to the FDA trial, just an impression, no hard data.

Liz
02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Slackwater:
CIGNA denied 2-level ADR Request Sept 2007
CIGNA denied 2-level ADR 1st Appeal Nov 2007 (? look-up item on the appeal date ?)

Cigna wrote I have one (1) appeal left. I hesitate to believe what Cigna wrote without reading the insurance policy. Cigna saw there was an auto-accident & lawsuit. Surgeons may think symptoms are exaggerated, see "Validity of Self-Reported History in Patients with Back and Neck Pain after Motor-Vehicle Accidents (MVA) (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7P-4PSBWH8-4Y&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F2007&_alid=693586374&_rdoc=8&_fmt=summary&_orig=search&_cdi=6632&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=37&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e63fcf031a49997486ff39e77b5a9749), NASS 2007 Annual Mtg. CIGNA's "ADR / TDR Coverage Position" is single-level only. Cigna will not pay for a hybrid surgery, ie.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>ADR L4/5
Fusion L5/S1[/list]
CIGNA will pay for a two-level fusion.

P.S. UCSF, a trial site for Prodisc, was my last surgical evaluation of 4 surgeons. UCSF helped with the request / appeal. UCSF may possibly track the number of ADR denials as an adjunct to the FDA trial, just an impression, no hard data.

Slackwater -- if Cigna's policy covers one level ADR why won't they cover a hybrid?? If you haven't already, you should request all of Cigna's documents, internal rules, guidelines, etc relevant to your appeal for benefits coverage for ADR. you are entitled these documents and there should be language to this effect in your denial letter. however, you need to request them NOW before your appeal window closes. although i was unsuccessful in obtaining coverage, i found these documents very helpful for my final appeal... my carrier had copies of many of the ProDisc studies which compare favorably to fusion so I cited data in the documents United Healthcare was using to deny coverage back at them, stating I believed they had misapplied Plan provisions b/c of such and such data in their documents, FDA approval, nothing in my policy through my employer specifically excluding ADR, etc. Anyway, I hope you have better luck w/your final appeal, esp since they'll allow a single level. i know the process is infuriating to say the least. United would not even approve a single level, but I kept appealing b/c they never denied my claim because I needed 2 levels, they just denied b/c experimental/unproven.
best of luck,
liz

LBP
02-25-2008, 05:50 PM
just to clarify.

I am not actively working on some big lawsuit ...researching law firms etc because a long time ago, someone posted research about fed laws precluding bad faith type lawsuits.

I still think it's important to share stories and keep an active list going. In some situations someone might be able to help an individual case and worst case...at least you know you're not alone in getting denails when you wonder how the list of those post ADR surgery continues to grow!

Slackwater
02-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Liz:

Slackwater -- if Cigna's policy covers one level ADR why won't they cover a hybrid?? If you haven't already, you should request all of Cigna's documents,
liz
First, thank you for thinking of me. It's appreciated. Good question on "<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Hybrid</span>".

You wrote Hybrid and I suggest(?) you are on the right track and synchronized wth the surgeons posting results of "Hybrid" surgeries. In parallel there are papers published debating which lumbar level should be fused v. ADR.

You mentioned <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">CIGNA's ADR policy</span>, ... paperwork items. Cigna's coverapge position was in my briefcase when I went to see the Orthopaedic surgeon at UCSF last year. The Cigna coverage postion is found here, HERE (http://www.cigna.com/customer_care/healthcare_professional/coverage_positions/medical/mm_0104_coveragepositioncriteria_intervebral_disc_ prosthesis.pdf). No big need to read unless you have Cigna. I see the coverage position is updated since I last read it, but the net results is the same. I will try cut-and-paste below so people stay in no-surprise mode.

===============================================
Coverage Position
Revision Date 12/15/2007

CIGNA HealthCare covers the surgical implantation of a Charité® or ProDisc®-L lumbar
intervertebral disc (IVD) prosthesis for chronic, unremitting, discogenic low back pain and
disability secondary to single-level degenerative disc disease (DDD) as medically necessary in a
skeletally mature patient when ALL of the following criteria are met:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> The unremitting low back pain and disability described has been refractory to at least six consecutive months of standard medical and surgical management (e.g., exercise, analgesics, physical therapy, spinal education).
<LI> Single-level disc degeneration has been confirmed on complex imaging studies (i.e.,
computerized tomography [CT] scan, magnetic resonance imaging [MRI]).
<LI> The planned implant will be used in the L4-S1 region if Charité or the L3-S1 region if ProDisc®-L.[/list]
CIGNA HealthCare does not cover the surgical implantation of any of the following because they are considered experimental, investigational or unproven:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> A Charité or ProDisc®-L lumbar intervertebral disc prosthesis when any of the following apply:
<LI>> The planned procedure includes the combined use of a prosthesis and spinal fusion.
<LI>> Simultaneous multilevel implantation is planned.
<LI>> The implant will be inserted outside of the L4-S1 region (Charité) or outside of the L3-S1
region (ProDisc®-L).
<LI>> The patient has osteopenia or osteoporosis (T-score < -1.0).
<LI>> The patient has a history of prior lumbar fusion.
<LI>> There is evidence on imaging studies of ANY of the following:
<LI>•• degenerative spondylolisthesis of Grade 2 or greater
<LI>•• infection
<LI>•• multilevel degenerative disc disease
<LI>•• nerve root compression or spinal stenosis
<LI>•• pars interarticularis defect with either spondylolysis or isthmic spondylolisthesis
<LI>•• scoliosis
<LI>•• severe facet joint arthrosis
<LI>•• spinal fracture
<LI>•• tumor
<LI> A lumbar disc prosthesis other than Charité or ProDisc®-L[/list]
CIGNA HealthCare does not cover the implantation of cervical intervertebral disc prosthesis (e.g., PRESTIGE™ ST) for any indication because it is considered experimental, investigational or unproven.
======================================

Agree with you, I should get on with the next, Last(?) appeal, just to go through the process again. Delightful. Thank you for reminding me (kicking my rear) on this item.

Net result is I will have pay cash for a 2-level ADR, or hybrid ADR-Fusion. Loss of Reflex, Drug Use Increase, No Exercise Capacity, ... and more loss of physical capability and will lead to other complications / restrictions and will push me into surgery. Waiting too long may force one (me) into fusion because the facets will be further damaged beyond normal aging due to loss in disc height, ... trade-offs.

Slackwater

Slackwater
02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Slackwater:
Cigna saw there was an auto-accident & lawsuit. Surgeons may think symptoms are exaggerated, see "Validity of Self-Reported History in Patients with Back and Neck Pain after Motor-Vehicle Accidents (MVA) (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7P-4PSBWH8-4Y&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F2007&_alid=693586374&_rdoc=8&_fmt=summary&_orig=search&_cdi=6632&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_ct=37&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e63fcf031a49997486ff39e77b5a9749), NASS 2007 Annual Mtg.
Above web link led to a blank page where text was deleted. The abstract, not the full article, of Dr. Carragee's article in <span class="ev_code_PURPLE">The Spine Journal, Volume 8, Issue 2, March-April 2008, Pages 311-319</span> is below, <UL TYPE=SQUARE>Validity of self-reported history in patients with acute back or neck pain after motor vehicle accidents (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W7P-4NSWTRY-2&_user=10&_coverDate=04%2F30%2F2008&_rdoc=11&_fmt=summary&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%236632%232008%23999919997%23681121%23F LA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=6632&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=34&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=187e29febbda069aed6864f126028699)[/list]
===================================

Well, ..., I know my body ages. Aging means my discs are expected to degenerate (dehydrate) like anyone else's discs and yes I probably had some level of osteophyte growth. However, my foot was not tingling & my legs were not twitching with spasms requiring muscle relaxants and vicodin before the SUV rear-ended me. I may not like to read what all the surgeons have to write, but I want to read it anyway.

kimmers
02-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Add me on to the list of those denied ADR.
Blue Cross of Ca denied once and then appealed. Yesterday, got notice they upheld the denial, reason, "investigational".
Have qualified for IMR with Dept of Managed Health Care. Who said, "I have not yet begun to fight"?
I will get this surgery at L4/5 paid for.

Kimmers

Cathyjp
03-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi,
New to site and my husband was also denied a 2 level adr by Fiser V health.

Just learned that our insurance will be switching to UHC and was wondering if anyone had any new information on this insurance?

sahuaro
03-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Sadly, I have to add myself to this list. Denied for one-level Prestige ST by HealthNet of Arizona. Appeal went all the way through the Department of Insurance. The reviewer stated that the Prestige is "one of several artificial disks not proved effective." Meanwhile, HealthNet in California has been approving the Prestige ST.

snapoutofit
03-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Yep, add me too. I was denied by United Health Care. We are still appealing but really just doing it to go through the motions - not expecting anything. I live in Charlotte, NC and paid out of pocket (46K) not including air,hotel etc. for a 2 level l4-s1 with Dr. B.

Cheryl

Terry
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
The Prestige is being labeled by the insurance company as not being effective.

Oh my God. I have two in my neck that are doing great. I better rip them out before they become ineffective. http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I am sorry. http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Terry Newton

mmarsh
03-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I've been denied a one level ProDisc-C by Blue Shield of CA. Am in the first appeal. Looking for people who have been approved to add to my appeal "precedent". Anybody out there who got approved?

Missy

ChainedJane
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
CIGNA denied my single level Presige ADR and I have no other spine health issue besides the one herniated c/6-c/7 disc. I live in Kansas City, MO and have CIGNA group health through hubbies work. The denial came literally as I was going into the operating room. Family had flown in and so fourth =(.My doc is awesome and sent in the appeal the very next day, I reported CIGNA to the insurance commision and also am consulting a lawyer. We are going to fight them till the end!

Does anyone here know where I can find out if Cigna has covered any aype of ADR? I have looked forever!

Thanks for any info!
Janey

LBP
04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Janey,

Have you done an "advanced search" of all forums using both "Cigna approved" ?

There was some older discussion by Bmills that she knew of 1 or 2 poeple that had Cigna Open Access in Colorado that were covered for ADR and I believe there was a post by Harrison that on the Depuy Charite website, it was announced that Cigna would cover ADR? Maybe they once did and now retracted? worth looking at Charite's website on the ins reimbursement info to see what companies they listed as covery adr.

good luck

mmarsh
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Janey

I checked my notes and Cigna is authorizing Prodisc. Look at the Synthes web site and you will find a number for patient support. Call them and get info regarding Cigna's authorization. Has the Prestige been okayed by the FDA yet? Good luck (again).

Missy

Terry
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Prestige has been approved for one level cervical by the FDA at this point. There have been some surgeries take place in the US so far.

Terry Newton

ChainedJane
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the info I will dig into all the suggestions!!

Terry
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan payed for my four-level ADR surgery that I had done in Germany in November 2006. They payed for it in January 2007 less than 2 months after the surgery.

Good-Luck to you in your fight. I have no regrets in getting the surgery done.

Terry Newton

GaryC
11-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I have been denied by TRICARE - not an insurance company, but a branch of the Federal Government. That's the same Federal Government that the FDA belongs to - the FDA that approved ADR for single level.

I was originally denied in April 2008, appealed, denial upheld in June 2008, appealed again, policy review concluded in November 2008 that ADR is "unproven technology."

kimmers
11-11-2008, 06:00 AM
I am sorry, Gary.
I know how frustrating it is when the insurance company/gov't agency denies you. You tell them this procedure is FDA-approved, it has gone through testing, it is not experimental and it is better for you according to your doctor.

You want to shout from the roof tops and it is such an unbelievable feeling that something like this can happen.
I don't know what to tell you. I have had a very long protracted insurance fight against Blue Cross of California and I don't consider my fight over because there are so many people who can benefit from ADR, who are candidates.

In my case, I just could not stomach having a procedure that my doctor did not recommend highly and that most likely would lead to adjacent disc disease.

Kimmers

ERvet
11-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Yep, count me in as one of the Anthem/Blue Cross denieds. Single level, Prodisc, L5-S1, deemed "experimental" yada yada yada. I've postponed the fight for now, looking into non-surgical options. My doc said things may be starting to ease up in TX and CA with regard to Blue Cross, but I live in CO. Though the company is Anthem Blue Cross of CA. :cool:

Susan/ER Vet

kimmers
11-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Susan,

You were unlucky to have the wrong insurance company. Sorry. See Insurance Hell. Tomorrow I get to be interviewed briefly for a public radio program in San Francisco. It is taped and I will give them a mouthful for our great insurance company, but probably will not be allowed to say their name. But, boy would I like to.

Kimmers

Sandra L
11-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Add me to list although not exactly denied. Not Workers Comp, just old age and prior accidents. Paid out of pocket to go to Germany. We called Anthem BCBS after my surgery was completed, didn't get a pre-approval. They said they would cover it, just send invoices. ADR, four cervical levels, ProDisc.

Received a check for $98 towards my ADR within 45 days. Along with the check was another letter saying they needed a breakdown on costs by day and $ amount before they could pay more. Pro-Spine broke down my treatment each day, but didn't place individual amounts for each item. Before I received this information, I got another letter from BCBS that the previous payment from them was an error. Needed to submit bills to Medicare first. Once I get the denial from Medicare I am to resubmit all bills to Anthem BCBS. I'm not going to hold my breath. Wonder if I have to pay back the $98 they sent?? LOL

Sorry for being redundant, added same info to another thread. I get confused too may threads along with senior moments. Sandy

rhatzy
11-16-2008, 11:55 PM
united health care administers the health insurance for American Airlines. They are self insured and I am a pilot for them. A major cause of sick leave by pilots is back problems and they have a lot of them that have been out for a while and paying them disibility and benefits. Also they are now paying someone else to do their job. So, when they heard about me, they became very intrigued with this procedure because I have two levels done and am back at work. I am the only pilot at American with these discs.

The medical department at AA is very interested in my successful outcome and has been talking with the company about this "new procedure" and may just reimburse me. First they wanted me to appeal the first denial just to have the paperwork and I have done that. Just did that last week and maybe, just maybe, I will get reimbursed. So, there is hope out there.

Mark

KBear
11-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I have had a very long protracted insurance fight against Blue Cross of California and I don't consider my fight over because there are so many people who can benefit from ADR, who are candidates. Kimmers

Kimmers,
Did you get it paid for?

KBear
11-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I have also been denied by Unicare (Texas). It is a self employed policy, that sucks, even though we pay a fortune for it $750 a month for a family of four. Since we are self employed, it is either pay it or go without; all the self employed policies suck. Some of them are doing away with deductibles less than $2500 per person; which is nuts. Guess I am stuck with mine forever, seeing as no other company will accept me without a pre-existing cause excluding my back.

kimmers
11-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Good News KBear, at least I think it is.

I found out in my battle with BC that lawyers will take contingency cases against Ins companies for bad faith if you have individual policies, that are not part of an employee group policy.
Appeal and see how you do. Write down every conversation you have with ins company and the date and time and who you spoke to.
Laurie--the insurance warrior--gave me a few tips and I think they are listed on this board if you go to her threads.
My last appeal was about 200 pages. I think i included three instances where BC paid for the exact same surgery for other people.

Send everything registered mail. Found cheaper at post office than a post place.

Kimmers

builder5840
12-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Denied two level through Kaiser of California, They state that they will do a single level but only if you meet the exact criteria that was used during the FDA study for the disc used. Unfortunatly I need two levels and they would not even fuse one level and ADR the second becuase the FDA study did not include installing an ADR next to a fused level. It stinks when you pay over 12K a year for insurance and then have to go overseas to have the best procedure done. and My insurance won't pay for anything that they don't do in house unless they refer you out which they never do.

Fall from ladder 05 lots of pain, lots of test
DDD C5,6,7 opted for ADR in Malaysia
scheduled surgery 03/09 using Discover disc