PDA

View Full Version : Managing with small children after ADR

Alastair
06-26-2005, 05:28 PM
My Thanks to Dr Clare Harris for this one

1) Get a cot with a drop side that drops completely to the floor
2)Use a high chair with a foot rest so the child can climb into it themseleves when big enough
3)Encourage the child to climb, then they can climb onto your lap for cuddle when needed.
4)Do lots of games at table hight eg gluing, drawing, letters, snap cards, cooking.
5) Explain to the child ie 'mummy can't pick that up at the moment because her back is sore'
6) Spend time doing the things you can do ie talking, reading books together, we make up lots of stories together.
7) Make life as fun with the child as you can. My 'helping hand' is a great for tickling with and even the dolls in the dolls house have one!
8) If you can, get a car that is a good height for putting children in and out of their car seats. I recommend the renaut scenic.
9)encourage the child to be independant as much as possible. As well as making life easier this can only be a good thing for their future development.
10) If other people offer to take them to do things you can't ie to the park, pushing them on bikes/trikes, daysout, try not to feel envious and be glad the child has the opportunity to do it. Become involved by asking them to tell you all about it when they get home.
11) Keep telling them you love them, that has to be the most important thing for a child
12) Remember you are their parent, no one can replace you.