PDA

View Full Version : Update on CPT Codes

Harrison
12-01-2008, 11:46 AM
This is from Kim O...thanks Kim!

"...Single level cervical ADR has been changed from Category III (emerging technology) to Category I ( consistent with contemporary medicine and being performed by many physicians in clinical practive in multiple locations).

The old code 0090T will be replaced with 22856 Total disc arthroplasty (artificial disc), anterior approach, including discectomy with end plate preparation (includes osteophytectomy for nerve root or spinal cord decompression and microdissection), single interspace, cervical
They have also changed the ADR revision and removal codes to Category I. Revision old code 0093T, new code 22864 Removal old code 0096T, new code 22861..."

trkdoc714
12-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Harrison,

Aetna gave me a CTP code of 22857 for the lumbar ADR surgery but did not give me the detail Kim O has supplied. My company employs a Health Advocate. The nurse assigned to my case is researching surgeons that use lumbar ADR technology.

It's amazing how quickly the cervical implant has become accepted treatment.
We're trying to get a 2 level cervical ADR for my wife. We're trying to get her squeezed into an ongoing trial with an already approved (at single level) disc. It looks like that'll happen before I get anywhere with a stateside multilevel lumbar surgery.

Bob

Harrison
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Bob. BTW, see this CMS link:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/Transmittals/downloads/R1164CP.pdf

Harrison
05-24-2009, 04:59 PM
See excerpts below.

Introducing the 2009 CPT code updates -- By Mary LeGrand, RN, MA-CCS-P, CPC

Reading the new Current Procedure Terminology (CPT®) 2009 can be a daunting challenge, but is necessary to ensure that you and your staff are aware of new and revised CPT codes and Guideline instructional changes...

Cervical disk arthroplasty code additions and revisions

Three 2008 Category III codes have been converted to Category I codes in 2009. Because cervical disk arthroplasty includes the use of the operating microscope and fluoroscopic guidance, these two services are not reportable separately. Additionally, interspace preparation (22554), anterior instrumentation (22845), cages (22851), and diskectomy with decompression and osteophytectomy (63075) are all included and are not reportable separately.

Category III and osteophytectomy (63075) are all included and are not reportable separately. Category III codes continue to exist for the additional cervical interspace (0195T, 0196T).

22856—A new code for “Total disc arthroplasty (artificial disc), anterior approach, including discectomy with end plate preparation (includes osteophytectomy for nerve root or spinal cord decompression and microdissection), single interspace, cervical”
22857—Revised to correct a grammatical change, “single interspace, lumbar”
22861—A new code for “Revision including replacement of total disc arthroplasty (artificial
disc), anterior approach, single interspace; cervical”
22862—Guideline revised to apply only for lumbar revision
22864—A new code for “Removal of total disc arthroplasty (artificial disc), anterior approach,
single interspace; cervical”
22865—Guideline revised to apply for removal of lumbar disk only