ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Formal Introduction (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11966)

Boxer78 02-28-2013 03:09 AM

Adr

Yea from barcelona

Lillyth 02-28-2013 07:19 PM

I haven't heard from her in a while. At first, she responded to me, then, once I scheduled the consult I talked to Yolanda for payment. Then once I chose surgery with Dr. Clavel my communication was just with Yolanda. The email issues could be system wide. I would just send Nicola an email telling her what is going on. She always responded to me in a timely manner. Ask her to confirm receipt of every email you send.

TPatti 06-12-2013 07:42 AM

Surgery scheduled BUT cervical ?'s as well

2 Attachment(s)
I had narrowed my coice of doctors to a Dr. Clavel & Dr. Bierstedt. I believe that both are two of the most talented in the world. I choose Dr. Bierstedt for my 3-level lumbar(S1-L3) adr w/M6. The rehab program at Medicos was very appealing to me and helped to sway my decision. Surgery is scheduled for 7/16. Here is were it start to get confusing again! I have had a history with minor cervical issues and in the last 3 months have developed a consistent low grade headache, sore neck and shoulder muscles, and some soreness in my front right deltoid. I had cervical MRI and findings were not want I wanted, 2 images attached. Dr. Bierstedt's findings:
findings:

the cervical spine appears in kyphotic alignment
Disc herniations predominantly at C5/6 and C6/7 resulting in foaminal narrowing and compression of the spinal canal.
Evidence of mild disc herniation at C3/4 without compression of the spinal canal.

depending on your clinical symptoms a surgery, ie decompression of the spinal cord and foramen at C5/6 and C6/7 is advisable and replacement by artificial discs at both levels.

The surgery could be performed in the same surgical session (one anaesthesia) on July 16, 2013.

After reviewing my symptoms Dr. Bierstedt said that my headaches could be aggravated by my lumbar issues and because my symptoms show no severe pain to extremities that he would lean towards being conservative and performing just the lumbar for now but there I would most likely need cervical intervention at some point in the future. I am torn because I cannot imagine having my lumbar fixed and still deal with these headaches. MY QUESTION TO THE GROUP: Have any of you that have had cervical surgery had headaches and muscle soreness w/out radicular pain to extremities?

Lillyth 06-17-2013 08:08 PM

I know this wasn't your question, but do you have Hoffman's? Have someone grab your middle finger on either side of the first joint (allowing the joint to bend), and flick it. Do it on both sides (left and right), because one could be negative, one could be positive. If your thumb and pointer finger jerk involuntarily, you have Hoffman's. Which, at some point, means a wheelchair. Could be decades from now, but only a neurosurgeon can determine that.

My two cents: Get it all done at once. The lumbar hurts so dang bad you won't even feel the cervical! LOL!

The only reason I ever even found out I had Hoffman's was because I overheard the doctor muttering his notes under his breath! That is not something you want to just leave there if you do have it, which is probably what he was referring to when he mentioned the thing about "upon clinical examination". I hope someone else can help you with the question you *actually* asked. LOL!

TPatti 06-30-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillyth (Post 100694)
I know this wasn't your question, but do you have Hoffman's? Have someone grab your middle finger on either side of the first joint (allowing the joint to bend), and flick it. Do it on both sides (left and right), because one could be negative, one could be positive. If your thumb and pointer finger jerk involuntarily, you have Hoffman's. Which, at some point, means a wheelchair. Could be decades from now, but only a neurosurgeon can determine that.

My two cents: Get it all done at once. The lumbar hurts so dang bad you won't even feel the cervical! LOL!

The only reason I ever even found out I had Hoffman's was because I overheard the doctor muttering his notes under his breath! That is not something you want to just leave there if you do have it, which is probably what he was referring to when he mentioned the thing about "upon clinical examination". I hope someone else can help you with the question you *actually* asked. LOL!

Thanks Lillyth, been busy getting life ready to leave for surgery and behind in responding. I own a small remodeling company(myself and 4 employees) and this one time in my life I wish I could just hand someone the doctors not saying I'll be back in three months! I do not think I have Hoffmans but will certainly ask upon my examination with Dr. Bierstedt. The decision was to only perform the three level lumbar for now and try conservative treatment on my cervical. My cervical symtoms are mostly low grade headache with flare ups to severe headache and some localized sore neck. I have four decent herniations(6/7 to 3/4) 5/6 and 6/7 show some spinal cord compression and 5/6 has some ddd with a little height loss. This may become a 4 level surgery at some point in my life:uhoh: The ideal for now is to try a lot of muscle work, some prolotherapy because I am also in kyphotic alignment and trying to restore the proper curve may help and let my body recover from the lumbar to see if having the added stress from that relieved also helps. Lumbar is two weeks from this Tuesday, becoming more real everyday!

2Confused 06-30-2013 10:12 AM

TPatti,
Times getting close! Wishing you much luck and a speedy recovery... Regarding the cervical - I had headaches, muscle soreness, but I also had radiculopathy, major in both arm and even in the right leg. Happy to report it's gone! All gone, except for minor tingling & numbing in my right arm. I stress minor, because it is nothing compared to pre surgery and it comes and goes, so it's not even consistent.

Again, good luck to you.

Claudia K. 06-30-2013 08:07 PM

Hi Todd,
Wish you all the best for your travel and your upcoming surgery. You must be so excited! Please say Hi to Dr. Bierstedt for me when you see him. He is a great Doc!!