ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Prodisc C removal/revision to fusion, questions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10781)

asanders 09-22-2010 12:49 AM

Prodisc C removal/revision to fusion, questions

I had surgery at c5/c6 back in April and healing is not going as planned. So after many dr's appts, PT, x-rays, ct scans, more injections, narcotics, and acupuncture, it looks as though I will be having the prodisc removed and a fusion done.
I'm trying to find 'my own' information rather than the generic info from the dr., personal stories, etc.

Prior to my original surgery, I had my heart set on the fusion. Once I learned I was able to get the ADR, I was quite happy. Now that I'm looking at a fusion, after having the ADR, I'm not so sure. I must be searching something wrong, because I'm finding zilcho information out there, so I was just hoping for some help here :)

Harrison 09-22-2010 10:04 AM

I'm sorry about all this pain and trouble with your c-spine! What is the reason for removal? And what specific areas of inquiry do you have? We'll try to help!

asanders 09-22-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 87224)
I'm sorry about all this pain and trouble with your c-spine! What is the reason for removal? And what specific areas of inquiry do you have? We'll try to help!

The top portion of my prodisc has migrated forward, it is now stable just in the wrong position. The dr is not sure if that is what causing me my pain, or the arthritis. I guess due to the adr, I have arthritic facet joints at the surgical spot (?). He thinks that the disc may just not 'be for me'. I have an MRI scheduled next week I believe, so he wants to see if the joints above and below are arthritic, I guess if they are he won't want to do the fusion after all (?). I had taken my painkillers earlier in the day, and am not 100% sure as to all he said (hence the question marks), my husband was there and restated everything my dr mentioned, I'm just unsure of it all. So much of this doesn't make sense to me.

Edited to add --- I'm just looking for personal stories, or info regarding the removal of the disc. I have heard that the lumbar revisions can be considered life threatening, so I'm trying to find info on cervical revisions.. I'm just not finding great info.. I know no surgery/person is the same, but I'm curious, are you opened up at the same spot? or is a revision posterior? is the recovery time worse than just a fusion, since technically more is being played with in there?

JKDE302 09-27-2010 09:46 PM

Please post a pic of your MRI b/c im having the same problem as you...

asanders 09-30-2010 01:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have NO idea what I am looking at, but to me, something looks very wrong with my this...

I'm not sure if I attached them correctly.. I guess I'll see in a second!

JKDE302 09-30-2010 02:53 PM

Im sorry, I meant your X-Ray pic so I can see what your pro-disc looks like in your neck. Placement? Forward?

asanders 09-30-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKDE302 (Post 87311)
Im sorry, I meant your X-Ray pic so I can see what your pro-disc looks like in your neck. Placement? Forward?

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...4/AmyDisc1.jpg

JKDE302 10-01-2010 03:10 PM

^ Yours looks more forward then mine...

But I want mine out also...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...02/prodicc.jpg

:confused:

CP7959 10-01-2010 04:37 PM

I had cervical revision from ADR to Fusion surgery on 4/20/10. This was my surgeons first revision. The ADR was Spinal Kinetics M6. I have no loss of motion that I can measure. The only issue is that I have nerve irritation in my right arm which I had prior to the revision surgery.

If your in the hands of a good spinal surgeon, hopefully everything will be OK. The biggest question I would have is the Keels on the Prodisc are rather large. Will this create a problem with additional bone loss when he tries to take it out? The M6 had very small keels so that wasn't a problem with me.

Good luck.

JKDE302 10-03-2010 03:40 PM

^Did you get both your M6 disc taken out? If so why?

CP7959 10-04-2010 10:04 AM

Only 1 of my M6's was removed. The Stenum Surgeon (Dr. Ritter-Lang) did a poor job of cleaning out the foramen, so I had problems immediately post surgery. That's the risk we take going to Stenum. They operate very fast. My 2 level surgery was about 40 minutes.

asanders 10-05-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP7959 (Post 87333)
If your in the hands of a good spinal surgeon, hopefully everything will be OK. The biggest question I would have is the Keels on the Prodisc are rather large. Will this create a problem with additional bone loss when he tries to take it out? The M6 had very small keels so that wasn't a problem with me.

Good luck.

That's one thing that has me quite concerned. I also thought I read somewhere that there is a good chance of small fractures from the keels after removal. I have plenty of questions for my NS, that's for sure.
How was your recovery? I'm worried that recovery will be a little worse than a regular fusion, since they are doing a bit more messing around in there than usual.

CP7959 10-14-2010 10:21 PM

My experience wasn't bad. Although it was my Dr.'s first revision, not to mention it was an M6 that is not approved here, so he's never even seen one. He did take the time to speak with Spinal Kinetics to get their opinions on revision of the M6.

So the surgery was smooth. I had no new issues from a recovery point of view. I was dealing with right arm nerve issues from my Stenum surgery, prior to revision.

I would quiz your surgeon on his view of a PRO Disc revision and his thoughts about the Keels and what you might expect.

JKDE302 10-18-2010 10:18 PM

CP7959 can you tell me about how you hurt your neck? Why you had a 3 level ADR, and why you had a m6 removed and fused? which m6 did they take out and fuse, the bottom one? Please let me know b/c i also have a multi level problem and hope to learn.

asanders 10-21-2010 11:27 PM

Had my first (of two) pre-op appts today. Scheduled at the end of this month for a Prodisc removal and fusion.
JKDE, I'll post back and let you know how it went. You seem to be itching the same way I was.

jss 10-22-2010 09:25 AM

asanders,

Good luck! And yes, please let us know how it goes.

Jeff

scotto74 10-22-2010 09:28 AM

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery asanders. I hope and pray that everything goes well for you. I have two levels in my neck that need to be addressed due to cord compression, and I have some lingering concerns about the ProDisc (the doc proposed a fusion at 6/7 and ADR at 5/6). However I also have concerns about getting a two level fusion! These decisions are so tough to make. My older brother is headed for a fourth cervical surgery, so I know that this may be the first of many for me. Good luck with everything and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a successful revision for you.

Scott

JKDE302 11-29-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asanders (Post 87484)
Had my first (of two) pre-op appts today. Scheduled at the end of this month for a Prodisc removal and fusion.
JKDE, I'll post back and let you know how it went. You seem to be itching the same way I was.

What happend????

asanders where you at? I need your advice, I want to know whats up...

catelynnw3 11-30-2010 12:13 PM

Hi Amy,

It's been awhile since you last posted. I hope that the revision and fusion went well for you. Please let us know how you are doing...

Best wishes,
Cathy

CP7959 11-30-2010 04:32 PM

JK sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on the boards. To answer your questions:

CP7959 can you tell me about how you hurt your neck?

No certain event, just have a ****y neck.

Why you had a 3 level ADR,

Because I though I was smarter than the several Dr.'s I visited. Never should of had 3.

and why you had a m6 removed and fused?

Stenum did not do a good job cleaning the foramen so I still had nerve impingement. The disk was fusing anyway, so it was removed,bone cleaned up and fused.

which m6 did they take out and fuse, the bottom one?

C5/C6 removed and fused. I had C6/C7 fused in 2003. I have 2 ADR C4/C5 and C3/C4.

At this moment in time I am doing fine with my neck. No neck pain for the most part. I do get periodic right arm discomfort if I overdue it. But my last surgery was the end of April, so I still have time for improvement.

As an FYI when I was having neck pain post surgery I had the ablation done at 3 levels, both sides all at once. The procedure was a piece of cake as if I never had it done. But that seemed to have fix my neck discomfort.

dustman9725 11-30-2010 06:08 PM

ProDisc c-5/c-6 nightmare as well

I am stuck with this painful prodisc C currently. I am Only 32 and typically very active and in-shape. I have lost 22 lbs since July and feel like a shell of my former self. Pain is unberable, mostly at night and when I wake in the morning (If I actually can get to sleep). I am up till 7 in the a.m. and sleep till noon and then I try to trudge through life until I get to the undesireable evening and it all starts over.

I originally saw my Neurosurgeon on Thursday July 1st, 2010. He took a look at my MRI and said "what are you doing Tuesday?" He would have pushed it on me sooner but he must have had a vacation day on Monday July 5th, the day after the Holiday!!! He explained, "you are in great shape and you are young and it is just one diseased level and this will cure all of your pain and issues." Naturally, I was very excited as I did let the symptoms carry on for many months without consult (Me just being my hard-headed self). I did not have time to or even feel that I needed to do any research. My Surgeon sounded so sure of himself and this procedure and made it sound so simple and easy and quick...that I actually enjoyed my Holiday weekend. The surgery went well and I began to improve until about the middle-to-end of August and then all the symptoms slowly began to return and Here I am now...in worse shape then ever and more frustrated, angry and broken. I feel so betrayed and bamboozled.

I am glad that I found this website. I don't see any light at the end of my tunnel. As mentioned, My surgeon has turned his back on me and the 2nd opinion Neursurgeon worked w/ my original surgeon, so he doesn't want to throw him under the bus or INHERIT his problem. My surgeon Pushed, Cut and Cashed the check!

The only doctor that is listening to me is my Kaiser primary, but he is overwhelmed w/ seeing a ton of patients each day and truly doesn't have time to deal w/ me...Although, to give him credit, he is trying.

There is still minor compression on my spinal cord at the c-6 level...this is causing my numbness and tingling in the hand middle and ring finger, as well as the forearm...BUT I want to know what is causing my pain. If anyone knows who Brock Lesnar is (The UFC guy-275lbs)...I feel like I was chicken fighting with him on my shoulders in the pool for about an hour <-- This is how I describe the pain to family and friends.

Crunching and crackling in my neck and always stiff and constant mobility issues and sharp pain from the bottom of my skull down to and below the base of my neck on the left side (the side of the prodisc implant).

I am going for an EMG test tomorrow, but I am not expecting any help from this either...although I did make sure to go out of plan and go to a completely neutral Neurologist for this Nerve test.

Hoping to get some validation of my pain/issues and for someone to understand me. I just wish they could cut this thing out and start over with a fusion or just get me back to where I was pre-surgery. It was painful then, but now I am in worse shape and at this point...I can't get anyone to provide true help or possess a desire to listen. I try my hardest to hide the pain from my loved ones, because I don't want to burden them...but that leaves me depressed and in an agitated mood as I bury the pain inside.

I was in a life-altering car accident in 1995 that almost took my life and probably initiated my cervical disc problem. I can't totally remember that pain and I am sure it was very intense as I scalped myself, broke 7 ribs, lacerated a kidney, punctured one lung, collapsed the other, broke my collarbone, degloved my scalp, broke my nose, and ripped off my right ear...but each day I remember seeing and feeling improvement after that tragedy. With this surgery, I am not seeing improvement...just bad days and worse days.

Thanks for listening...I hope to get some good ideas and advice and compassion from the members of this board

Dustin

CP7959 12-02-2010 11:47 PM

Dustman,

If your problems are mostly neck issues have you thought about facet injections? You mention spinal cord compression, your surgeon didn't comment on that?

JKDE302 05-08-2011 08:20 PM

asanders how did it go?