ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New recruit, ready for adr action (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13546)

Blizzaga 11-21-2016 02:55 PM

New recruit, ready for adr action

Hi guys,

Just joined this forum. Hoping to get interesting experience and support.

As signature says, not doing very well. Trying to get 2 level adr lumbar. My situation is a bit two-sided. On one hand, I look perfectly fine and can even go to the gym and do some things. Not taking any pain meds currently. On the other hand, cannot sit at all. If I am not in motion, there will be pain. Tired of spending all time horizontal.

I am sure many people would say that I look way too healthy, but they don't know that I spend 20 hours a day in bed. That is not acceptable.

If anyone has good scientific papers on discs, feel free to share with me. I am very interested in this revolutionary tech. I have also read a fair share myself, so can recommend some I found useful.

Planning surgery abroad, living in Europe. The plane trip will be hell anyway. How do you guys who live in US survive the plane trip to Europe??? For me 30 mins seated is pain lvl 9-10... Add turbulence, and the fellow passengers will think a werewolf snuck onboard...

Romakis 11-21-2016 02:59 PM

Welcome.

There is plenty of research here.

As far as flying, that is where your pain meds would come in handy, lot's of them :)

Blizzaga 11-21-2016 03:11 PM

Thanks Romakis, and good point. Now I am happy I still have some Tramadol left, at least it cuts a little edge off the pain :o

Disc replacement 2015 11-21-2016 06:11 PM

Flying is brutal, no doubt. I cross my fingers for no turbulence and stand most of the flight. Take pain meds preventatively vs waiting for things to climb. Then If there is turbulence, more pain meds.

I encourage you to look closely at the research on sitting outcomes. My surgeon warned me that sittin issues are the most resistant to surgical treatment (leg pain and walking improvements much easier). Sadly in my case, although my sitting did improve, it is still unacceptable... I know I'm more rare,
However. There are lots of success stories on here.

If it is possible at all, I suggest trying to decrease the time you spend in bed.
If you are at 20hrs, try for 19.5. Take meds to start a physio program so that you can go into surgery a bit stronger.

Good luck.

WakesurfMike 11-21-2016 09:40 PM

Welcome,

I was in the same sitution seveal years, ended up working from home with treadmill desk. I had microdisectomy got rid of that problem for 5 years. Don't rule out a simple surgery first.

Have you had a sitting MRI?

Blizzaga 11-22-2016 01:45 PM

Thank you Disc replacement 2015. Sad to hear that sitting problems are harder to tackle. You mentioned some research on outcomes. Do you mean posts on this forum or somewhere else?

Blizzaga 11-22-2016 02:00 PM

Hi WakesurfMike and thank you for your ideas. I have joked to some colleagues about setting up a treadmill under a desk, but never though that such would actually exist! I will definetely look this up.

Simple surgery is tempting, but is microdisectomy really that much simpler? I also get impression that many people with severely degenerated/dehydrated discs end up with further surgery later, because microdisectomy treats a (serious) symptom=bulge, but does not fix the failing disc that is acidic and torn up. Right?

I was looking at sitting MRI possibilities some months ago. Only found one in the country, few hours drive, and its quality seemed questionable. They advertise it as something for people who are claustrophobic. I asked orthopedists at few ocasions about it, but they replied that all necessary info is seen in the traditional MRI. I am myself a bit unsure though... If the pain is mostly gone lying in the tube, but intense when sitting, it would logically make perfect sense to analyze the spine status while in pain. It is hard to argue with doctors when their argument is often of the class: "because I believe so". Can't argue against their belief :(

GKTM300 11-24-2016 05:06 AM

Adr

What's your MRI say? Make sure you need ADR n not your sacrum. I seen a few get ADR n it didn't help w sitting as it was their sacrum that hurt when sitting! Just my 2 cents. Your signiture is lacking?

Blizzaga 11-24-2016 07:57 AM

Hi GKTM
Yes, it is important to know the source of pain. In my case the discs are black in the MRI, so it is quite clear. When discs get nutrition and space it relieves pain, which is typical for disc problems.

I will cross my fingers and hope adr helps. It is my final hope.

Harrison 11-25-2016 09:42 PM

Just to be clear, you can have dessicated and dark discs -- and not have them be the pain generator. It's not the norm, for sure.

Do you plan on having a discography? Some doctors don't recommend them while others do. See:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7979