ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   newbie- fusion or adr? (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10628)

weaveman01 06-10-2010 10:48 PM

newbie- fusion or adr?

Hi- 4 years ago I hurt my back at work, and tried to work thru it. I'm a construction electrician so it is a very physical job. I nursed along on the job until I was asked to go home and rest my back.(on my insurance) After explaining how I needed their workmens comp, I was laid off. when I tried regular work again my back gave out and all I could do was look at the carpet face first.

6 months later workmens comp approved it and I got nerve ablations and epidurrals and all sorts of narcotics, but nothing helped much. Workmens comp sent me to their doc and he thought a microdiscectomy would help, so I got that. Went back to work 6 months later and after 4 days of a shovel and pickaxe, I reherniated my back again. New mri showed it and was sent for a discography which showed l4-l5 as leaking and l5 si just oozed out as there was nothing left of it. 2 discs bad.

Dr graf recommended posterior spinal fusion of l4-s1. Got a second opinion at rush in chicago, and dr deutsch recommende a charite at l5s1. He thought discographies were inaccurate and he made his conclusions based on mri and workup. Now I'm very confused. Have been approved for either, and I just have to make up my mind. Any thought are appreciated.

So I just wanted to say hi to all and tell my story here. Kevin

mslizzy 06-11-2010 12:45 AM

Kevin -

I don't have a scrap of advice for you. I am new to this forum and am currently in a holding pattern with my injury, but I just wanted to welcome you and wish you well in making your decision. Maybe a third Dr's opinion would help? Sounds confusing...good luck.

Mslizzy

weaveman01 06-11-2010 06:38 AM

Hi Lizzy and thanks for the welcome.

nanfromsactown 06-18-2010 04:10 PM

Not to confuse things, but I do want to share what I found out recently.

I had a consult with Dr. Serena Hu at UCSF. We discussed the two lumbar discs available for ADR. One is the Pro-disc, the other Charite. As a qualifier, she IS paid by the Pro-disc people so possibly her opinion is skewed, but it also made sense.

She said they found the Charite isn't as good at L5S1 because it's got TOO much movement in it, and tends to be "floppy" which caused problems in two level ADRs. I can see they are only recommending one level for you so that may make a huge difference. But for me, looking at two levels, thats what she said.

weaveman01 06-20-2010 10:29 AM

Honestly- I had the same thoughts to myself about l5-s1 having an artificial disc. I am thinking about trying to get a third opinion, but I don't know if WC would pay for it, and I don't know of anyone else west of chicago that does the artificial disc replacement. WC and the doc has definitely made me feel like I need to make a choice now.....

nanfromsactown 06-20-2010 01:00 PM

Well, it wasn't an issue of l5s1 having an artificial disk. It was an issue of that particular disk having too much movement when they did a two level procedure. They found that the pro-disk does not have the same sort of movement I guess. But I've heard of lots of people having their l5s1 replaced.

Mark Kim 07-17-2010 04:47 PM

I will be traveling to chicago to see a doctor at NOrthwestern University..

His name is Richard G Fessler. He's a neurosurgeon and I know he's one of the pioneers in minimally invasive spine surgery. He's someone you might want to consult with. I think he does both ADR and fusions.

weaveman01 07-21-2010 08:05 PM

:jacks:Thanks for the recommendation for Dr. Fessler. I looked him up on vitals too, and it looks like many people think highly of him, and best of all, he seems to promote minimally invasive surgery. If I may ask, have you seen him before, and did you have a surgery by him? Thanks, Kevin

trulifebrian 08-08-2010 01:07 AM

What do you mean by "west of Chicago"?

I'm in So Cal, just had ADR (Dr Rasouli at Cedars Sinai)...posted here as trulifebrian YouTube - ‪Back Pain Gone!‬‎

No question about my experience....Awesome

I know I'm being very general...but I knew what I wanted and got it

nanfromsactown 08-08-2010 01:19 AM

Hey Brian, great video! Question: were you able to do cartwheels EVER in your life? If not, I'd wait a while :laugh:

Your video gives me hope. I've waited a very long time to settle a nagging workers comp case before I can have my surgery. I am 85% sure I'll go to Germany to have it done. I'm going to book mark your video so that when I feel down or scared, I can play it and remind myself that the chances of ADR working for me are pretty darn good.

Thanks again for the link!

Nanci