ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Two Level ADR U.S. Pay out of Pocket (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13057)

JeffR 04-08-2015 10:30 AM

If I was in the US facing surgery without insurance IN ALL CASES then I would go to Europe in a heartbeat. The surgeons there have better discs available, the best have done more ADRs than US doctors and the cost would be less in most cases (at least it was WAYYY less for me), i.e. 75K in the US versus 43K in Europe (this was a while back though and I understand prices have gone up considerably).

I think the fear of lack of follow-up is overstated, you just need to find a sympathetic doctor which isn't that hard to find - many doctors will be very curious about your new device and would welcome the chance to learn something. The odds of something going south post surgery are VERY low and I don't think it really matters if you are here or there if that occurs, you still will have to pay out of pocket and likely travel.

-Jeff

scoop302 04-09-2015 12:22 AM

I would have to agree with Jeff. My surgery in Spain was about $47,000 for everything. Three first class tickets (my brother and mother had a vacation) and that was at 1.43 dollar to euro. If I had the surgery done here, assuming that I could even have ADR, it would have been over $80,000. Most would not do it because of the previous fusion and the amount of damage consisting of bone spurs, narrowing in the foramen. I am currently seeing an orthopedic surgeon who would have done 2 mobi-c's. I didn't ask about price, since there was no point, but he said it would have been more. The only other doctor that would do it, uses either Bryan or pro disc which I would never do. I need to have two done in my back. Here it would be hybrid, fusion and pro disc. I know it will be more than overseas, but after going to Spain, when I need to do it, I know I will go back. You cannot put a price on experience and this isn't a hip or knee, there really are not any do overs. Plus, I know scars are cool and all, but I look like I tried to hang myself, I don't need to continue the scar all the way around. Although, this past halloween, I painted some stitches on it and gave candy to the kids and shocked their parents.

Romakis 04-09-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoop302 (Post 110074)
Although, this past halloween, I painted some stitches on it and gave candy to the kids and shocked their parents.

Only Spinies can be so cool :D:D:D

NJ Gene 04-09-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 110066)
If I was in the US facing surgery without insurance IN ALL CASES then I would go to Europe in a heartbeat. The surgeons there have better discs available, the best have done more ADRs than US doctors and the cost would be less in most cases (at least it was WAYYY less for me), i.e. 75K in the US versus 43K in Europe (this was a while back though and I understand prices have gone up considerably).

I think the fear of lack of follow-up is overstated, you just need to find a sympathetic doctor which isn't that hard to find - many doctors will be very curious about your new device and would welcome the chance to learn something. The odds of something going south post surgery are VERY low and I don't think it really matters if you are here or there if that occurs, you still will have to pay out of pocket and likely travel.

-Jeff

Jeff, I might be the exception to the rule. I'm having one level done at TBI for $22,375. That covers the surgery, anesthesia, one night in hospital, follow-up, etc. It does not include travel and lodging, but that's obviously much less staying domestic vs overseas. I will of course take a nice tax deduction when I prepare my 2015 taxes.

Gene

JeffR 04-10-2015 12:14 PM

That's a very good price from what I know. To put that in perspective when I had a discogram through TBI the company they subcontracted to tried to tried to fleece me for 18K saying that was the standard rate for discograms. I had it in writing that the whole procedure was going to cost 3K so they eventually relented, but it took a while.

-Jeff

Cynlite 04-12-2015 07:33 PM

Colorado Babe, I just saw the link you posted to your interview! I'm so happy the two procedures restored your life. That is just truly amazing! Thanks for sharing :clap:

Cynlite 04-12-2015 07:39 PM

Private pay prices

Thanks to everyone who shared their surgery prices! If I get enough of them on here, I'll put together a spreadsheet to post both here and on my international thread. Here's what I need:

Date
Cost
Procedure including type of disc
Surgeon

I think that will cover all the important info to share.

Cynlite 04-12-2015 09:02 PM

ADR Costs I have so far

http://i62.tinypic.com/317hbw6.jpg

colorado babe 04-13-2015 12:08 PM

I can give you the breakdown for my two-level cervical Mobi-C (C5-7) and fusion at L5-S1. Sorry but I had two procedures done. I'll include what was billed and how much UHC allowed.

Northern CO Anesthesia Professional's: $2, 646.00 Allowed: $521.41
Northern CO Surgical Association: $3,835 Allowed: $889.61
Rocky Mountain Associates and Ortho MED PC (Assistant Surgeon): $2880 Allowed$244.97
Poudre Valley Hospital: $110, 259.65, Allowed: $21,786.27
Rocky Mountain Associate & Ortho MED PC: 15, 589.00 Allowed: $2,420

Total paid by insurance: $25,861.85

I was in the hospital for 2 nights.

Cynlite 04-13-2015 12:25 PM

ADR Costs I have so far

Thanks Colorado Babe for your input. Here's the revised spreadsheet:

http://i62.tinypic.com/317hbw6.jpg