ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   International Assistance (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Accessing Your Money in Europe (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12032)

Lillyth 03-04-2013 08:44 PM

Accessing Your Money in Europe

Our Bank of America card carries the special chip that makes it work in Europe, but our Wells Fargo cards do not. Any tips on accessing our money while in Spain? Did any of you have trouble?

annapurna 03-04-2013 09:10 PM

We used standard ATM cards and didn't have any problems. We did check with our bank to ensure that they would permit overseas use but didn't really run into any problems in all of the locations we tried. The biggest hiccup was making sure we found an ATM that had English as a option for the instructions.

Lillyth 03-04-2013 09:11 PM

That is very good news! Thank you!

jss 03-04-2013 11:00 PM

An added bonus to using your ATM card in Europe is that you won't incur the 10% for exchanging money; only the fee your bank charges for using the card.

johnwhof 03-04-2013 11:47 PM

Just after we made it to Europe in Sept, my card was compromised, I received a call from my cc company who told me to destroy my chip card, and they couriered a temporary replacement. I had no issues using it anywhere.

Lillyth 03-05-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jss (Post 98117)
An added bonus to using your ATM card in Europe is that you won't incur the 10% for exchanging money; only the fee your bank charges for using the card.

Wow! That IS great news!

Lillyth 03-05-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwhof (Post 98119)
Just after we made it to Europe in Sept, my card was compromised, I received a call from my cc company who told me to destroy my chip card, and they couriered a temporary replacement. I had no issues using it anywhere.

Good to know. How long did it take to get to you?

annapurna 03-05-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jss (Post 98117)

Be careful, though. Some banks charge so much with per transaction and currency exchange charges that it adds up quickly. It's probably worth your while to understand their fee structure so you can decide the best way to deal with it.

jss 03-05-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annapurna (Post 98144)
Be careful, though. Some banks charge so much with per transaction and currency exchange charges that it adds up quickly. It's probably worth your while to understand their fee structure so you can decide the best way to deal with it.

No doubt. With our bank, Chase, there was a $3 fee to withdraw cash, and no fee for a currency exchange. My surgery in 2009 was in the early days of the banks just beginning to add fees for seeming walking in the door. Today it is entirely possible that some banks, even Chase, charging a curency exchange fee.

It would be good to understand your banks procedures on this before going.

JeffR 03-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jss (Post 98145)
No doubt. With our bank, Chase, there was a $3 fee to withdraw cash, and no fee for a currency exchange. My surgery in 2009 was in the early days of the banks just beginning to add fees for seeming walking in the door. Today it is entirely possible that some banks, even Chase, charging a curency exchange fee.

It would be good to understand your banks procedures on this before going.

Also note that the exchange rates you get from an ATM will never be as good as those from a good currency exchange company (transaction fee or not) so it makes sense to get some cash out ahead of time (if you are comfortable with that).