ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Looking for suggestions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13017)

howe2jeep 01-30-2015 05:32 PM

Looking for suggestions

Hello and even though everyone says it, I have to say how great this site is! I'm so glad I found it. The real life information means the world when you have so few answers from US Doctors.
I had a herniated disc a little over two years ago. Massive pain, nothing helped, and Surgery cured me. As time went on I added more things back to my work outs. I thought I had disc problems behind me.
After a fast pace trail run I could not get my hamstring to loosen up for the next few days. Woke up one day after trying a lot of rowing and stretching to massive pain. The next day the pain was gone but left calf and part of foot numb and weak.
Due to weakness I was told I needed a Laminotomy and not ready for a Fusion. He fixed me last time, why doubt him this time. On my last visit when I asked how my disc looked he laughed and said I have a pretty collapsed disc. I have invested 10 weeks off work to now wonder should I have replaced the disc, which he does not do and I did not know about.
My biggest problem is standing. My foot has the wadded up sock feeling and I get burning pain in my thigh.
How long should I wait to see another Doctor that does the Pro Disk? Should I get the Pro Disk and try to get insurance coverage or pay a lot more for the M6? If my current Doctor tells me I have a 30% chance of Fusion do I go back to my active lifestyle and wait for things to get a lot worse? I can not work all day and sit or lay all evening. I have to constantly sit at work every so often when I need to be able to stand for extended periods. Also what type of back Brace do people wear? Do they help?

Harrison 01-30-2015 09:14 PM

Welcome. Sorry you are here.

I’ll defer to others to address your main questions. In the meantime, this might help you with the hypertonic tendons and muscles.

I think one of the best references available is the Trigger Point Therapy workbook, see this link.

We’ve also talked about the Theracane as a good tool for self-treatment. It’s also on Amazon at this link. I still use this on occasion -- it's awesome and simple to use.

Here’s a good overview of “contemporary” thought on the cause & treatment of trigger points:

Trigger Points: Diagnosis and Management - American Family Physician

jss 01-31-2015 09:11 AM

Howe,

You have a tragically common story. Welcome aboard.

I don't know what you should do, but can tell you that we see this pattern all the time. Waiting and waiting, trying everything but surgery (chiropractic, injections, acupuncture, etc...), only to finally succumb to surgery after years of life being on hold while in pain. The great majority come out of surgery much better than when they went in, and most seem to continue to do well. If you've lost significant disc height, that is generally a sign that the most effective treatment is going to be removing the disc (fusion or ADR).

If you go ahead with ADR, I would encourage you to select a surgeon before tying your horse to a specific disc. That is easily the most important decision regarding ADR. BTW: if you go with the ProDisc-L, I would encourage you to consider Jack Zigler at Texas Back in Plano, TX. He has as much experience in the US with that implant as anyone, and is the budda-head of all things ProDisc.

Good luck!

colorado babe 02-02-2015 10:51 AM

I am sorry to hear your story. Well now that you have found us, just do your research, read our stories and make some phone calls to find a surgeon who you trust and feel comfortable with. My surgeon was not in Texas but in Colorado and he gave me my life back. There are plenty of great surgeons in the U.S. if you plan on staying in the U.S. Good luck!

howe2jeep 02-03-2015 01:38 AM

I can't stop reading the stories and information here. I believe I will at least talk to the Prodisc trained Doctor in Charlotte. I am going to easy back into normal activities and see how I feel. I have a follow up with PA at practice that I have been going to and will discuss my symptoms. Compared to some my symptoms are minor. Thanks for the replies. Got to keep reading. But first some sleep.

Karger 02-04-2015 03:36 PM

I went over to Germany where they are not bound to FDA regulations etc and got the Activ-L. It was well worth the trip and the $$. I figured I wasn't going to just let anyone mess with my back, so i hired the pioneer that has been doing it since 89 and with the most exp. I figured if anything went wrong, atleast I went with the best.

I would suggest to take your time and find the dr that fits you.