ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   The time has come. And even Insurance agreed. (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12111)

adrigail 04-11-2013 07:03 PM

The time has come. And even Insurance agreed.

Hi again everyone,
For those that remember, I was scheduled for a single level ADR (prodisc L) at L4-5 for the Monday after Thanksgiving 2012. I chose not to have the surgery and try more conservative methods before I made a commitment that large.
In the following months, I have had 2 ESI's in the lumbar (the second has helped some). In addition, my PM Doc has added Cymbalta 60mg and upped lyrica to 300mg. I also take about 3 04 Tramadol daily. Add to this, PT twice a week including "dry needling" and massage therapy. While I have had some moderate relief, it's only because of the meds. When I let them wear off, the pain returns.
Last week, I made a follow up appt. with my surgeon and told him I was ready to commit and to re-file with the insurance company (Cigna) for the lumbar ADR. My Doc was concerned that recently Cigna has been denying claims for ADR (back to the whole "experimental" argument) I told him that surely mine would be re-approved based on my prior approval. To which he told me that he had two recent denials of requests from people who had previously been approved. (Wouldn't that be just my luck).
Well, I'm happy to say that I just got off the phone with the Surgical Scheduler who told me that Cigna re-approved everything as it had been up to 12.31.2012 and when would I like to schedule!!! :jump:

I've asked for something towards the end of April due to my daughter having her regional gymnastics meet in OK City on the weekend of the
20th.
I'm scared, excited and more than a little reluctant to think I may have to spend up to a month or more sitting (or standing, walking, laying) in my house. I'm a people person, and the singular pleasure I get out of work is spending time with my co-workers. The idea of being by myself that long isn't that appealing!
I ask for any thoughts, prayers or concerns you all would like to share with me and in return, I promise to give a chronology of my experience from "pre-op" to "return to work". (and beyond if I think of it!)

Much thanks to all the participants on this board for all the information they have so unselfishly shared, to and including topics that most adults don't easily share (think poop) :)

Wish me luck please. I need all the emotional support I can get.

Mike

Harrison 04-11-2013 07:39 PM

Hi Mike!

Making these decisions are SO difficult as you now know. So you are just a few weeks away from surgery? Where are you having it? Also, can you add your signature? Pls see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Don't forget to have your teeth cleaned before the big day. Preferably, your RDH uses ozone and xylitol for better/deeper cleaning. This is very important for anyone that will be intubated!

CanadianDean 04-11-2013 08:39 PM

Hi Mike, you will do great....I'm almost six months post surgery (prodisc L L5 S1 )and completely back to livin life, I'm on no pain Meds and most days now I do not even think about my old friend back pain.

Best of luck and if you have any questions or would like to talk just pm me.

Dean

jss 04-12-2013 07:15 AM

Mike,

Congratulations on dodging the insurance bullet! I know you're going to do great. Please let us know when you get the surgery scheduled.

Good luck, Jeff

RobertM 04-12-2013 05:37 PM

Good luck to you and good job on insurance.

Also on the Cymbalta please look up the side effects for it and be mindful of them. Also don't just stop taking it you have to ween off of it. With just being on 60mg it shouldn't be that bad to come off. The way the Dr. did me was he gave me samples of 30mg and had me take 1 a day for two weeks then 1 every other day for another two weeks. But don't just stop taking it.

newleaseonlife 04-13-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertM (Post 99306)
Good luck to you and good job on insurance.

Also on the Cymbalta please look up the side effects for it and be mindful of them. Also don't just stop taking it you have to ween off of it. With just being on 60mg it shouldn't be that bad to come off. The way the Dr. did me was he gave me samples of 30mg and had me take 1 a day for two weeks then 1 every other day for another two weeks. But don't just stop taking it.

Robert is correct. Don't go cold turkey on the Cymbalta! I had to stair step down to get off of it, and it was a bear to do!

adrigail 04-16-2013 03:44 PM

Harrison,

I had my teeth cleaned about a month ago, should I have them cleaned again prior to surgery or is that close enough?
Is there anything else hygiene/wise that you all would recommend?
(robert and newlease) Thanks for the guidance on the Cymbalta. I am going to schedule with my PMD to go over what I can expect after the surgery and if I need to stay on these drugs at this dosage until the surgery day.
I only have two weeks until surgery, so obviously not enough time to "wean" on either the Lyrica or Cymbalta. Not sure that it sounds like fun during recovery either. I wonder if they will keep me going on them until after recovery is done?

I will keep this updated with the answer.

Mike