ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Big File (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   George Clooney and Phil Collins suicidal after spine injury... (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11410)

JKDE302 11-21-2011 12:28 PM

George Clooney and Phil Collins suicidal after spine injury...

Rolling Stone: Phil Collins admits suicidal thoughts - CNN.com

George Clooney Contemplated Suicide After 'Syriana' Set Injury

JEVE19 11-21-2011 07:04 PM

Mere mortals like the rest of us, except they can afford to pay for whatever they need. Not sure how they could be depressed knowing they can fly to a doctor anywhere and get treatment. Maybe they should try having an average US citizens income and not have the option to get fixed.

annapurna 11-21-2011 08:31 PM

Back when Laura got her first ADR, they weren't yet available in the US outside of the one Charite trial. She told me later that the thought that occurred to her as she went under anesthesia was that she was about to get something that the president of the US couldn't get because he wouldn't have been allowed to be placed under anesthesia by a foreign doc. You're right about what money can fix but it can't give everything.

MeggieLynn 11-21-2011 10:15 PM

I feel sorry for Phil. Maybe he should go see Mr Boeree. I'm surprised musicians don't have more neck problems with all that head bobbing they do - especially the rockers.

Cirobi 11-21-2011 10:44 PM

I guess it just shows that even if you do have the money to get whatever procedure you want or need, it still can't fix the mental/emotional aspect of having a spine issue. I still feel for anyone, rich, poor or in between, who deals with a spinal issue and especially those who run into complications from procedures meant to fix the problem.

Reflecting on my own experiences, as much as the physical debilitation wore me down, the mental and emotional stress of not being function and not being able to get it across to loved ones was far worse. And that's on top of the mental stress of knowing 'I should be able to do this easily but I can't' when it came to regular job functions. I just didn't know exactly how bad it was affecting me mentally and emotionally until the physical pain was relieved and I could think/feel more clearly. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the awesome post-op drugs making it feel like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. :laugh:

~Sara

laid up doc 11-21-2011 10:50 PM

agree Cirobi... i was in a similar situation as you... practically disabled in my early 30's. the mental and emotional were absolutely overwhelming, and you don't have an apparent problem. people think you're fine and healthy b/c you're young.... oh how they can be wrong...

i'm also puzzled about Phil Collins.... with a neurologic deficit, why hasn't he had surgery????

JEVE19 11-22-2011 04:08 AM

My point in mentioning the Cleveland Clinic is because people fly from other countries to be treated there.
Why? My mom had "the best" liver doctor, he was in charge of the liver department. Did he cost more, yes.
Did he care more? No. Did she still die? Yes.
Did she cry because they made her feel insignificant? Yes.
Did he send a sympathy card or call when we left a message saying she passed? Nope! Years of treating her and couldn't even call to give condolences.

The place doesn't matter, the doctor does.
Why hasn't Phil had surgery yet?
Hopefully he doesn't have a doctor like Michael Jackson had.
Attracted to the money, not the patient.

I wonder how many doctors would remain doctors if there salary was capped?

Sad that now you have to be your own advocate and research on your own. You can't just trust what a doctor tells you, because he's a doctor. Now, we have to wonder if the doctor is recommending what's best for us, or what makes them more money for "the business".

Makes me very sad for our seniors who aren't pc savy and just follow what the doctor says.
MANY times I had to step in and be my mother's voice.
What about seniors who don't have anybody?
The whole topic bums me out!
We shouldn't have to join a forum online to find out what is best for us.