ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Looking to to ADR with M6 (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13170)

Faravahar 06-05-2015 01:14 PM

Looking to to ADR with M6

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and I'm happy that I joined this informative community.

I am 28 years old and I have suffered from lower back pain for about 11 years and I'm committed to fix it this time and get my life back.

Thank you Harrison for creating this community :)

Faravahar

NJ Gene 06-05-2015 01:25 PM

Faravahar, this board is all about ADR. However, I wouldn't limit yourself to just one device. Don't get me wrong, the M6 is a very good one. However, this does not necessarily mean it's the best for you in your circumstances.

I recommend you get some opinions from ADR surgeons both here in the U.S. and in Europe. Europe is clearly ahead of us in terms of ADR. However, there are some good devices (i.e. Mobi-C) that have been approved for use in the U.S. and are much more likely to be covered by insurance.

They are doing clinical trials here on the M6. Perhaps you can look into that as well.

Good luck!!
Gene

Faravahar 06-05-2015 04:48 PM

M6 vs Mobidisc

Thanks Gene for the input, I have a bit of arthritis in my facet joints and so the artificial disc has to have a controlled range of motion, that's why I'm thinking that M6 would work better and also I already talked to Dr. Bierstedt and he recommended M6.

Harrison 06-06-2015 12:39 PM

Faravahar...

There are several different grading systems that classify the degree of your facet arthrosis. In general, moderate to severe arthritis of the facets are a contraindication for ADR surgery.

If you already know you have this condition, I would work extra hard on getting the affected levels classified.

Another general statement: Euro docs will tend to be more aggressive in recommending ADR for patients with facet arthrosis. Some patients who have this regret getting ADR -- especially some of the ProDisc patients.

Use search function above to look for ample topics on these important issues. We have 11 years of articles and post-op stories!

Terms:

facet arthrosis
facet arthritis
arthritic facet
facet hypertrophy
contraindication
facet complications

You get the point. This should get you started. :wiggle:

Cheryl0331 06-06-2015 03:16 PM

M6-L revamp

Hasn't the initial comps with M6-Lbeen address? I think it's better now for lumbar than it first was. In either case; if you have had facet joint issues, a constrained device like M6 would seem best. Like Harrison said; the Pro-disc has had a lot of issue where this is concerned. Still one has to weigh their options. There are different things that cause pain where the spine is concerned. The nerves that exit the spinal canal, the spinal cord itself, then there is the bone on bone from spurs (osteophytes) and facet joints. What is your primary pain source? Mine was the bone spurs pressing o the nerves. My facet joints were only mild so I was a good candidate. Also keep in mind, radiologist read MRI's and CT in varying opinions. It may be worth it to get more than one! I have had one mention something and another leave it off altogether...:insane:

Faravahar 06-07-2015 02:45 AM

Thank you guys for your comments,
My CT- Scan :
L4/5: there is mild loss in disc height. There is a generalized posterior disc bulge. This is more pronounced in a left posterolateral location with narrowing of the left lateral recess. There is mild bilateral facet osteoarthritis. Mild bilalteral neural foraminal is present.

L5/S1: There is a generalized posterior disc bulge mild in extent. There is minimal contact upon the traversing S1 nerve roots bilaterally slightly worse on the left. Neural foramina are normal. No facet pathology is seen.

I've done esteroid injection into my facet joints but I felt no difference what so ever after the injection, I just don't know why my doctor suggested that because I didn't have any pain on the sides, my pain is a very very central burning pain, it just recently started to go down my left leg, it's not severe though but my lower back pain is horrible, I can not sit down more than 5 mins at the time. I did epidural injection on L4/5 after my facet injection hoping that it would work since it was very close to the source of my pain but again no change.

Faravahar 06-07-2015 02:55 AM

Also I have to mention that the loss of height in my L4/5 is because of the discectomy that I did in 2013 whereas all the jelly like substance was taken out of my L4/5 disc. The sharp pain that had added to my main pain at exactly the same area about 1 year before that surgery was gone after the surgery but my original pain is still there.