ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Anyone around 60 years old had 2 level ADR? (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12087)

SonjaB 03-28-2013 07:34 PM

Anyone around 60 years old had 2 level ADR?

Hey everyone, after lots of research and reading just about every post here (including buying the video, thanx Harrison) I have come to the conclusion that Dr Clavel is 'the' guy to go to.

However, my concern is I turn 60 in a few months and I don't seem to be able to find instances where someone my age has had a 2 level ADR so don't know how bad/easy it will be. It's OK for you 50 something youngsters ;-) but I do know things don't heal as quickly the bigger that darn number gets!

I'm trying to keep fit and doing anything exercise wise to strengthen my core in preparation. I don't smoke, rarely drink and my Doc says I'm skinny. However, I have to work all day laying in bed as sitting at a desk is not a option. Actually sitting at all is a problem, no surprise there then.

I fear this laying around all day is not doing my muscles any good and could hinder recovery. Any advice? Anyone around my age been there, done that? Any complications I might have that a younger person might not? Any 'extra' tests that aren't normally done but are advised because I am, shock horror, older?

I do have to say it has been very encouraging reading about all those who have gone before me and lived to tell the tale. The last 10 years have been hell and the thought of another 20 (oye vey, I should live so long) with no running,skiing, mountain biking etc ad nauseum is depressing in the extreme.

This is the last bit of info I need really before sending all my stuff to Dr Clavel, I'm sure he will say my age is fine but I would like some unbiased opinions first.

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me.

Dingie 03-28-2013 07:48 PM

I am not 60, but...

Hi,

I had a 3 level lumbar at 50 with Dr. Clavel a year ago. I can't share the age group exp you we're looking for..but when I was researching prior to surgery, the best outcomes (at least to the extent that info is available) indicated that the best outcomes were occurring in the 45 to 60 year old age group. I never found the original studies to see what specifically they were measuring other than patient perception....

I wish you the best!

Laurie

newleaseonlife 03-28-2013 08:05 PM

Sonja,

Welcome! I am unable to answer you on the age question, as I was 32/33 when I had my proceedures done. I can say that the laying around isn't the worst thing. It sounds like you are taking care of yourself by eating right. I had to be on super-strict bedrest for 8 weeks following my lumbar proceedure. Later, after thd doctor gave the green light, I found that walking and swimming both helped keep me moving and helped with the recovery process. I truly think that having a positive attitude is one of the most effective recovery tools out there. I have heard great things about Dr. Clavel. While I didn't have my surgery with him, I did go overseas. If you have questions about travelling to Europe or something like that, feel free to send me a PM. Have you gotten a surgeon to do your stateside followup yet? That is another important thing to get taken care of.

Dingie 03-28-2013 08:38 PM

Search Alistair

Hi,

Just noticed a post by Alistair, he is 9 years post op and was 65 when he had surgery.

Good luck:)

Laurie

SonjaB 03-30-2013 02:34 PM

Emailed Alistair

Thanx Laurie, I found Alistair on the UK forum. He lives in my old stomping grounds though I am now an American citizen living in Utah.

I have sent him an email asking for advice, I'll post his reply here in case there are others who want to know if age makes a difference.

Newleaseonlife, good question as I didn't know I needed one. No I haven't found a follow up surgeon, mainly because they have all been somewhat dismissive. Something along the lines of 'I see nothing here I can operate on, especially if you don't want a fusion' when you then ask them about ADR they are blank! They don't do it so they dismiss it.

Anyone from Utah out there? I'm up in the Salt Lake Valley but i'll drive wherever I have to (well, poor long suffering hubby will :laugh:) to see a surgeon who understands the op even if they don't perform it. I have a really good PT who has worked on my back pre and post op many times before, it's just a good sympathetic surgeon I need.

Thanx for coming back to me with questions, you never know what you don't know:)

newleaseonlife 03-30-2013 04:04 PM

I know of a couple incredible surgeons in NV, but none in Utah. Dr. Smith is out of Las Vegas and Dr. Song has his neurosurgery practices in Carson City and Reno. Neither are a slouch in the ADR department.