ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Naturopathic Corner (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Vitamins and Herbs for Pre and Post-op Surgery (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12712)

Harrison 03-24-2014 08:41 PM

Vitamins and Herbs for Pre and Post-op Surgery

This info is from one of my favorite books, Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyliss A. Balch. These nutrients are helpful in preparing your body for surgery as well as post-op healing. You can get the specifics (dosing, vendors and recommendations) in the book – which is on Amazon or your local library.

- Acidophilus
- Coenzyme Q10
- Essential fatty acids
- Free form amino acid complex
- Garlic
- L-Cystine
- L-Glutamine
- L-Lysine
- Methylsulfonyl-methane (MSM)
- Multi-complex with A and careteinoids
- Grapeseed extract or Pycnogenol
- C with flavonoids
- E and E oil
- K
- Zinc
- Calcium
- Silica
- D

Herbs:

- Herbal teas
- Alfafa, dandelion, nettle
- Bromelain
- Turmeric
- Burdock and red clover
- Echinacea
- Goldenseal
- Kelp, reishi, St. John’s wort (may protect against radiation effects)
- Milk thistle
- Pau d’arco
- Rose hips

Devo 06-10-2014 11:37 PM

Serotonin Syndrome and muscle pain

I came across some interesting info about serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include muscle pain, stiffness, tremors, anxiety, sleep disorders and blood pressure fluctuations. Many pain medications especially Tramadol and oxycodone raise serotonin. Caffeine, chocolate, eggs, whole grains and many other foods also bump it up along with sunlight exposure. Combining certain medications can raise it up exponentially such as pain meds and antidepressants. Even magnesium supplements raise it up. I noticed after drinking coffee, eating figs, chocolate, Swiss cheese and eggs along with taking a half a hydrocodone in one day that my myelopathy symptoms seem to become much worse with extreme stiffness and tremors. I cut back on anything that raised serotonin and my symptoms subsided in about 48 hours.
Serotonin overload can also cause impulsive behavior such as binge eating or shopping.

colorado babe 09-26-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devo (Post 106087)
I came across some interesting info about serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include muscle pain, stiffness, tremors, anxiety, sleep disorders and blood pressure fluctuations. Many pain medications especially Tramadol and oxycodone raise serotonin. Caffeine, chocolate, eggs, whole grains and many other foods also bump it up along with sunlight exposure. Combining certain medications can raise it up exponentially such as pain meds and antidepressants. Even magnesium supplements raise it up. I noticed after drinking coffee, eating figs, chocolate, Swiss cheese and eggs along with taking a half a hydrocodone in one day that my myelopathy symptoms seem to become much worse with extreme stiffness and tremors. I cut back on anything that raised serotonin and my symptoms subsided in about 48 hours.
Serotonin overload can also cause impulsive behavior such as binge eating or shopping.

Now I know why I have been shopping a lot. Between the tramadol, Cymbalta, wellbutrin and chocolate, it probably has my serotonin shooting off the roof.

Cheryl0331 05-20-2015 02:51 PM

eggs cheese?

I eat these every day! Yikes!

Kelly4ADR 10-18-2015 12:19 PM

Pre-op herbs??

I am 2.5 weeks out from my Second cervical surgery this year. I have been instructed by my surgeon and my primary care Dr (who is not a naturopath but has a solid foot in both modern/natural medicine) to stop turmeric 10 days preop because of its blood thinning properties. There was a long list of herbs to avoid, but this one applied to me. Just an FYI.