ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Big File (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Need cost of 2-level fusion? for Appeal Cost Analysis Section (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8814)

Kim_Dean\'sWife 08-06-2007 10:41 PM

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a two-level lumbar fusion in the US? I'm finalizing my first level appeal and I'd like to use that piece of information in my cost analysis section. Thanks!
-Kim

08-07-2007 06:37 AM

Wife of Dean;

As a matter of fact I do. In my appeal I did a cost comparison self pay of a 2 level fusion and a self pay of two level ADR. The fusion is $102,625 for a 360 degree fusion. My self-pay cost for ADR is $70,000.

Keep in mind this is a self-pay cost at a specific hospital with specific doctors.

If I go through my insurance, costs are considerably higher (about 45%) and vary from one insurance company to another. From my research and interviews, I was told that insurance fees are negotiated and determined by each doctor, hospital etc...based on many factors. As a matter of fact I was unable to get the negotiated cost for my ADR procedure from my insurance company since it is a contract with the hospital and my doctors. To be honest I am not sure that my insurance company has an ADR cost even though they do have a CPT code for one level ADR.

Hope this helps, if you need a further breakdown or information shoot me an email and I will give you more details.

Jmbeam 11-15-2007 08:18 AM

Can anyone help me with the costs for a three level lumbar 360 lumbar.I am attempting to compare these costs to a three level ADR and a two levvel with one 360 fusion. Thanks for the help.

CindyLou 11-15-2007 12:00 PM

Can't help with the fusion costs, but my 3 level lumbar ADR in Germany was just under $70,000. I had it done 7 months ago today. Good luck to you!

Trish 11-16-2007 08:45 AM

Bergen, Norway
approx. $23,000 for my 2-level ADR (Prodisc) was performed 7 months ago in Bergen, Norway. (the health care system paid for my surgery)

I would definitely recommend the surgeon and private hospital I went to! Dr. Sjur Braaten (pronounced Broten) of Bergen Spine Center. He has lots of experience and he's good.

Unfortunately, the dollar exchange rate is so bad right now, so your dollar won't go as far as it did just a year ago. Be careful to get all your quotes in the currency you will have to pay in: i.e. Euro's for Germany, Norwegian Kroner for Norway, etc... then do the conversion yourself here:
currency converter

It may sound silly, but it could be thousands of dollars difference.

2-levels at Bergen Spine Center is approx. NOK 125,000. With today's exchange rate, that's $23,355.60. Far cheaper than any price you'll get back I bet.

I have communicated with many people who have had Dr. Braaten operate on them and every single one of them is impressed with the time he takes to answer questions, with the genuine care he exudes. His staff is the same.

Lisibug 11-16-2007 09:01 AM

My one level cervical fusion was $91,560.00, done in the U.S. In 3/07 I underwent a 3-level cervical ADR by Dr. Bertagnoli, plus he took out the plate and screws from the fusion and performed a discogram, and the cost was just under $47,000.00.