ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Preparing for 5 levels ADR Dr. Bertagnoli (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14008)

funcrew 07-02-2019 01:23 PM

Preparing for 5 levels ADR Dr. Bertagnoli

Hi,

My US doctor proposed lumbar and cervical fusion. I already knew that was a non starter, the only question was where to get ADR and how to pay for it. Fast forward, I have a quote from Dr Bertagnoli, and have the funds ready. Then I found this forum. Will post up a question in the appropriate category.

Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of actionable information.

Harrison 07-11-2019 10:17 AM

Oh my gosh, five levels. Any news since your post from July 2?

funcrew 07-12-2019 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 118210)
Oh my gosh, five levels. Any news since your post from July 2?

Harrison, thanks for asking. From Dr. Desai:
Dear Mr. Gibson!

Thank you for sending me your recent MRT scan lumbar and cervical.

In your recent cervical MRI I see the dehydration and loss of disc height in C4/5 and C5/6 and C6/7.

Modic changes are seen in C5/6 and C6/7. Kyphotic angulation in the level C4/5 and dehydration.

From your medical history, age and the MRI, I suggest to treat C4/5 and C5/6 and C6/7 with the ADR (possibly fusion with a stand alone cage in C5/6 and C6/7).

Spinal canal is not too narrow.

The CP-ESP (cervical disc) is a visco-elastic artificial disc and allow for 6-degrees of motion in all directions and accurately replicated the natural biomechanics of the spine.

This allows for natural motion and decreases the chances of any additional degeneration at adjacent levels, as well as degeneration of the facet joints.

Results of the implantation of the ESP discs have proven much more successful than traditional fusion.

I'm a bit disturbed by his mention of fusion as an option. I could get fused by any hack doctor in hometown, USA. Anyway, I will jump through the hoops and see what happens. Also he didn't mention my lumbar situation, so I asked him to look into it. Since the guy Emailed me directly (assuming it's not an assistant) he's either not crazy busy or he works all night.

annapurna 07-13-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funcrew (Post 118216)
I'm a bit disturbed by his mention of fusion as an option.

If you think about it, though, he's offering fusion at levels where the thoracic spine is about to pick up and ADR at level(s) where the rest of the C-spine might be compromised by adjacent level effects. It isn't a horrible compromise if you're forced into that. BTW, the local hacks that you mention would likely not get the three devices, of whatever type they are, fully aligned and have the misalignment cause unnatural stresses within the spinal column, so you are better off going to someone who's done a lot of multi-level.

funcrew 07-15-2019 03:59 PM

Agree completely as far as going to a top guy. Where I live in a glittery tourist mecca in the desert southwest, I would not have some clown here extract a tooth.