ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New member (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10106)

Discinterested 07-20-2009 08:08 AM

Hi everybody and greetings from uk!

I am 42 years old, married with 4 young children
Suffered low back pain for about 4 years
(Times up... hang on a minute, let me just climb off this chair, kneel on the floor and put my armpits on the edge of the desk...)

Recently contacted someone called David who left a testimonial on the internet regarding ADR surgery, as his prior condition and mindset seemed very similar to mine. Kindly replied and gave me lots of fantastic information, the best being this forum. Have done lots of reading around here (especially Davids amazing story) over the last few days and quickly came to the conclusion that ADR is most definitely a team effort, and completely understand why he referred me here. In case he has not posted in a while, I am pleased to report that he says he could not be happier with his decision to get ADR surgery (I'm sure he won't mind). Not that he made any recommendations to me other than to research and make my own decisions.

(Ok, time to sit on the floor... chin on desk...)

Believe it or not I consider my average pain to be about level 1. I have had the unique opportunity, being self employed (part-time) to be able to limit my work and activities according to how my life-and-fun-sucking-leech friend attached to my lumbar spine dictates. So, as I generally am able to manage my pain very well by resting(!) when I need to, I consider my problem to be one of mobility rather than pain oriented. It would of course be vice-versa if I was forced to maintain a full time job.

Loved surfing, swimming and keeping fit etc. and am very seriously considering ADR as the positives 'can' be so so promising. I welcome a good pounding from you regarding this as I want to make the most informed decision about this and develop the correct mentality for facing the unknowns of surgery if and when it should come to it. Doctor said I should try and take up swimming again, so I did a few lengths (used to do a mile), left the pool, sat in the car, wait a minute ...ah yes I remember!

Recently applied for a treatment case evaluation from a spinal surgeon who does lots of ADRs and other conservative treatments. Figured there would be little use researching ADR if it turned out to be a poor choice of treatment for my condition. As I reported low pain levels I did not expect to be taken too seriously, but his best surgical recommendation was ADR at two levels, based on the nature of my pain and limitations of mobility.

I am a little anxious about my prospects and look forward to all/any advice.

Respectfully

Brian

AJ 07-20-2009 10:00 AM

Welcome

Hi Brian, sounds like you have been doing the right thing and reading lots of stories on here. Have you had any other diagnostic tests done apart from the MRI?

alison x

Discinterested 07-20-2009 10:40 AM

Alison

I guess you mean to rule out facet joint pain. The doctor who I consulted regarding the case evaluation said my symptoms indicated "primary discogenic pain" (I guess this implies there could be "secondary facet joint pain"?) If you saw my MRI you would understand as I have perfect discs above the problem levels, but L4-5 and L5-S1 are black, mis-shapen and have what to me looks like central bulges (although the height of the two discs look good).

When visiting GP a couple of days ago (regarding sick note) he gave me a referral for lumbar spine pain clinic. I guess they might be up for running diagnostic tests.

Cirobi 07-21-2009 10:20 AM

Hi Brian,

I can definitely sympathize with you on the state of your problem discs. I was also in a situation where my problem disc was very dark on the MRI with what looked like a rupture centrally, but the disc height hadn't really decreased at all yet. Despite the ok disc height, the herniation was a huge pain in the back (haha).

I think what Allison may have also been asking was if you had a discogram at all. My surgeon's office had me go through one because my MRI hinted at potentially 2 major problem discs with 2 that were bulging ever so slightly. Turned out that the main pain generator was only my L5/S1. The L4/L5 disc was fairly dark in my MRI and had a small tear, but they preferred to not operate on it unless they absolutely had to. So far, I think I'd have to agree with them on utilizing the ADR to preserve what was still ok in the above disc.

It's likely that you may go through such a diagnostic when you go to that spine pain clinic. My primary care doc never thought to send me for any such thing but then again I'm not surprised as he was well... not the greatest.

Good luck in your research. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good feedback from the group here. :)

~Sara

tooyoungforthis 07-21-2009 02:00 PM

Welcome

Hi Brian,
First and foremost I think you need to get a new chair that helps your back, not cause it more pain! :D enjoyed the post.
Like many people on this site I have had pain for many years, and we all have to adjust our lives to it. I am sorry to hear about yours, and hope you find relief soon! This forum is great to generate new questions, get support, gain knowledge on new procedures and what next steps to take.

Happy digging!

Discinterested 07-21-2009 04:48 PM

Hi Sara

My MRI images don't appear to be showing any loss in disc height either (IMHO), fortunately.

I mentioned in my original post about the discs looking mis-shapen, but now realise this doesn't mean a lot so I will mention a few more details (according to my opinion):

The side views show a small bulge for each disc, and the plan views show the discs to be oval rather than the 'kidney' shape of the good discs. Also the bad discs appear a bit larger as they look closer to the nerve roots. What looks particularly nasty to me is the angle between ends of the S1 and the L5 (I just can't see what's holding it all up!). Also the upper end of the S1 is slightly forwardof the lower end of the L5 which makes the L5-S1 disc look wierd. Perhaps this is more due to my position being laid down on my back.

Both discs equally black in my case.

I have not yet had the pleasure of having a discogram, and appreciate that it might be the only way of telling that the pain is actually coming from the discs themselves. I guess there is a small chance that if facet injections completely removed all the pain it might prove no pain is coming from the discs. My GP informed me that my pain originates from the facet joints as there is no sign of nerve compression and there are are no nerves in the discs to cause pain. Other than than though, he was very helpful.

Discinterested 07-21-2009 04:57 PM

Beth, wow, you really are too young for this!

All chairs look like some kind of torture equipment to me!

It's good to be here and feel I have learnt lots already and I have barely scratched the surface reading the posts.

Thanks

Brian

berry 07-22-2009 10:19 AM

Hello Brian and welcome to the forum although I am sorry that you have spine issues which require surgery. I am sure you will find much helpful info here...I know I do.

Are you aware of the ADR Support UK site? You may also find that to be of interest so perhaps I'll see you there too. Here's the link http://www.adrsupportuk.com

Good luck with your researching and all the best for the future.

Kind regards

Lynda

:)