ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Greetings - New Member (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12550)

Zach 01-01-2014 01:20 AM

Greetings - New Member

Hello everyone. I can't say enough what a treasure I have found with this site. Thanks to everyone that has made this place run and work. It's amazing!

Harrison 01-01-2014 12:44 PM

Hi Zach!

Sorry you are here, but I hope we can support you in your journey. Thanks for doing your signature too. It looks like you have just one level of your lumbar spine that is problematic, is that correct?

Zach 01-01-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 103593)
Hi Zach!

It looks like you have just one level of your lumbar spine that is problematic, is that correct?

Thank you very much Harrison. I can't tell you what an amazing thing you are doing and how much of an impact you are having on other people's lives because of this site. Thank you so much.

Yes, my issues are contained at L5/S1. In fact, L4/L5 looks great... for now! The fact that I am 33 with gives me a lot of pause around what route to go. Fusion clearly adds risk to the degradation of L4/L5 over time... and from what it sounds like, I would likely outlive the lifespan of the ProDisc L... and a second MDL would cause further degeneration of L5/S1 and probably increase the amount of lower back pain (although it would address the immediate concern of the compressed l5 and s1 nerves in my left leg/ foot)... it's appears to be quite a pickle from all angels

Harrison 01-02-2014 09:57 PM

Zach, it is a big decision indeed. What are your next steps? Questions?

Zach 01-03-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 103627)
Zach, it is a big decision indeed. What are your next steps? Questions?

Well, unfortunately time is not on my side. Due to the nerve compression I need to act sooner than later to prevent long term nerve issues (at least regarding the herniated disc pressing on L5 and S1 nerve roots). I am leaning towards a second discectomy ASAP and then waiting out the DDD to see how things go. Perhaps I can prolong the need for ADR long enough for more advancements to come about.

Although, the idea of killing 2 birds with one stone now is more appealing in theory, I just don't have a lot of confidence in the Pro Disk in my spine for 50 years. Perhaps I am paranoid, but when you read about the advancements in the M6 design, the future looks bright. Living with DDD for a few more years won't be ideal, but I think I might be able to manage ok.

jss 01-04-2014 12:51 AM

Zach,

What a pickle indeed! Congratulations on possessing the wherewithal to understand that you're going to have to live with this decision for another ... 50 or so years.

That sounds like a wise course; another microdiscectomy to buy you time. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much on the horizon ADR-wise. There are a few new lumbar ADRs. Hopefully they'll produce good records while you're waiting; and by the time the "other shoe drops", the decision will be easy. Those microdiscectomies don't seem to last a long time. I'd encourage you to continue your research looking for the best course.

Permanent nerve damage is an unpredictable thing. We see people like me who had nerve compression for less than two years incur permanent damage. Then we've seen others that have had 20+ years of nerve compression that didn't incur permanent damage. Which are you? Of course no one knows.

Good luck, Jeff