ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Potential ADR (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10480)

ByronA19 02-23-2010 08:58 PM

Potential ADR

Dr just recommended a 2 level ADR, but I was told by his insurance Expert that I can't get two levels done in Illinois. Yes, United Health Care is involved. Does any one know anything about Illinois still having a single ADR restriction? I am wondering if I traveled to anohter State (such as to the Cleveland Clinic) if they might not have the same restrictions?

She (the insurance Expert) does think I could get a single ADR (between C5 and 6) and a fusion between 6 and 7. I would prefer as would the Dr to do the 2 level ADR. And comments on doing 1 ADR and one fusion?

Harrison 02-24-2010 03:39 PM

Byron,

Many folks in the states have multi-level, cervical artificial disc replacement. And many have had "hybrids" as well (fusion and ADR). Can you tell us a bit more about the radiologist's report of your cervical spine?

Also, you may have already seen this topic in Arthroplasty Central: ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications. If not, please read it carefully.

2 Young 2 Hurt Like This 03-02-2010 08:22 PM

Byron,

My Surgeon made it very clear to me that the 2 level ADR is NOT FDA approved. Due to that, insurance companies will NOT cover it. I've heard people are having a hard time getting approved for a just a single ADR. That probably has to do with the make and type of disc seeing as how some are and are not approved by the FDA. The FDA is having trouble keeping up with the medical advancement of today.

~Liz

tooyoungforthis 03-03-2010 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear

Hey Liz I am sorry to hear that you are going through all of this! I know what it is to feel too young for all of this stuff as well. I had an ADR placed last October. Hang in there! There is a lot of info and people that will help you here! Good luck and I hope you find relief soon!

ByronA19 03-03-2010 11:25 PM

Actually, originally the doc wanted to do a double fusion C4 and , then C 6 and7)and place a single (C5 and 6) ADR in between the 2 fusions. Not quite what I hoped for. After we talked a bit, he agreed that caring for the two disks that are causing me the most problems was the right way to go. It seems that there are endplate changes on C 4 to C7, there is disk height loss at C 5, 6 and 7. with central stenosis and flattening on the GHT. Lot more info, but I m going wait to get a copy of the latest report before typing it out.

But he (the doc) also made it sound like they could do multiple ADR's in other states. I checked with the FDA his AM and Liz is correct, not here, not the US.

At any rate, it sounds like I may need to head overseas to get all of these disks repaired. I contacted Stenm Hospital this afternoon and I may try the one in India, if I can't get the insurance to cover any of this cost.

I had been OK, but my OXCod ran out two weeks ago and I am still waiting for the refills While they should be here by Friday, I didn't realize who much they hid the pain. I had my 7th Epidermal (in 3 years) on Friday, hoping that might help, but it hasn't and massive does of over the counter stuff doesn't help much at all. So, it is time (after 20 years) to do something about this. I would like to sleep laying down again before I leave this place. I haven't been able to do that with out 8 or 9 oxcod for years. And the Nuro doc tells me that the longer I stay on these pain pills the more likely I will still hve problems after getting my back fixed. :disgust:

Harrison 03-04-2010 12:48 AM

Sorry, I am now returning home after a business trip and reading this with weary eyes. Byron, of course, if you are qualified for multi-level ADR, you can get performed in the states. And it would be prudent to check with patients and surgeons who can help you with this big step. Many docs have performed both cervical and lumbar multi-levels in the US. I may be missing something, but feel free to contact me later this week.

Did you carefully review the the topic I provided? ;)

femalepowerlifter310 03-06-2010 08:29 PM

Call the LA Spine Center

Hi there,
Just read about your plight - my doctors say they deal with a lot of out of state folks for a variety of reasons. And they have a ton of experience doing multi level cervical ADR. Not sure insurance will cover, but worth a call. I just had Lumbar ADR done and am beyond impressed with my care.

Look up Dr. Delemarter and Dr. Rasouli of the LA Spine Institute - Santa Monica and Beverly Hills / Cedars Sinai locations.

Good luck!