ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   About to have ADR,new to site (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11192)

Lynda 07-04-2011 05:22 PM

About to have ADR,new to site

Well,here it goes!

I have always read but never posted about my back problems before,maybe I was hoping they would go away LOL. Well I started with severe back pain 11yrs ago after coming home from the hospital to have my oldest Jordyn. After an emergency c-section I came home,I noticed my back was killing me and it looked like someone had beaten me across my lower back. Everyone I complained to said "you just had a baby of coarse your back hurts".

Well with in six weeks of that and a move from N.Y to Florida I was in unbearable pain.First MRI told me it was my L5-s1. I didn't even know what that was at first. After a life of gymnastics,dance,cheer leading and lots of working out I never had a back problem ever.

Every doctor I saw at the time told me I would need a fusion. At that time I thought I would beat this,work out more and all would be well,boy was I wrong! I went on to have two more children,continued to work out,clean the house and all that goes with taking care of my family all the while in chronic ,severe back pain. In all these years not only severe pain but I was not able to stand for very long.

Flash forward 1o hrs. Last year this time I fell getting up out of bed. I knew something was wrong. My left leg went numb over night and I could not feel my left foot at all. Not only was my leg numb but now I couldnt walk or stand for more than 10minutes. I have been this way since. In this year I have had endoscopic surgery to repair nerve damage and now ADR by mid Aug, I have been so scared to do this but now scared to stay like this.

Thank God I swim everyday but even that hurts. My life in this past year has been really rough. Walking is almost impossible,maybe I get 5-or 10 minutes and then the pain is so strong only lying down will help. As a person who has always worked out it's been hard to sit on the sidelines for EVERYTHING.

So for not only myself but my family I'm going in! Now,I know my doctor must tell me everything but I must admit after meeting w/him last week,I'm scared!

Reading these post have helped. My doctor kept repeating how serious the surgery is and now I'm so scared to do it although I'm not backing out. I'm trying to get past the fear. Any suggestions?

jss 07-05-2011 08:05 AM

Lynda,

What a story! An unfortunately common one here on this site.

I certainly commend you for finally getting this done. Though there are many risks, you have discovered that staying in this condition is not living. In a couple of months you'll have had surgery and be in the recovery phase, and finally able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Which implant are you having? Who is your surgeon?

Good luck, Jeff

Lynda 07-05-2011 01:39 PM

Hello,
Thanks for the encouragement! I know I should have dome this awhile ago but I guess it just wasnt the right time.? I thought if I joined this site it would help as I do not know anyone going through this.
I ruptured the L5-s1 in a 90% collaps,large herniation with severe nerve damage. Had endoscopic surgery to repair nerve damage in Nov,2010 but still cant barly walk. Had a disogram 2 weeks ago which showed as the doctor said "complete shredding of the disc" (hurt bad)
My doctors are Dr Adamson and Dr Coric,Charlotte Neurosurgery in Charlotte.Either having pro-disc L or freedom disc. going tomorrow again to see the surgeon and take x-ray of spine for size.
How is the pain after surgery??:wiggle:

Thanks so much for your advice!

jss 07-05-2011 10:17 PM

Lynda,

I was in less pain after surgery than I was when they wheeled me into the operating room. However, my ADRs were cervical, which, I am told is a walk in the park compared to what you're about to go through. There are many lumbar patients on this site. Hopefully some of them will chime in soon with their experiences.

Good luck, Jeff

Lynda 07-06-2011 09:42 AM

Thanks..:)

winecaptain 07-06-2011 11:10 AM

Like the last poster. I too was in much better shape immediatly after than before. Mine too was cervical (single level Prodisc-C), so maybe not the best comparison. As far as my pain went, virtually pain free after surgery on day of operation. Next day felt like I could have run a marathon (lots of adrenalin and wanting to get out of the hospital, coupled with residual effects of anesthesia and narcotics). Went home around 4:30 PM and slept fine. I woke up on what I will call day 3 in 10 of 10 pain! Could not even be touched by the Vicodin and Skolaxin. On day 4 visited nurse practitioner of my spine Dr, she wrote Percoset and Valium. It took a day to take effect both within 24 hours was down to 3 of 10 pain on day 5. By day 6 pain was 1 of 10 (on Percoset/Valium x 2 each day (one AM one PM of each). By day 10 only taking 1 Percoset/Valium at bed time to make sure that if I rolled the wrong way I would not be awake. By day 16 no more pain meds... Sleeping well, no pain... I must add that I have been on 400mg of Celebrex since day 3 after surgery and will stay on for two months to reduce potential of hetertopic ossification...

My only advice is to follow directions during the recovery process and do not take on too much too fast. I took a big step backwards over the last several days due to trying to do too much (too many hours back at work and too much typing and talking on my phone without my bluetooth headset (leaning me phone to my shoulder) generally working around the house, picking things up off the floor, washing clothes, putting away dishes, and bar-b-q ing 20 pounds of beef ribs for the 4th, etc. I felt fine, so I thought that I was capable of a lot more (this was all about 3 weeks post surgery). Two to three days later I am now back to lots more inflamation and pain again (disc x-rays are fine - just had them re-done this morning), but back on pain meds (Percoset) (had been off for a week), etc. The swelling was actually visible in my upper back and left neck. The bottom line is that you may feel better than you really are and if so, BE CAREFUL. It is a good problem to have to feel so much better, but please learn from my mistakes...

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery!

herron65 07-06-2011 01:51 PM

Lynda
My pain was gone as soon as I was awake, I had other new pains from the surgery it self but that resolved pretty fast my thighs still have some pain at times because they stretched me out a bit. The surgery site in my stomach was the worse but it faded away after a bit.
Recover has been good to me and I was back to work in 2 1/2 weeks after surgery but I take it very easy and no twisting yet
Good luck
Jeff

Lynda 07-06-2011 02:55 PM

Thanks so much,I just found out today my surgery is SEP 1st
they had issues getting the neuro surgeon and vascular surgeon together, surgery is a bit longer than I expected. I will take all of your advice!!

Thanks so much,starting to feel better about this:clap: