ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   Insurance Hell (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Insurance reimbursement (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13023)

Iron 02-08-2015 04:39 PM

Insurance reimbursement

After almost a year and half of researching to figure out what was wrong with me and finding the best way to fix it, I am 99% sure I will be seeing Dr. Clavel very soon for a 3 level Cervical ADR.
I have researched this forum deeply trying to get the best answer just to remain confused as to the correct procedure and order of achieving a Reimbusement from my Insurance Company.
I have Blue Cross
Here is the question:
1. I have read people just going ahead and having the surgery, then sending the surgery info in to Blue Cross for reimbursement.
2. I have read also that people have gone the old preapproval route, sending their information in before.

I have already been through the appeals process for a one level all the way to the external review level, where I backed out because I have a multiple level problem.
Any assistance, guidance or oppinions will be soooo appreciated.
Thank you

LauraB 02-09-2015 08:40 AM

Hello Iron,

I was one of the lucky ones who DID get reimbursement from BCBS. I did not get preapproval from my insurance because they don't like the idea that you will leave the states (in my case) to seek healthcare anywhere else; especially a multi-level which was not FDA approved here. I could not have ADR in 2013 due to the multi-level/adjacent to a fusion issue. My only choice was to choose a surgeon elsewhere; otherwise endure multi-level fusion and a restricted lifestyle.
I did go ahead with the surgery anticipating that it would be an out of pocket expense - and yes....I went through my savings, borrowed some money, and sadly sold off some personal possessions. However, my happy thought through all of this was that I would get my life back and enjoy it (priceless!)

My BCBS is through a Chicago Union. I collected all receipts which included a detailed financial statement (in euros and US $) from the surgeon, hospital, and rehab center. I also requested a statement of diagnosis from my surgeon with his surgical notes and opinions. I submitted everything to the BCBS Worldwide network (part of my plan), but they didn't know what to do with it (???) I resubmitted everything directly to our contracted carrier's office. They submitted everything and it took almost a year from the date of surgery to the date I received my check. They covered everything - 100%. How could they not? My actual surgery was a pittance charge for what would have been charged for the surgical intervention here in the states, plus I have a more positive outcome that would not require additional surgery in the future....Saving THEM money! I made sure that I included a letter outlining all of the pre surgical requirements that needed to be fulfilled (therapies, injections, and any other non invasive interventions).

All non-surgical/non-insurance related expenses became a medical tax deduction. My transportation, additional hotel charges, rental car, etc. was submitted and I was able to "eek" back a healthier return too.

I believe persistance is the key with dealing with insurance companies. All too many times they deny claims for absurd reasons - or they made an error. Many people don't bother to question the denial or they make a phone call, but don't get the response they want. I DO! I believe it takes at least 3 phone calls to clear up one little error. Do not give up - perseverance is the key to success. My submission to BCBS was at least 3-4" thick of paperwork - I think I may have scared them away (someone has to read it all).

Good luck to you.
LauraB

Jerry5 02-09-2015 09:24 PM

File and Appeal

File for reimbursement, they will haggle and not want to pay, but APPEAL, if they do not the first time.

Make sure you give a detailed history and tell them that this was NOT elective.

Did get some reimbursement.

But I had to fight, call and APPEAL.

This is ALL the more reason for 100% REPEAL of this Monstrosity, they call the ACA.
TORT Reform and 50 state access for ALL insurance.

Best of luck.

benihanna 07-08-2015 11:31 AM

Hi Laura, i hope u are doing well and living pain free. Im in the middle of an appeal for hybrid coverage here in the states even though i dont really want that. Im wondering how you did this. Were u in the appeals process? Did u talk to them first and try to get a reimbursement agreement before u went over there. Im thinking of trying to convince insurance to pay for me to go over there and save them money.

benihanna 07-08-2015 11:43 AM

Also, was it "blue card world wide" i have bcbs of nc with the blue card world wide coverage.

Cynlite 07-08-2015 12:12 PM

I haven't seen Laura around since she posted on my thread. Take a look at her two posts here: https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f6...tml#post109793

If these don't answer your questions, I suggest you send her a PM.

Wishing you wellness.

Jerry5 08-09-2015 08:36 AM

Document EVERYTHING

...and go straight to them, BCBS will reimburse.

Cheryl0331 08-10-2015 09:29 PM

what she said

I agree with Laura B.

LauraB 08-17-2015 07:20 PM

Sorry guys. I haven't been around too much lately only due to a job change and dealing with my mom's cancer.

I went with the BCBS Worldwide and found myself moving in circles. I eventually contacted local office "Union," and explained the situation. I copied and resent my file - I think the size of it scared them into submission. They took it over and paid.

From my perspective, if I was traveling and had this issue, I would be treated overseas using the "best practice" available. In Germany, they have been performing this surgery, successfully, for over 20+ years. That doesn't seem like "exploratory" or "experimental" procedures. This is what I made clear in my explanation of the diagnosis and treatment. It also was important to show that you have exhausted all forms of "non-invasive" pre-surgical protocol procedures prior to surgery; being your last resort. I included a timeline history of cervical injections, therapies, and diagnostic testing.

Cynlite 08-17-2015 08:14 PM

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's cancer. I wish you both wellness and hope for her full recovery. I know it's difficult because I helped both my parents through their illnesses and end of lives. I'm so sorry you and your family are facing these challenges. Sending prayers.