ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Big File (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Searching for New Bed (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5387)

Laura C 07-24-2005 05:57 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for beds? Planning to purchase and contemplating the Tempur-pedic because of their great return policy.

Jefferson 07-24-2005 06:05 PM

Wow, dying to see everyone's posts on this one Laura. Me and my wife cannot sleep together because of my back troubles, her movements kill my back #1, #2, My BED kills my back! I second the motion, their return policy is a kick. (If we do it, it is a CALIFORNIA KING!)

Laura C 07-24-2005 07:26 PM

Jefferson,

I have to sleep alone as well. I am constantly tossing and turning because I cannot remain in one position for long because of pain. I forgot to add that I have severe stenosis on left side and moderate on the other. Those beds that you can move the head up and down (like those at the hospital) could be good as well for recovery. California King a MUST!!!!

Patrick 07-24-2005 07:44 PM

Yup...did the Temperpedic thing too. A 90 day trial cost me about $150 for a queen. It didn't take that long though to figure out that the bed was not going to relieve any of my night time pain and sleepless nights. With a price tag of about $2200, it just wasn't worth it to me. Nice bed though...

andromeda1111 07-24-2005 07:50 PM

Believe it or not I can only sleep on a full motion waterbed.

Laura

Laura C 07-24-2005 09:55 PM

Interesting - I think that everyone is going to have a different need according to our problems.

Mariaa 07-24-2005 10:59 PM

I had a Serta Perfect Sleeper for 16 years. It carried me thru 2 previous spine surgeries (is a pillowtop). I finally decided I needed a new bed because I kept feeling like I'd wake up feeling "beat up", tired with my back aching so much at night...

Ok, so tested beds and bought a 2005 Simmons Beauty Rest (Bagnell Visco Plush) firm mattress that has a motion preservation feature, meaning when the other person (or animal) gets on the bed, you don't feel it because vibrations are kept to a minimum if felt at all.

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to it being more plush than the other bed, and also to realize that my nighttime back aches are gone. It's still firm underneath the plushness.
I really feel I made the right choice as my neck and all over joints feel wonderful~ besides my back feels good!

The cost was just a tad more than my Serta Perfect Sleeper tho remember I bought that mattress 16 years ago, so I paid $1720 (with tax) for mattress and box springs at Mattress Discounters and the return policy is up to 60 days you can return the mattress and then you can pick any other bed that is of equal or greater cost should this one not work out.

**addendum.. I forgot to add that I can sleep the whole night thru on this bed which is amazing as I was getting up and turning over so much on my older mattress plus had to get up and walk around as my low back hurt so much thru the night..not now!

djscal 07-24-2005 11:15 PM

I have a temper-pedic bed. It is a great bed and the most comfortable I've ever slept on, but it still doesn't allow me to sleep through the night comfortably. I don't think ANY bed out there would though. Either way, I'd recommend it.

Dan

spotty14 07-25-2005 12:29 AM

I'm sleeping on a futon that has a double foam core and it's fairly comfotable but I am considering a Tempurpedic although I'm wondering if the foam directly against the body will be too hot during the summer months.

Dale S 07-25-2005 01:01 AM

I too have a tempurpedic (check google for discounts)after a full motion water bed. I have never found anything as comfortable as the water bed... never... but it just became too difficult for my back. The tempurpedic is a distant second but is more comfortable than spring mattresses, doesn't disturb my husband, and is completely supportive. Personally, I found the 10" too soft and the 13" a waste of money. If memory serves, we bought the 8", CA king, for $1600... but regardless, everyone's comfort zone is different.

My brother bought a good visco elastic (tempur foam) topper and loves it. Again, check the internet and don't pay retail.
Dale

Cat-mt 07-25-2005 03:49 AM

Well time to add my two cents! I was sleeping on a regular innerspring mattress, and when I got up in the morning I just couldn't move. So for 6 months I slept on the futon in the living room, which was better than the bed, but still not the solution to the problem! In October last year we bought a sleep number bed you know it�s filled with air. We got a king size it was expensive but worth every penny!! The best thing about it is we each get to set our side of the bed to our comfort level, some nights I need a softer bed so I just push a button and let some air out and some nights I need a firmer bed and all I do is push a button and the bed will get as firm as I want. Another great thing is that there is a divider that splits the bed in 2 he has his side and I have mine and I don't feel him roll over or get out of bed, and he doesn't feel me moving, twitching, or when I have muscle spasms. I did find out in searching for the best price that QVC (the shopping network) had the cheapest price and they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. Buying this bed was the smartest thing that I have bought when it comes to my back. If you have any questions just PM me. Cathy

David 07-25-2005 07:44 AM

what a coincidence. I am in the process of looking for a new mattress as well.

Seriously thinking about a tempurpedic, but I am still in the process of trying to find someplace nearby where I can test one out first before buying...

David

Dale S 07-25-2005 02:02 PM

David,
If you live near a Brookstone or Relax the Back store... they both have them on the floor.

Prior to buying the bed, we tried the visco elastic pillows with a similar density to the bed to see if it was too soft, or hard, or warm, etc. We'll never go back to anything else and couldn't wait to buy the bed.

Dale

David 07-25-2005 02:20 PM

Actually, excellent points.

I found a Relax the Back store on the other side of town (Columbus, OH), and a Brookstone near where I work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

David

David 08-16-2005 11:29 AM

If anyone is still following this thread, I have had my tempurpedic celebrity mattress for just shy of two weeks now.

Probably a bit early to tell, but so far I am really happy with it.

I will give you that it does have a bit of a strange odor (which I had heard about beforehand), but it isn't really bad or overpowering.

David

Mariaa 08-16-2005 12:02 PM

David,
Glad to hear you're happy w/your new bed. Where did you end up purchasing it from?
I had thought about returning my mattress as I thought it may be a bit too soft on the top (tho firm below) however, it seems that much of the back pain I used to feel at night is gone and I have to attribute it to the new mattress, so I've decided most definately to keep it!
Happy Snoozing~ Maria

Mariaa 08-16-2005 12:06 PM

David,
Glad to hear you're happy w/your new bed. Where did you end up purchasing it from?
I had thought about returning my mattress as I thought it may be a bit too soft on the top (tho firm below) however, it seems that much of the back pain I used to feel at night is gone and I have to attribute it to the new mattress, so I've decided most definately to keep it!
Happy Snoozing~ Maria

David 08-16-2005 01:06 PM

I went ahead and bought it directly from tempurpedic (queen celebrity mattress: ~$3,000.00, base: ~$300.00, delivery: $150.00)

It looks like the price of the mattress is the same no matter from whom you buy, and delivery charge was basically the same as well.

I figured I might as well deal directly with tempurpedic on the off chance that I didn't like it....

David

David 09-01-2005 11:30 AM

As a one-month follow-up, I can say that I definitely would recommend tempurpedic (expensive yes, but worth the price).

I have found that I can (generally) only fall asleep on my left hand side, but at least it only takes me about 20 minutes to fall asleep, versus the 2+ hours that it would sometime take with my previous mattress.

Plus, my back hurts significantly less first thing in the morning, which is a definite plus.

David

djscal 09-01-2005 09:59 PM

Just a note to save some folks some money. If you have a prescription, The Relax the Back store will give you 10% off of any product that your prescription states. I'm not sure if its a nationwide policy, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dan

Laura C 09-05-2005 07:22 PM

Well, I think that I am going to purchase the Tempurpedic especially since you can return it. If it is not right, then I will search for another one. I was looking at the "number" bed and on some of them you can raise the head - which will be great for after surgery - actually I think the Tempurpedic has a feature like that.

David 09-06-2005 07:43 AM

In my opinion, you will be very happy with tempurpedic.

Are you thinking about getting the celebrity model? If so, let me know.

With the celebrity model, the sheets tend to get (mostly) pulled up during the night. If you know to ask, tempurpedic will send you (free) an extra fitted sheet that will take care of it.

David

APS 09-06-2005 12:55 PM

My husband and I just ordered the sleep number bed. Anyone else have one? Will let you know what we think if interested.

Andrea

Cat-mt 09-06-2005 03:30 PM

Andrea, I bought my sleep number bed in Nov. of last year. It was worth every penny spent. The best thing is some nights I need it firmer and then other nights need it softer, and with the push of a button I can put it where I need it. Another thing is having a his and her side of the bed. I sleep so much better on this bed. I really miss it when i'm gone. If you have any questions please let me know. Cathy

09-07-2005 11:38 AM

Does anyone know the cost of the sleep number off hand? We have been considering a regular mattress with pillow top or a feather bed top but after seeing these posts, we are possibly willing to spend the extra $ to accomplish the difference of the good nights rest with me with the spinal issues and her worrying about them. That seems to be the biggest issue is me getting to sleep at least 4-6 hours in pain vs. her so worried that she will hurt me....any other advice that this very long and helpful thread hasn't offered already is great!

I did lay down for a good period on my friends pillow top mattres and it seemed to not move is why I questioned here. Thx

David 09-07-2005 11:48 AM

Sleep # bed website

I did a quick check, and it looks like a queen 5000 model would be around $1,700.00, give or take...

If possible, go to a tempurpedic store and a comfort select store and lay on both of the beds for awhile. Then, you can properly compare them to a traditional type mattress.

I am (obviously) biased towards tempurpedic, but I have been really happy with it over the last month, and I still have 1-2 more months to send it back if I so decide to.

David

Juli 09-07-2005 01:45 PM

We have had our sleep # bed for about 18 months now. We really liked it for the first year or so but over the last few months it seems the middle "baffle" or whatever has degraded and now
the seperate mattresses are no longer really separate. They kind of spill over onto the other person's side and don't have the same support. If my partner is in the bed I am fine. If not, I have to increase the other side of the bed significantly to keep my side from flowing over and being less supportive. I may contact the store to see if they have any suggestions. It is quite annoying.

09-07-2005 02:50 PM

Thanks for added measures.....And as we all search for any and ALL beds....does it matter where one would attempt purchasing atempurpedic mattress? We see so many people selling them now: And David I read you bought one direct, was it because you felt better supported? We also see so many choices it heigts and what not, it looks like we will have to go sleep in a store overnight!

David 09-07-2005 03:00 PM

For Tempurpedic, it looks like no matter what store you go to, the price of the mattress itself is pretty much the same.

I went to a Brookstone store and then a Relax the Back store in my area to try them out.

The Relax the Back store was exactly the same price as tempurpedic directly.

The Brookstone stone was exactly the same price as Tempurpedic directly. At the time, I think they would give you a $300.00 coupon for other Tempurpedic accessories as well (not to be used on the mattress purchase).

No matter what, I was dealing with:

+ Price of mattress (same)
+ Price of base (same)
+ Delivery (pretty much same ~$150.00)

I am relatively certain that you could return a Tempurpedic back to the point of purchase within the 3 (?) month return window. I just decided that I would rather deal with Tempurpedic instead (I actually have another reason as well. I would be happy to tell you, if you want, via email or PM).

Ultimately, I felt that the only way to really test the mattress was at home in familiar surroundings. With Tempurpedic return policy, it seemed like a safe bet [obvious bias http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common.../icon_wink.gif ]

Just to be clear, no, I don't work for Tempurpedic http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common.../icon_wink.gif

Another thing that I would like to note is that right now, I have the Tempurpedic "full height base" (about 9.5 inches deep). In retrospect, I think that I should have gotten the "low height base" (about 4 inches deep, otherwise, no difference). I have already discussed it with Tempurpedic directly, and they said that they would be happy to exchange the full height base for the low height base at no additional cost to me.

The only thing that they asked was for me to wait to make sure that I was going to keep the mattress itself before calling to exchange, because they would prefer not to have to make two more delivery runs with their truck.

David

Dale S 09-07-2005 06:29 PM

I'd like to add that shopping the internet can pay off. Though rarely discounted, I purchased my Tempurpedic bed, with all return rights etc. through a website at quite a discount. They carry all 3 beds, with or without a box spring. Please pm or email me for the website... or happy shopping.
Dale

09-07-2005 08:29 PM

Hey thanks guys: What is the benefit if any of buying a mattress 'topper' that is 3 or 4" for an already expensive $1500- $1700 dollar bed gone wrong that is only 2 years old? Is it workable or do they just not feel the same? Any experience anyone? Thank you SO much. BB

Cat-mt 09-09-2005 05:37 AM

When I was looking for a sleep number bed I looked every where online and at my local stores. The best deal that I found on QVC. I bought a King Royal Pillowtop Bed w/ Memory Foam by Select for a total of $2,143.00 which was cheaper than any where else that I looked. I did have to wait for about a month to get it, because they were on back order. But it was worth the wait. I finally get a good nights sleep! If you have any questions just ask. Cathy

Juli 09-09-2005 02:56 PM

Well, good news from my previous post. I contacted select comfort regarding what seemed to be the breakdown of the "baffle" dividing the two mattresses. They said they will ship me a new one, free of charge, and I should have it within a few days. I thought that was pretty good considering it is getting close to 2 years since I purchased it.

luvmysibe 09-09-2005 06:22 PM

Here's an idea for those who already have a nice mattress or can't afford a new one. Purchase 2 twin size memory foam or egg crate foam mattress toppers from Target or a similar retailer. Place one on top of the other on top of your mattress. Rotate them weekly. They should last for about 4 months and only cost about $8 each.

I did this at the recommendation of my massage therapist prior to my surgery. I was able to sleep through the night without my husband's tossing and turning awaking me. I used these immediately after my sugery and was much more comfortable than on the hospital bed provided for me in my home.

If you are unsure of what to purchase or need a quick fix give this a try.

Alastair 09-10-2005 12:44 PM

Do use the "Search mode" on this one please, we have had some "Amazing " conversations on this subject

Sweet dreams folks
Best
Alastair http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common...icon_smile.gif

hucky 09-22-2005 05:41 AM

Has anyone here got a latex mattress. I'm very tempted to get one, from what I've been told they are the best for your back and they are naturally antibacterial, not hot not cold
etc. They are expensive here in Oz, but last up to 40 years and are guaranteed for 10. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hucky

Alastair 09-22-2005 06:28 AM

Hucky please use the "Search mode" there are amazing conversations about beds and mattresses
Best

hucky 09-22-2005 05:40 PM

Alistair,
I had already used the search mode and come up with zero on LATEX mattresses. The Tempurpedic is I believe, different - its a memory foam mattress (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm after information specifically for latex.
Thanks
Hucky

09-22-2005 08:30 PM

Alistair, I was not going to say myself either..But when doing a search (I must be doing something wrong) but came up with zilch on the amazing subject as well. I kept getting back to this thread OR to everyone's stay in a hospital bed and what their pain levels were etc. Thanks for your help, still shopping, BB

Alastair 09-23-2005 06:07 AM

Hello folks,
well I stand here in abject apologies because I've just looked using the search facility and I can't find anything at all which is totally amazing. http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common...icon_frown.gif http://adrsupport.org/groupee_common...icon_frown.gif

I wonder if we lost quite a lot of postings when we had crash with the board earlier on in the year.

I have got to believe there are plenty of people that have been changes of their mattresses and beds prior and following ADR -- -- -- so come on folks lets build up the postings on this subject again
Cheers,