ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Naturopathic Corner (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Earthing? (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11360)

Harrison 10-20-2011 11:44 AM

Earthing?

OK, this is a little out there for some people -- but I am intrigued with the results, science and related studies. Check out this book, and the comments:

Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthing-Most-.../ref=pd_sim_b5

Is it whacky? Dunno. Does it work? That's what I care about!

MeggieLynn 10-20-2011 12:23 PM

This has been on my list of things to try - especially now since it will be a long time before I could be considered a surgical candidate, if ever. I don't think it's wacky. I haven't taken all the time yet to read all the literature but to me it makes sense, getting your body in alignment with the magnetic pull of the earth. I don't think just getting the wrist bands would do much. I would think the matts and sheets would have more of an effect - along with spending some time outside barefoot & rotating your bed around so your head is oriented to the north when you sleep. Sounds bizarre but I once read some older, more ancient cultures believed this was the best way one should sleep for your health. Can't remember where I read that.

annapurna 10-22-2011 08:54 PM

I hate to be the person who talks about quack cures and attacks the new thing on the block, but earthing doesn't sound very solid simply from a basic electrical standpoint. The main reason why ground rods are so long is that the ground isn't a really good conductor. It isn't an insulator either but it isn't anywhere near as conductive as a metal. If the basic science that is being used on the earthing websites to explain this phenomena was correct, everyone should be getting sufficient earthing every time they touch a grounded metal appliance or ride in a car (tires are slightly conductive, that's why you get shocks when you touch a car).

I don't deny that they are showing benefits but I've got to wonder if there's a second order cause that's being invoked by their treatments but not directly caused by them.

Harrison 10-23-2011 11:19 AM

This is why I enjoy studying new “unproven” ideas that may be beneficial to people, especially if they appear to be “unscientific.” So I set out to experiment for myself – it wasn’t too hard.

Many years ago, preparing for surgery, I took some tai chi while studying qigong. I focused mainly on a few simple moves and breathing. I recall finding a special spot in the back yard in 2003, at the base of a hill, which had two almost perfect indentations for my feet. Last Thursday, I slipped my bare feet into those two spots that have been waiting for me for eight years – it felt like putting on an old, comfortable pair of moccasins. For thirty minutes, I focused on deep breathing, simple movements and stretching. I’ve been practicing daily since.

So far, I’ve noticed that my upper legs (quads) are sore but feel much stronger. Strangely, my dreams are vivid and creative, like movies. I was already sleeping well, but perhaps more deeply now as evidenced by my “feature length films!”

Through the years, I’ve learned a bit about energy sciences and I continue to be intrigued with how much has been learned and published on the study of humans as energetic beings. I am not talking ethereal, hocus-pocus stuff – I mean the rigorous studying of how we have electricity running through all parts of our body, especially our organs and nervous system. Perhaps ironically for us patients, the spine and spinal cord are the main conduit for this energy.

I look forward to learning more about this field. In the meantime, who knows where my dreams will take me?

:sleeping:

annapurna 10-23-2011 11:52 AM

I am also intrigued by the recent, relatively, additions to the medical arsenal of techniques that deal with the flow of electrical energy in the body. We've been using PEMF for a year now and do see some improvements from it. I also don't wish to attack the idea of earthing, just the science they quote on the earthing website to explain it. The science is weak or misleading, the effects they quote and others see is interesting. That's why I wondered if the effects are being caused by some other, related cause.

MeggieLynn 10-23-2011 04:26 PM

I would not be considering any of this, had I not had the experience that I had prior to being diagnosed to fibro. Fifteen years ago I had a knee MRI, was fine during it, but within 1.5 hours of having it, experienced very severe pain in my thigh, hip, lower abd, buttox muscles with loads and loads of muscle fasiculations. It went on for 3 weeks - after which all my muscles were just weak, sore, and easily fatigued - hence the fibro Dx. Took me a year to recouperate. I never told any MD's that I thought the MRI caused my fibro. I'm pretty sure they would have thought me crazy. Sure it could have coincidence & sure I could have been more prone to developing fibro w/my insomnia issues, but my sleep was fairly stable at this time (for a couple of years) while on meds. Maybe some people are more sensitive to these EMF fields.

Consider these things I found:

Earth's field NMR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia General info on the earth's geomagnetic field

http://www.greenfacts.org/en.static-fields/index.htm Click on more of the higher levels for more info

http://trusted.md/blog/anji/2008/02/...#axzz1bchyAzss 300 posts over 3 years --Some definitely can be attributed to claustrophobia, effects of contrast dye, overactive imaginations, whatever, but some read true, one written by an electrical engineer & 1 or 2 by doctors

Really don't know if the grounding will help or not, cause as you say the science behind it is not all that solid. Probably can't hurt to try - would only cost a couple of hundred bucks. BTW, I do seem to have less pain when out on the road.

annapurna 10-23-2011 05:14 PM

The whole basis for PEMF relies upon the idea that the Earth's magnetic field has an effect on us. That's pretty well accepted by much of the medical community we deal with. I would draw a distinction between the Earth's magnetic field and grounding. Simply because one is attached to an earth ground doesn't make one more or less susceptible to the magnetic field. Furthermore, finding an acceptable ground is much easier than you'd think. That's why I dispute the science quoted for earthing and really think they're picking up on some other effect. I should also add that the only reason I'm arguing for this is that I'd hate to see someone spend a bunch of money on conductive bedding if the effect they're picking up on could be produced by something far easier and more available.

MeggieLynn 10-23-2011 08:31 PM

Jim and Laura,

So I checked out the PEMF therapy a little bit - What's intriguing to me is that it might help bone to grow (at least that was what this one site claimed). The model's started at $3,000.00 dollars. Probably couldn't swing that this year. I'm getting an xtra city assessment bill this year - they dug up all the streets this summer in my neighborhood and put in all new sewer and water mains. At least all the lead pipe water connections are now finally gone. I'll have to see if there's anything cheaper out there.

Are the matts just placed under your sheets? Are they comfortable? I'm from the original Princess and the Pea story so I don't know if I'd be able to tolerate anything very hard. Wonder if intermittent use would have any positive effect.

ML

annapurna 10-24-2011 08:06 AM

We got a deal and bought a used BEMER from our doc. They are pricey new. The mat isn't very hard but it isn't something you need to be on for multiple hours. I'm fighting osteopenia and use it, at most, twice a day for 20 minutes per day. We also got a point "applicator" and Laura uses that sitting at the computer. If you had a spare bed or an unused section of floor, you could put the mat on that and use it when you need it. I actually built a IR sauna for us and the BEMER mat lives in that under a blanket to cut down on the heat it sees.

annapurna 10-24-2011 09:36 AM

One thought I had a while after the first post: You might wish to try a treatment on a PEMF first. There's a world of difference between the intense magnetic field of a MRI and the field of a PEMF mat but I'd hate to lead you to spend a bucket of money on something that didn't help or even made you feel worse.