ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   ADR Frequently Asked Questions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How much does artificial disc replacement cost? (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5167)

Cheryl0331 10-07-2015 09:17 PM

a word of caution

Don't pick your doctor based on price. Two Germany surgeons gave me way lower costs than did Clavel, but I went with Dr. Clavel because his assessment was the most accurate and complete.
I would have most likely needed another surgery within a year or so if I had gone another direction.
Remember Dr. Clavel is in high demand for a reason. He and his staff, his hospital are worth the wait. While right now is a busy with others someday that will be you he is busy for while someone else waits in turn behind you. When you're in a doctors office you want them to spend time with you but yet you get impatient while waiting to be called back. If I needed any other spine surgery; I would not hesitate to go back to Dr. Clavel. Do you homework and make an informed choice. Be well and God bless.

cfbugsbunny 12-25-2015 11:49 PM

Dr. Clavel was anywhere between 30-40K depending on exchange rate and what's being done. I unfortunately needed surgery when rate was high. Now it is significantly cheaper. This rate includes the PT, hotel stay before and after and any testing / followup visits during your stay. The only extra I needed to cover was my plane flight and meals and misc expenses. I personally thought this to be extremely cheap.

Cheryl0331 04-21-2016 05:00 PM

Last May 2015

I paid $32K USD for my two level M6-C - my guess it at least $27K for one level.

Harrison 07-11-2016 09:49 PM

US Pricing -- Benchmark from Texas Back

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

It's been years since I've collected, analyzed and lamented about pricing for spinal disc replacement. Here's "stage 1" of this rather perfunctory project. It's a document I put together just now.

Some good news for BCBS subscribers in five states -- 2 level cervical ADR is covered. Lumbar is still almost twice the cost of cervical -- no changes there. Which is nutty.

See PDF attached.

Cynlite 07-11-2016 10:24 PM

Great info Harrison and thanks for gathering that data for everyone!

TBI still leads the charge in the U.S. as expected. They have some of the best surgeons with the most experience in the U.S. and best prices IMO for ADR. The three level cost for cervical is pretty comparable to Europe. The difference with Dr. Clavel is that he includes physical therapy plus, two nights in a first class hospital, one week hotel is covered, plus one year health insurance on the surgery. My care was more concierge and I was watched for three weeks. The insurance is specific to the surgery not new disc levels and requires one to go back to Spain at their own cost to the same surgeon who did the surgery if there is a complication. So, it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison but, they are pretty darn close. If a person's insurance covers them in the U.S. then the surgery would certainly be less expensive. I think a three level Mobi-C in the U.S. would be less than a 3 level M6-C in the end in Spain without all the other things I mentioned at TBI. All the other surgeons and hospitals in the U.S. are all over the place on what they charge. Then the question comes down to the disc. There are lots of opinions out there about what is the best disc. I've learned my lesson to stay out of that debate here.

The last piece of the puzzle is does a person leave their state or country to get surgery? IMO, the surgeon makes all the difference to the outcome. If you leave your state or country, you are somewhat locked into going back to the same surgeon if things don't go well for you but, not always. There are surgeons in many cities that will be happy to remove an ADR and fuse. That would not be my choice but, it is still an option. If staying in the U.S., I still agree that TBI is one of the best options with the best probability of a good outcome. It's not as big a deal to travel back to them if there are complications. The odds of complications are less with them too IMO compared to other U.S. surgeons. My opinions are all subjective of course. Also, can they do a three level ADR in one surgery in the U.S.? I thought we were limited to a two level Mobi-C for cervical.

There is one surgeon in New York that has caught my attention for cervical patients but, I'll wait until I have more info. to share on him.

bigsky 07-12-2016 12:40 AM

I am a 3-level cervical ADR candidate, as evaluated by US and overseas surgeons. Was told only one level ADR could be done at TBI, and 2 levels fused. Glad to hear 2 levels now approved. I, too, am interested to know if anyone does (or is allowed to do) 3 level ADR. I would appreciate hearing from other 3-level post-op patients with a private message. Thanks so much!

Cynlite 07-12-2016 11:01 AM

I just checked the manufacturer's website and the FDA publication for the Mobi-C. Both still say it's approved for a two level ADR. Not sure how TBI is doing a three level cervical ADR in the United States.

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Pr.../ucm367809.htm

http://www.cervicaldisc.com/

BigSky, I stopped private messaging because there were just too many messages and it got too much for me trying to keep up with all of them while I'm healing post surgery. There are not many of us three level cervical patients on this Board. Phillyjoe and I are the most recent. The others were quite a few years ago. I've written everything I know in my threads so, hopefully the information there will help you. I got much of my information by contacting the surgeon's offices directly and reading the post surgery forum.

RiverMiles 07-15-2016 09:38 PM

Sooo, Aetna... CPB review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison (Post 114038)
Hey everyone,

It's been years since I've collected, analyzed and lamented about pricing for spinal disc replacement. Here's "stage 1" of this rather perfunctory project. It's a document I put together just now.

Some good news for BCBS subscribers in five states -- 2 level cervical ADR is covered. Lumbar is still almost twice the cost of cervical -- no changes there. Which is nutty.

See PDF attached.

Hey Harrison - Great info.
Do you know if the information on the attachment takes into account Aetna's scheduled policy review for intervertebral disc prostheses? http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/500_599/0591.html

It was scheduled for July 8 but policy reviews have between running behind this year. I was told that the review has not been completed yet and the website shows no update as of yet. But, the attachment says, "as of July," and it's TBI so they may well have intel of a policy change, or a policy not changed, before it has been announced.
Thanks again for this pricing and coverage info.