ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Advice for a discogram (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11415)

Dingie 11-22-2011 10:44 PM

Advice for a discogram

Hi, I am finally scheduling my discogram as I am closing in on a surgery plan. I am probably going to go with Dr. clavel in Barcelona. I am hoping it is just L4-L5 but all my lumbar discs are dessicated. I have never had one and although am accustomed to pain as we all are I am a bit apprehensive. I am told they will probably start at L1 and go to S1. I know they are painful but is it hard to tell the pain from the test versus the discogenic pain? I am afraid to get a false positive.

I appreciate any advice, my MD just told me to try and concentrate through the pain?

laid up doc 11-22-2011 11:46 PM

i just had 2 levels done (twice!) - only 1 was the culprit - and the "control" just felt strange, no pain AT ALL. that's how it's supposed to be... some people though, have discordant pain. that's why a control is done - to see if there is no reaction to a "normal" disc.

as i said, i've had two discograms - the induced pain was unmistakable and very, very uncomfortable. anesthesia should shoot you up w/ fentanyl in the IV when it's all done and usually the doc doing the discogram puts lidocaine and antibiotics in the disc when they're done.

sorry you have to have so many levels done.... hoping just 1 is bad so that there isn't too much suffering!

Jstuckey 11-23-2011 09:54 AM

I had three levels done. The negative level was not the same (more pressure than pain?) and they are very clear in how to answer. They also watch your facial expressions, test you when there shouldn't be pain, etc. Just answer honestly. How uncomfortable it is depends on the person and the situation in your spine. I didn't think it was worse than childbirth, and it's a very short time frame comparitively. (Sorry - natural childbirth will forever be my judge of pain. Don't know if you've experienced this!)
You've probably already had enough severe pain in your spine at times that it won't overwhelm you. I actually had some pretty severe pain at home that night after the discogram, but they should send you home with pain meds. It was gone the next day and I went to work. The CT scan they did after the discogram (while there was still dye in my discs) was very descriptive and helpful for treatment recommendations.
Word of warning.... at least in my situation... the discogram was $9000 which was shocking for an outpatient diagnostic test. I have good insurance that paid 90% - I still had a $900 unexpected bill to pay. You might want a head's up on the cost.

Cirobi 11-23-2011 12:02 PM

I actually had 4 levels done in my discogram and they thought I might have had 2 troublesome levels. On the non-pain generating levels, especially the top 2 which they checked just to be on the safe side, I felt next to nothing at all. On L4/L5 which was a possible problem, I only felt some pressure. On the actual problem level, there was distinct pain combined with pressure. It's hard to remember back that far, but what I do remember is that it was definitely noticeable compared to other levels tested.

I've read on here that some people are in pain for a couple days afterward. I didn't have a ton of issues post-discogram. They did give me pain medication which I took for a day, but the post-discogram pain I had wasn't much different from a normal flare up. I could be remembering incorrectly. You'll know though which level is a pain generator.

truck54 11-23-2011 05:33 PM

2 levels done

It was fast and easy.. I felt nothing on the good disc and pain that made me yell at them for about 5 seconds.. Then I was back to sleep.. Easy money!!

Harrison 11-24-2011 09:59 AM

Please see the FAQ forum too -- there's a meaty one on this topic.... ;)

Dingie 11-28-2011 08:09 PM

Thanks to al. For the kind words of advice. I am schecduled for my discogram this Thursday at noon. Not looking forward to it, but hopefully will solidify my diagnosis. I will do my best to take everyone's advice and try not to frighten the neighbors:jump:

Dingie 12-01-2011 10:19 PM

Survived discogram!

Thanks to all, I survived the dreaded discogram. Had 4 levels done. Wouldn't want one again but not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. Seems the culprit is L3-L4 single level. Still leaning to Dr. Clavel. Any advice always predicated. Thanks again for the support:wiggle: