ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   New with 2 or 3 level Cervical herniations ETC. (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13499)

Runner16 09-01-2016 08:44 PM

New with 2 or 3 level Cervical herniations ETC.

Hello all.

Glad to find this place but wish I wasn't here...

Perfectly healthy, very active, never sick, never had a surgery... 48yo who felt like 30, even 20 on a good day. :)

I went for a short run one day and ....nothing happened except I came home with intense pain and a numb arm.

Arm isn't numb anymore at least.

The verdict is C5/6 & C6/7 need surgery and some difference of opinion whether C4/5 is a goner too.

My expensive useless insurance won't cover a thing, Germany is cheaper....and currently my situation is low pain as long as I do nothing.

I went from 48 to 90 overnight and I am heartbroken.

Runner16

Runner16 09-02-2016 12:20 PM

Cervical ADR's & return to running etc.

Hello all,

I am new and looking at 2 or 3 level cervical ADR's.

I am very active and my goal would be to return to my activites. Running, backpacking, climbing, cycling....

Is this unrealistic? Has anyone been similarly successful?

I have had 5 surgical consults, 4 say "yes" and 1 says "my odometer has run out" and I will never return to any of it (he also advocated partial or full fusion). One doc was a runner and seemed trustworthy but NONE of them have been able to "name" a patient who has gone back to similar sports.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Best, Runner

Kirisuchina 09-03-2016 03:13 AM

Went for it and survived :-)

After my C5/6 + 6/7 M6 ADR I resumed exercising within a few weeks--treadmill, elliptical (AKA cross trainer) and some fairly strenuous hiking. After about three months I went back to both yoga and Zumba--and I might have done that sooner but we were travelling during that time. That was three years ago and I'm still doing all those things without any problem, except that I'm now 64 and my knees are wearing out!

No doubt people have varied experience but for me the new discs were a miracle cure--the surgeon popped them in and I was good to go after a very brief recovery period.

Best wishes to you.

Harrison 09-03-2016 11:37 AM

Hi Runner, I merged this with the one you started in Arthroplasty Central. :look:

Yes, most patients return to sports after ADR. The smart thing to do is to bump it down a notch -- and start slowly many months after surgery.

Stonewall_Boris 09-03-2016 12:18 PM

Hi, Stone here,

Cervical ADR patients vs. Lumbar ADR patients seem to recover faster and to better states from what Ive read here. When you go through the posts and you look at recovery be certain you check out whether it was cervical or lumbar. As always there's exceptions, recoveries, revisions. Age, health, duration of disc impediment also seem to play a part in recovery IMO.

Runner16 09-03-2016 02:18 PM

What do you think of surgeons comments?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirisuchina (Post 114453)
--the surgeon popped them in and I was good to go

:laugh::laugh: I look forward to the day I can refer to terrifying surgery like this! Its a good thing though, thanks for that.

Truth is at least for now I can manage discomfort wise but I just can't imagine this as my "new normal".

I have been told the following by spine surgeons, what do you think of this advice?

- Cervical surgery is best done sooner than later. Best within 6 months, for sure within 2 yrs and if wait 5 yrs may not be eligible for ADR's. Best results are for patients with more arm pain than neck pain. Neck pain usually doesnt improve, have surgery before nerve damage. Surgery for me is inevitable.

- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc.

I am puzzled by the contrast in opinions.:confused::confused:

Best, Runner

Stonewall_Boris 09-03-2016 03:37 PM

"- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc."

Canadian doctor? Because that what I was told, repeatedly!

Fathub 09-03-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris (Post 114461)
"- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc."

Canadian doctor? Because that what I was told, repeatedly!

Stonie....that was what the orthopod just told me last week re: my right lateral knee with no cartilage...."it's only 70% worn out...forget about the PRPs whatever, stem cells, prolozone whatever, uni-compartmental knee operation either as it's only gonna have to completely ripped out to a full knee change....just put up with the pain and get some opioids and wait 'till it's 100% !@#%ed up and then I'll give you a new knee". I replied that I heard that one couldn't/shouldn't mtn bike with a 'full knee' replacement. He said, "that's correct but your at the age (60 last week) that you shouldn't be doing all the sh!t anymore anyway....time to RESIGN yourself to the fact you SHOULDN'T be doing that, Doug". So I went to a researched NP doctor last week for a Prolozone injection and just got back after a weekend of mtn biking in Golden and 1/2 hour ago from Cobble Hill......and no pain and Annapurna from this site took some great time to relay her and her husband's experience with Prolozone......Do you research folks and TRUST yourself......your the greatest and really, the only advocate for your health and Phuk the Cdn Medical System.....

Stonewall_Boris 09-03-2016 06:32 PM

Hey, Stone here again, don't mean to hijack your thread Runner16,

Fathub,

Great news to hear from you. (Great that the news was great that is)

In the last few months my GP suddenly retired. He was still using paper files and refused to computerize. Which, as a computer person for over 35 years I appreciated that hackers couldn't get my files. (yes, I know the term air gapped for medical systems, came up with that solution years ago for critical XP systems)
Anyway, in my search for a new GP I've temporarily ended up with a 80 yo GP to renew meds and stuff. Seems that the new medical system in Canada is to have a walk in clinic doctor that will process you in 10 minutes. Their ability to assess "alternative" solutions is very limited (but it is free, until you have to pay out of pocket for alternative care!!!)

GirlCaptain 09-04-2016 01:41 AM

8.5 years post injury and getting ADR finally!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner16 (Post 114457)
:laugh::laugh: I look forward to the day I can refer to terrifying surgery like this! Its a good thing though, thanks for that.

Truth is at least for now I can manage discomfort wise but I just can't imagine this as my "new normal".

I have been told the following by spine surgeons, what do you think of this advice?

- Cervical surgery is best done sooner than later. Best within 6 months, for sure within 2 yrs and if wait 5 yrs may not be eligible for ADR's. Best results are for patients with more arm pain than neck pain. Neck pain usually doesnt improve, have surgery before nerve damage. Surgery for me is inevitable.

- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc.

I am puzzled by the contrast in opinions.:confused::confused:

Best, Runner

Hi Runner,
Although I've not had my ADR surgery yet, I'm looking forward to returning to horseback riding (jumping) and competitive trap shooting after mine. My Doctor gave me a wait time of 6 months as an estimate, due to the nature of shooting and risk of injury from a fall from a horse, but he feels I'll be able to go back to both. As for the injury stabilizing, my discs were herniated when I was run over my a car in 2008. 8 1/2 years later, I'm finally getting definitive treatment. my discs have gotten progressively worse, as documented by MRI, but I still have some disc height left. This, and my determination to remain active, make me a good candidate for surgery. Don't get bogged down in artificial time lines- your symptoms and MRI will tell the story.

A thought on insurance appeals, in case you're headed that direction. Try the National Guidelines Clearinghouse website for treatment guidelines for the cervical spine. Many of these now include ADR as an option for patients who have failed conservative treatment.

Best of Luck!
GC