ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   The Naturopathic Corner (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   In Honor of Animals - Love and Healing (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11260)

Harrison 08-21-2011 03:27 PM

In Honor of Animals - Love and Healing

1 Attachment(s)
My furry friend Harrison left us a few weeks ago. He’s the best little friend I ever had. He was with me before after and my spine surgery, and was with me through the long (and far worse) illness that nearly killed me (systemic bacterial infection).

I never had to euthanize an animal I loved so completely, so saying goodbye was grueling for me. My wife’s support and relationship with our eighteen-year-old tabby made it much easier to bear. For those of you that have suffered with illness while your pets were there for you, I am sure you can relate.

I searched out books to help me through the grieving process and really liked When Your Pet Dies, A Guide to Mourning, Remembering and Healing. It helped me a lot. I’ll read it again soon.

There were a few things that happened in the last few weeks of his life that helped me look at animals in a whole new light, literally. These days, though I am still grieving, I marvel at all the ways animals can help us heal through love and energy (see attached).

Thank you Harrison, for your love and light! :angel:

JEVE19 08-21-2011 10:16 PM

Rich,

Losing your pet is the only bad part of pet ownership.
It hurts like you have lost a piece of your heart.
The true definition of unconditional love is a beloved pet.

Last year my mother was in hospice.
She could no longer speak or move.
I brought her Ragdoll cat up to see her who at the time
was only 7 months old. It was like the cat knew, she laid next
to my mother's side and never moved.
I whispered in my mother's ear that Lily was next her.
My mother struggled, but got her hand to pet the cats head just one
last time. It was the last time my mother moved.
My mom passed in September.

Lily now lives with me (and my other 3 cats).
Sometimes at night, I will cry because I miss my mother.
Lily will come and put her paw on my cheek.
I swear she knows and it always makes me feel like somehow
through that cat, my mother is touching my cheek.

I have tears just typing this.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I 100% understand the pain of losing such a great love.
XO

Harrison 08-23-2011 05:20 PM

Vicki, well said, and thanks for that. God's creatures are really quite amazing. I really am in awe of the "knowing" aspect of animals, especially cats. But I have friends that say the same things about their dogs, horses and birds...

Glad you have Lily and the the trio! :look:

laid up doc 08-23-2011 06:28 PM

had a cat most of my childhood, whom my mom had to have put down at the age of 19. she was quite a gal.. i still miss her :(

am terribly allergic to cats, keep needing to move, and having so many back issues... so i haven't gotten one of my own yet. my first pet will definitely be a cat, though.... i'm definitely a cat person!!!

so so sorry to hear.

Maddie 08-23-2011 06:40 PM

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I've got a houseful of critters, but there are always the very special ones as you describe.

Not only do they help us through grief, but they can grieve themselves for their own loss. My grandparents had two Standard Poodles, brothers, and when one died of cancer, the other stopped eating and drinking and sadly, they had to put him to sleep also. It was a huge blow.

My friend had two horses, two mares who were very close. When one contracted a terrible disease, her barn mate wouldn't leave her side. When her time came, an act of kindness by the vet, the other mare kept jumping the fence and standing on the horse's grave. They finally left the gate open and after a week, she started eating again and seemed to get back to normal. If I hadn't watched her, I wouldn't have believed it could happen.

JEVE19 08-23-2011 06:53 PM

Usually it's the cats dander you're allergic to.
My daughter is allergic and some breeds are more allergy friendly because they don't shed cat danders.
She has a Bengal which has more of a pelt like a real Bengal.
A Siberian is also supposed to be great for allergies/asthma because they are missing an enzyme in their saliva that most cats have and that can be the cause of the allergy.

Would never be without a furry friend.
They always love you or make you laugh at the best moments.

When my back hurts, I soak in a bubble bath.
All three cats have to come in and sit on the edge of tub.
I poke my toes through the bubbles and then slowly disappear.
The cats are all mesmerized. The Bengal will actually stick her paw in the water up to her shoulder, trying to find where my toes went. So, even though I'm in pain, I forget about it when all the cats come and are so entertained by it all!

We put our German Shephard down a few weeks ago.
It's the hardest part of life.
I think a lot of us learned what death meant as a kid loosing your first pet.

Rich, I truly believe when God closes one door, another will open. Somewhere in your future, a great furry love awaits you ;)

laid up doc 08-23-2011 07:35 PM

my parents didn't have a cat for about 1.5 yrs.... moved in the meantime... then stopped at an adoption fair one day. my mom picked up this gray male cat - he put his front paws around her neck like he was giving her a hug, and kissed her cheek.

the rest is history. his name is Howie, and he's a cat-dog sort of guy. i wish i could steal him w/o breaking my mother's heart!

and vicki - i do know that the saliva is most of what ppl are allergic to, and that indoor cats clean themselves less. have to look into the breed thing...

JKDE302 08-24-2011 11:56 AM

R.I.P to your cat, I almost lost my dog last week from a heat stroke caused by a lyme tic. He is still sick.

Harrison 08-24-2011 08:24 PM

So sorry about this news with your dog. I hope he is being properly treated? If you’ve not already seen the videos I did with doctors' Eva Sapi and Carlene Patterson, you may find them interesting while concerning:

Dr. Eva Sapi - Geneticist, Microbiologist (Two Videos Available)

and

Dr. Carlene Patterson, Veterinarian (Excerpt & Video Available)

There are interview excerpts and videos there, so there’s a lot of information. I published this information last year while producing the film, Why Am I Still Sick, which is scheduled to be completed year end.

Doc, Vicki, thanks for your posts…so bittersweet.

So, tying this topic back to the super-duper powers of animals to earthquakes, see this story below. Like I was saying before, it’s “cool” how animals know things we don’t!

Zoo animals go wild ahead of quake - Local News - Washington, DC - Washington D.C. - msnbc.com

Lizard 08-25-2011 12:15 AM

Healing Animals

Harrison, I am sorry for your loss.
I think all living things, especially the animals we live with, are connected to our energy and can sense changes. I know my dog, who is a herding dog and not overly affectionate, preferring to sleep on the floor and play with other dogs, has done a complete about face d/t my situation. When I began to deteriorate with increased pain several months ago, he did not leave my side, would rest his head on my shoulder when I was lying down, and was completely in tune with when I needed him for comfort just hanging out with me on the couch. He was not like this before my increased pain and symptoms started. I have had a tough road with this emotionally, physically, mentally, and financially, etc, like most of us have had on this site, but having his comforting, unconditional show of concern and caring has made it just a little easier to bear. I love my dog!