View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Default I feel for you

My neck MRI "looks" much worse than my Lumbar MRI, even though that is the one that's the big problem.
I believe I get neck stiffness and some muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders due to my cervical herniations though I have spasms that run from my low back all the way up to my shoulder from my low back, so it's tough to tell where one ends and the other begins.
I have spent 2 & 1/2 years not getting answers on the incredibly painful spasms until a consult with one surgeon finally confirmed that they are due partly to my L5S1.
I wouldn't trust any surgeon who pays more attention to your MRI and discounts your disc issues. We are all different and I think some of us have pretty violent muscle "guarding" responses to disc problems.
Are any of the surgeons you have seen Neurosurgeons? That might make a difference. If you haven't already, I'd see a Neurologist too.
Regarding just getting relief from the spasms, I found the only thing that helped me at all were Trigger Point injections that contained some steroid. (The steroid part is important, unfortunately.) I needed three rounds every 2 weeks before it really began helping. This is a limited help because of the hazards of steroids. However, my PM doc told me he used 1/8th the amount of steroid for these injections as used in an epidural which equaled a lot more bang for buck than an epidural that didn't help me. Botox is also a really good palliative, safe measure for both headaches and muscle spasms. I tried a round of Botox recently that failed but my PM doc thinks he simply didn't use enough and I have to wait a few months before we try again.
If you have a good Pain Management doc, I'd speak to him/her about these measures or find a really good PM doc. This might buy you some time while you figure things out.
BTW - I don't get how a fusion will help this and why an ADR wouldn't as well.
Best of luck.
Microdiscectomy at L5S1 at HSS - failed
Lost successful business, went on disability; more "conservative" treatments
At 3 years fed up and deciding upon ADR or Fusion
Scared and uncertain