View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 12:30 AM

From a well respected surgeon's opinion who doesn't have a specific tie to the Activ-L like Zeegers does.....Dr. Clavel stated to me himself he has done a few Activ-L discs for specific cases and confirms it to be a quality lumbar disc. He wasn't going to pick sides even as the majority of his experience lies in the M6. He even admitted the M6 wasn't perfect, since it hasn't yielded a perfect outcome in 100% of his patients. His experience lies in the M6, but would go with Activ-l if he felt the M6 wasn't suitable. A little off topic, but in regards to placing an artificial disc specifically at the L5-S1 level, Clavel mentioned there will a reevaluation as to whether implanting an ADR there is suitable at all, due the slope of the spine at that level and the sheer forces it takes. I know Activ-L boasts a design that addresses the S1 level specifically, but it seems that segment may be heading down the road to contraindication for an ADR. Food for thought. Until then, it's still up to the surgeon to decide. If your issue is with this S1 segment, it may be of greater benefit to go with the Activ-L. For patients seeking Clavel, it would be wise to mention this to him. Clavel has experience with it and would probably use it if you preferred, but Zeegers would be a better choice for this disc, his history with it is vast. It's amazing how much you need to be informed and be your own advocate when it comes to spinal care.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.