Thread: Hi There
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM

Default Hi There

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bernadette and I am 54 years old and new to this site. I received a back and neck injury on Active duty (Air Force) in 1998 and have tried everything that eastern/western medicine can do for all the side effects that I suffer on a daily basis without surgery. On January 31st 2014 I finally agreed with my pain management doctor and husband in getting an upper lumbar steroid injection. It was disasterous as I had an allergic reaction and my whole body felt the side-effects for months. I was placed on FMLA and STD in March 2014 and am still on it until the end of this month. Thankfully, I paid into LTD and hope that I will be approved once the STD ends.

Just recently I went to the spine institute in Johnstown, Colorado to see if I was a candidate for my DDD and was told that I wasn't a candidate for the DDD and needed three artificial disc in my cervical (multi-level) C5, 6, 7 and Lumbar L5-S1. My insurance Tricare (United Health Care) denied the claim twice. First stating it was experimental which I refuted and then the second time around they responded that they will only approve one level in the spine and the lumbar is still considered experimental. I submitted another appeal this week to a second party to review and also submitted a package to the VA asking them if they could pay for my surgery since it is all service-connected and I am rated at 80 percent disabled through the VA.

I am getting very frustrated with the medical system in the US and have been suffering from severe depression fighting for everything I need to be healthy again. I also suffer from chronic pain syndrome and did get a stem cell procedure via IV in July since I was a candidate for it. The Stem Cell Institute said it takes 3-6 months to notice an improvement. I've already noticed that it is starting to work and hope that I can get off some of the medications that I am on soon.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the information I've been reading on these boards and it has helped me in not feeling so alone as I advocate for my health and know there are others out there fighting as well. Thank you all for your help and support. It is truly appreciated.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy