View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Hanshan, I think the 1st thing you can do is read your mri report. It should mention something about the degree of facet degeneration at L5-S1. If moderate to severe (or grade 3 to 4) then fusion is the optimal option. That is probably the 1st criteria. Beyond that, I also concur with Drew in that right around the time I had my surgery (April this year) I heard of a spine conference in which many of the top spine surgeons world wide attended, adr at L5-S1 was being re-evaluated. It seems that the majority of adr failures do take place at that particular level, L5-S1. Look at yours or any mri and you can see the obvious angle it has as compared to those levels above. From all my research, the majority of successful fusions are at that level, probably because it is not considered a motion segment like those above. I do think based on what I know that the surgeons are being more selective for adr at L5-S1.

If you want a comprehensive understanding, Dr. Zeegers will be happy to explain it. Also, the Activ-L which Dr Zeegers uses has a uniquely designed disc specifically for L5-S1.

Hen
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision