View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Default with all due respect

Harrison,

I understand your concern for medical care outside the US. I have been an US Army dependent wife; and I have had surgery in Panama Central America and Germany. My care in Germany was excellent. My doctors were not English or American. May be they don’t need malpractice there because they do it right the first time. Can you sight anyone that has been paralyzed or died here from having seen either Bierstadt or Clavel?
You also forget; there are those of us here on this site that have prior fusion and need more than two levels done, so no option here in the US. I don’t want a Mobi-c that is going to cause more adjacent level stress. I need the most shock absorption I can get.
I recently had a US doctor want to put a Bryan under my fusion, remove my plate and screws, possibly takedown the fusion at my C 5/6 just to get to a bone spur, and said he would check the PEEK cage at C ¾ to see if it was loose from not having fused. WOW! Doctors here that are that aggressive may have need for malpractice because that surgery would be very risky!
Let us not forget also that doctors here only sell what they are trained to do, or will be paid for by the insurance companies. What happened to “the Patient Bill of Rights”? Why didn’t my US surgeon tell me that there were other options rather than fusion? I could have had a 2 level ADR back in 2008. Now I am sitting here with this domino affect……………………………….
So I will go to Germany or Spain. Thank you very much!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany