View Single Post
Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 PM

Cheryl, I think you found your answer. When you know it's right, you just feel it. I finally made my decision. It's going to be Scott Blumenthal at Texas Back Institute (TBI). He sat down and spoke with me about the pros and cons of ADR. Since I intend to be active for as long as possible, he recommended the Mobi-C at just one level. The only other surgeon who recommended only one level was Dr. Bertagnoli. He would have used the ProDisc Nova (this version is not available in the U.S.). It would have required my hardware from the fusion to be removed. While I have no problem with removal (in some ways I like the idea), it isn't necessary with the Mobi-C.

I do not have insurance with out-of-network benefits, so I will be paying out of pocket. The whole thing will be just over $22K, including the hospital, surgery, anesthesia, follow-up, etc. He just felt like the right one for me. I could have looked for someone who was in my insurance plan. However, it is well worth the money, in my opinion, to have the right person do this, assuming one can come up with the funds. Don't forget all the tax deductions allowed for medical costs and medical travel. Not only that, but things that you wouldn't have been able to deduct previously can now be added on (i.e. doctor's copays at home, prescription copays, cosmetic surgery, lasix, anything medical not covered by insurance). This goes for you, your husband, and anyone else who is listed as a dependent on your tax return.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C