View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 01:05 AM

I am sorry to hear that you too were denied ADR surgery by your private insurer.

There's lots of discussion about the "insurance warrior" as well as individual experiences.

This a something you need to make yourself as informed as possible as to making a persuasive, legal, and financial case for your surgery.
Have you read Azfamilyguy's recent posts trying to gather certain info and hints how to write an effective appeal?

When you get to the stage of your appeal when you have a right to ask for an "independent medical review) please know that in the past some of us learned that when our file was sent out for an "independent review" we were shocked to learn what kinds of doctors were reviewing our case. Don't expect them to voluntarily assign your case for reveiw by orthopaedic surgeons. You need to demand peer to peer reviews by orthopaedic surgeons. You don't want a dermatologist or PCP performing the so called "independent review."

You also want to submit proof of coverage by other insurance companies...get copies from patients to prove it. Do a cost comparison why you're a better candidate for ADR over fusion, in terms of age, health, ability to return to work faster, and the anticipation of possible future medical costs for a failed fusion or adjacent level problems for fusion vx. ADR.

Get involved so that you know you did everything you could to make your one shot at his fight a good one.

In the alternative, does your employer offer Aetna or Cigna or another insurer more ADR friendly? Can you switch or look into your own individual health insurance policy?

good luck and read stuff on the forum about aprovals and denials. I hope I'm making sense, cuz it's late at night and I am starting to feel the effects of my sleeping pills!

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop